Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
i hope Penguin" do not fall over" after the govt wasting 10 million on the ground redevelopment
votes votes and more votes

i hope Penguin" do not fall over" after the govt wasting 10 million on the ground redevelopment
Agree with comments that the SWL is stronger than the current three Regional Major Leagues. But ii will present an alternative view.
Tassie football arguably was at its strongest in the periods up to the seventies and then we must also remember that the maiin associations were TA NFL.NWFU and NTFA. No statewide league,
If the SWL were to go into recess yes there probably be an inbalance for a season or two, however given the keen rivalries amongst the regional communities and enhanced support the gap should narrow.
IF SWL is to survive it needs to be on level playing field yes NWL clubs deserve home fonaals and a share association promontia l games. AFL TAS and AFL need to promote the game and provide financial support to SWL Clubs but also the minor leagues that will allsp hopfully provide players and associated supprt staff to the SWL. SWL ensure they provide assistance to clubs within their region.
The AFL be seen to provide all assistance that is possible and enhance rjunior structures and finally AFL Tasmania take ther head out of the sand and admit "yep" there is a problem and show some leadership instead of the Yes Minister syndrome form a committee..
Blind Freddie can see that there are problems in country Leagues viz NEFU, perhaps encourage reduction of teams ie 18 to 16 or even 14 players in rural areas, in areas where it is needed reduction of second 18 sides, encourage partnership with Netball Tasmania. To have netball played as per Victoria country football.. encourage junior sides,
Tasmania needs more participants not AFL watches. Hopefully who knows the leven could get going again.?..

Madmug I always find your comments interesting but that one about no live streaming was a fuddy duddy comment if ever I have seen one. D Gill has livened up the online presence of the TSL.
Should be a cracker tomorrow but with Doran and Duigan playing seniors for the Tigers, I suggest they lack depth and am picking the Demons.

A touch off there Buffalo Soldier, both named in the best players and a comprehensive win to Tigers. It would suggest a long year for the Demons

Im not sure why you are so crabby about this. The local council got some federal and state money and tipped a fair few million in themselves to build a high standard facility in their municipality, it happens all the time all over the country. You might have a bit more to complain about soon if the rumours up the coast are correct that completion of more seating and grandstands will be fast tracked with funding from multiple sources that I wont mention. It seems to me AFL Tas may be wanting to use use this as a bargaining tool to try and get some north west teams back on side but the only chance of that happening will be a north/south conference arrangement, there is zero chance of them being involved in the current configuration.

Im not sure why you are so crabby about this. The local council got some federal and state money and tipped a fair few million in themselves to build a high standard facility in their municipality, it happens all the time all over the country. You might have a bit more to complain about soon if the rumours up the coast are correct that completion of more seating and grandstands will be fast tracked with funding from multiple sources that I wont mention. It seems to me AFL Tas may be wanting to use use this as a bargaining tool to try and get some north west teams back on side but the only chance of that happening will be a north/south conference arrangement, there is zero chance of them being involved in the current configuration.

We've always wanted a more structured conference system that means you play in your conference mainly, then cross over & play the other conference but much less. Then finals as usual. Its a bit like how the SEABL basketball do it.

The trick is how to structure it. The version we've agreed on ( our expert local footy mob, over beers & red. :)), was with the NWC 2, N 2, & S 4. that was play home & away twice in region (N or S) that gives 12 games. then a full cross over once H&A gives 8 games. Thats a 20 game season. Or if you want less trips, then split the cross over into 4 games & reverse the next year. that gives a 16 game season. You could then play a final 6 if you wanted more games.

With only one NWC & 3 in N makes that one NWC team have to travel to Launceston a lot.

Our preference was & would be to have both NWC teams in so as to get a number of home derby games (4) & to limit the travel to a minimum for a state league.

Anyway, the AFL experts will come up with 'something' no doubt.

We've always wanted a more structured conference system that means you play in your conference mainly, then cross over & play the other conference but much less. Then finals as usual. Its a bit like how the SEABL basketball do it.

The trick is how to structure it. The version we've agreed on ( our expert local footy mob, over beers & red. :)), was with the NWC 2, N 2, & S 4. that was play home & away twice in region (N or S) that gives 12 games. then a full cross over once H&A gives 8 games. Thats a 20 game season. Or if you want less trips, then split the cross over into 4 games & reverse the next year. that gives a 16 game season. You could then play a final 6 if you wanted more games.

With only one NWC & 3 in N makes that one NWC team have to travel to Launceston a lot.

Our preference was & would be to have both NWC teams in so as to get a number of home derby games (4) & to limit the travel to a minimum for a state league.

Anyway, the AFL experts will come up with 'something' no doubt.

If statewide continues getting the structure of the comp is definitely important. 8 teams seems about right otherwise the talent is too diluted. The 4S, 3N and 1 NWC is interesting and not sure how that works out in population terms per team but seems a reasonable split. Certainly at the moment you could add a team in the north but things can change pretty quickly. How do you lose one from the south and gain one from the north and the coast ?

