General music chat not warranting its own thread thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

We have the General metal thread but no General Music Thread.

I just discovered this band when I was buying CD's (yeah I know) the other day.

From Brisbane and awesome. I think Leaping Lindner might be a fan.

So post away....

Anthony Fantano rage guest programmer tonight. just lol.

Who the **** is he?

I looked at what he programmed and gave it a wide berth.

on the other hand, he played a lot of cool tracks.

I looked at the playlist yesterday and thought there was an imbalance between s**t and not s**t.

well, the thing about music is you have to listen to it, to know if it's good or not.

Well I based my judgement on what he was playing that I had heard and by weight of numbers the stuff I hadn't heard wouldn't interest me.

But you are correct.

Sort of.

on the other hand, he played a lot of cool tracks.
Pretty broad too; few genres, few eras, few tiers of popularity – pretty much a perfect bag of songs.

The tokenistic pop song was a bit obvious, I mean Beyonce? She's not that good, she's just a safe and (for some reason) cool bet for people mostly into alternative music who want to show they're open minded about pop but not willing to dig Taylor Swift in public.

I think he's an alright reviewer. Like everyone who critiques art, you'll agree and disagree and sometimes find some reviews bland, and sometimes find them thought-provoking. The main issue I have with him, aside from his terrible sense of humour, is his generally lame vibe... he seems a decent fella but I don't know. There's something unquantifiable and off about him. He also seems to have a real hatred for accessibility and I don't think I like his idea on what a good album should be. But he can say some interesting things about music and has lots of interest, passion, and genuine knowledge about some broad and crevice-sitting songs and bands. I can't begrudge him too much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, I always liked Fantano, and thought it was cool he popped up on rage (something different). Agree or disagree with his reviews, taste or personality, but he was always a captivating, good-natured reviewer whose love of music was clear, a deserving turn of the decade youtube sensation. Back in 2010 I used to check out The Needle Drop a fair bit, and from memory it was his review that got me to check out Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer. Whilst he is a lot more twee than myself, circa 2010 our tastes corresponded a fair bit.

He is also one of the only mainstream reviewers that attempts to review latterday Autechre properly (even if mostly failing), despite being inundated with new music to review, so I also tend to give him a fair bit of cred for that. In IDM circles he is generally tolerated as earnest and well-intended, rather than some assembly line pitchfork hack.

Reviewing everything relentlessly for years on end can be exhausting as well. People (with no sense) like to mock critics, but it isn't always as easy to keep up as it looks, particularly good reviewers.

Last edited:
The tokenistic pop song was a bit obvious, I mean Beyonce? She's not that good, she's just a safe and (for some reason) cool bet for people mostly into alternative music who want to show they're open minded about pop but not willing to dig Taylor Swift in public.
That tokenistic pop thing has been going on for years, particularly since around the time of JT's FutureSex/LoveSounds. It's completely transparent, but then again people like to be told what to listen to. It's always cringeworthy seeing the same several pop artists make an approved appearance in YIR lists. Even in recent years with the meshing of pop and indie/alternative, it still remains much the same.

Does anyone at all remember the Trilobites? a band from the mid 80s who were never big but my god they had some awesome songs and were awesome live. Probably a precurser to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizards only not as prolific and better.

Yeah, I always liked Fantano, and thought it was cool he popped up on rage (something different). Agree or disagree with his reviews, taste or personality, but he was always a captivating, good-natured reviewer whose love of music was clear, a deserving turn of the decade youtube sensation. Back in 2010 I used to check out The Needle Drop a fair bit, and from memory it was his review that got me to check out Gonjasufi's A Sufi and a Killer. Whilst he is a lot more twee than myself, circa 2010 our tastes corresponded a fair bit.

He is also one of the only mainstream reviewers that attempts to review latterday Autechre properly (even if mostly failing), despite being inundated with new music to review, so I also tend to give him a fair bit of cred for that. In IDM circles he is generally tolerated as earnest and well-intended, rather than some assembly line pitchfork hack.

Reviewing everything relentlessly for years on end can be exhausting as well. People (with no sense) like to mock critics, but it isn't always as easy to keep up as it looks, particularly good reviewers.

The only reason I mock critics is because they are irrelevant to me.

The only reason I mock critics is because they are irrelevant to me.
So in other words, you respond to art in a vacuum, and have no interest in surrounding discussion, whether before or after experiencing it. You like art, but find talking about it irrelevant. Yet, you are on a Music board. How can that be?

Critics are just people like you and me, except they are generally trusted to voice their opinions professionally whereas we are not. That's the only real difference.

A hack of a music reviewer. He's cultivated a group of loyal drones that hang off his every rating as if it were gospel.
Thats because he has a skill of saying the most simple or predictable thing in a voice and manner that sounds really important.

So in other words, you respond to art in a vacuum, and have no interest in surrounding discussion, whether before or after experiencing it. You like art, but find talking about it irrelevant. Yet, you are on a Music board. How can that be?

Critics are just people like you and me, except they are generally trusted to voice their opinions professionally whereas we are not. That's the only real difference.

But why are they trusted?

No matter how much you think you dislike and always talk negatively about a certain artists music, has anyone ever changed their mind after giving them a listen or another listen to actually really enjoy it and admit it?

I seem to be doing it a bit lately.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back