SOUTH: Merge Lauderdale and Clarence? Both strong teams but cover similar area. You would think a central/west, south, north and east would be the go and based on relevant major southern councils - Hobart (NH), Kingborough, Glenorchy and Clarence. Can't imagine anyone e.g. Lauderdale readily agreeing to go back to regional league after they have invested money and effort into SWL. In Lauderdale's case they have performed well on field of late so have as strong a case as any for inclusion
NORTH: who gets added in - go back to South Launceston? After the stuff up with prospect I have no idea if this is viable. Could you have an NTFA combined team making up the 3rd northern team?
COAST: If Burnie and Devonport are out of contention then possibly Penguin with the new complex or a new side representing the region. Difficulties in doing that and building a side from scratch and hard to garner support.

I like your 4/3/1 model and mooted roster but there are difficulties in arranging this. Interested to hear how your league would look team wise

The thing is, the remaining TSL clubs (particularly the two Northern sides, interestingly enough) have been quite vocal about keeping the roster at full H&A, and not weighting in favour of region as was the case for the first 7 seasons. Full H&A plus a couple of rivalry triple-ups were done the last two years, and this year's is a completely symmetrical 3 games each. That's what they wanted, even though the roster bias was a carrot thrown in back in 2008 when trying to entice teams into the new league...

The thing is, the remaining TSL clubs (particularly the two Northern sides, interestingly enough) have been quite vocal about keeping the roster at full H&A, and not weighting in favour of region as was the case for the first 7 seasons. Full H&A plus a couple of rivalry triple-ups were done the last two years, and this year's is a completely symmetrical 3 games each. That's what they wanted, even though the roster bias was a carrot thrown in back in 2008 when trying to entice teams into the new league...
Its easy for the 2 northern clubs to be part of a full home and away roster as they are geographically central with their maximum trip time being 2 hours to Hobart. I wonder how keen they would be on 5 x 8 hour return trips to Hobart like the coastal sides had to do. They need to think a bit more about the comp in general and not just themselves.

Tipping leaderboard round 1

Halftimehero 3
Buffalo Solder 2
Grey Budgie 2
Gibbke 1
Madmug 1
Whowants2know 1

If statewide continues getting the structure of the comp is definitely important. 8 teams seems about right otherwise the talent is too diluted. The 4S, 3N and 1 NWC is interesting and not sure how that works out in population terms per team but seems a reasonable split. Certainly at the moment you could add a team in the north but things can change pretty quickly. How do you lose one from the south and gain one from the north and the coast ?

SOUTH: Merge Lauderdale and Clarence? Both strong teams but cover similar area. You would think a central/west, south, north and east would be the go and based on relevant major southern councils - Hobart (NH), Kingborough, Glenorchy and Clarence. Can't imagine anyone e.g. Lauderdale readily agreeing to go back to regional league after they have invested money and effort into SWL. In Lauderdale's case they have performed well on field of late so have as strong a case as any for inclusion
NORTH: who gets added in - go back to South Launceston? After the stuff up with prospect I have no idea if this is viable. Could you have an NTFA combined team making up the 3rd northern team?
COAST: If Burnie and Devonport are out of contention then possibly Penguin with the new complex or a new side representing the region. Difficulties in doing that and building a side from scratch and hard to garner support.

I like your 4/3/1 model and mooted roster but there are difficulties in arranging this. Interested to hear how your league would look team wise
Having only one team on the coast is not a good idea in my opinion as the travel factor comes into play again with a reasonable trip for them every second weekend almost. If the new strucure is attractive to the coast to be involved there is plenty of talent on the coast to form 2 competitive sides. As for Penguin coming in I would say there is less chance of that than Burnie or Devonport coming back as they are very loyal to the local league.

The extra travel seems to have been the straw that broke Devonport & Burnie.

Many call for a balanced fixture in competition, but even the AFL don't have it.

I think its clear we can't have a balanced H&A fixture in a State league. It needs to be weighted in favour of less travel.

Having only one team on the coast is not a good idea in my opinion as the travel factor comes into play again with a reasonable trip for them every second weekend almost. If the new strucure is attractive to the coast to be involved there is plenty of talent on the coast to form 2 competitive sides. As for Penguin coming in I would say there is less chance of that than Burnie or Devonport coming back as they are very loyal to the local league.

We recon it has to be both Burnie & Devonport. With extra funds for travel & a travel payment allowance on top of the salary cap based on KM traveled & the number of games played out of region.

The salary cap must be increased by 50% as a minimum for all clubs. Itll be best with 4 southern clubs, then 4 northern. IOO (In our opinion :))

Trivia - speaking of Penguin's loyalty - Penguin was booted out of the 5-team 1937 NWFU because of the bye! There was no other reason, they drew the short straw...! They joined the newly formed Darwin FA with Cooee, Wynyard and City (a Burnie team) until the war, with the four remaining NWFU sides happily rejoicing in their lack of footy free weekends with some vague memory they couldn't place of this other blue side they once knew, and then once the war was over, the NWFU was reformed with west and east divisions, meaning Penguin got back in by default because the DFA was what they created the west div from. City stayed in the DFA and new teams joined them, which is why today's DFA looks nothing like the 1930's version...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trivia - speaking of Penguin's loyalty - Penguin was booted out of the 5-team 1937 NWFU because of the bye! There was no other reason, they drew the short straw...! They joined the newly formed Darwin FA with Cooee, Wynyard and City (a Burnie team) until the war, with the four remaining NWFU sides happily rejoicing in their lack of footy free weekends with some vague memory they couldn't place of this other blue side they once knew, and then once the war was over, the NWFU was reformed with west and east divisions, meaning Penguin got back in by default because the DFA was what they created the west div from. City stayed in the DFA and new teams joined them, which is why today's DFA looks nothing like the 1930's version...

Geez you dig deep!. I don't even worry about the 1967 state final that North Hobart had won except for the NWC cheats. ;)

That's interesting. Lots of people wonder how the hell a country league in Burnie can be called the Darwin Football Association but I think the elecorate of Braddon used to be called Darwin and thats the only explanation I can think of.

That's interesting. Lots of people wonder how the hell a country league in Burnie can be called the Darwin Football Association but I think the elecorate of Braddon used to be called Darwin and thats the only explanation I can think of.

Google says, Charles Darwin visited Hobart in 1836. Mt Darwin on the west coast was named after him. And as you say, the seat of Braddon was once the electorate of Darwin. Interesting read all that. :)

I'm on a Trove mission. It's a thing me and Kingpin are kind of pursuing at the moment (coincidentally, not in an actual partnership, although we do send each other what we've got when it's finished), him chasing up modern scores in the south via the state library as well as being responsible for wiki's TFL scores, and me going for everything that Trove has access to - basically anything before 1955. No library visits for me here living near Cairns...! I'm researching all three comps plus intrastate and interstate from 1941 backwards until I run out of info...and there are a few gaps here and there, although I've finished all three seasons so far (1941, 1940 and 1939) with everything accounted for and adding up. All q by q scores, goalkickers, results, venues, etc. Not bothering with best players on the day, but I'm trying to track down all b&f's and club awards too. I've done the first two weeks of 1938 recently, which is why I had this little snippet handy above by coincidence...! Sounds slow, but the leagues only had three teams each until the mid-20's, so about this time next year I should be up to that point and it might get finished reasonably quickly after that. I've also done 1879-81, and there are lots of discrepancies...this doesn't seem to right itself properly until near 1900. Not sure how to get post-1954 scores - got an NLA card which simply sends you to indexes, and various state libraries won't let you access things online...otherwise, it's an airfare...!

Fascinating stuff...it's interesting to read non-sports pages as well, because of course 1938-41 was the formation of WW2...

The way the NW evolved was very tumultuous. Teams in and out, leagues changing every year...I'm going to cover the Darwin Association from its formation until the NWFU teams left after the war, because it's the continuation of the history of Cooee, Wynyard and Penguin as well, rivalries which they've always had in comps no worse in standard than the union...

It's not over till it's over...Malcolm Blight missed an easier shot to win a game than that...you never know...!

Dicky Collins had the mark 15 yards out, dead in front, but wasn't allowed to kick it as the crowd invaded & pulled the goal post out!. North supporters actually carried the Goal post to the train station & got it in through the carriage window & onto the floor!!! The station master refused to let the train go until they got it out. :)
its all golden stuff & shows the sad lack of characters & character in society & sport today. :(

what happened at thug park between Lauderdale and Clarence
must be unbiased reply please :'(:'(:'(

You can see the slam tackle on Tasmanian football scores & news site. A very ugly & very dangerous looking tackle. I note the Winter replacement coach said it would be harsh to have your career ended because of that report. I think he's kidding. The guy already had 14 weeks suspension. A tackle like that has no place in any kind of sport. Even the thugby players would get 6 weeks for that one.

You can see the slam tackle on Tasmanian football scores & news site. A very ugly & very dangerous looking tackle. I note the Winter replacement coach said it would be harsh to have your career ended because of that report. I think he's kidding. The guy already had 14 weeks suspension. A tackle like that has no place in any kind of sport. Even the thugby players would get 6 weeks for that one.

You are so far out of touch with real football issues its not funny.
Tackles like that happen all the time, he didn't turn him and drop him on his head or even his shoudler. It was graded low impact to the BODY, how on earth is that even a reportable offence?

You are so far out of touch with real football issues its not funny.
Tackles like that happen all the time, he didn't turn him and drop him on his head or even his shoudler. It was graded low impact to the BODY, how on earth is that even a reportable offence?
its all the previous BAD behaviour that will c him get life ( regardless the severity of this one)
Katie Brennan had form, so she got duded out of the big dance

its all the previous BAD behaviour that will c him get life ( regardless the severity of this one)
Katie Brennan had form, so she got duded out of the big dance

He wont get life you muppett, get a clue.

The previou record means stuff all when this particular incident shouldn't be a suspension at all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back