Alex Wright (Norwood)

Jack Tuthill

North Launceston

Ins:

Outs:

Michael Stingel (Norwood)
Tom Bennett
Corey Nankervis

* will only add confirmed as there are obviously heaps of rumours out there.

* post here and I’ll add on

Last edited:
Question for you - do you have complete SFL scores - QbyQ, goalkickers, venues and times for seniors, plus venues times and final scores for Res and Colts - for the years 2015-16-17-18? In the true spirit of knobjockery, Sportingpulse has cleaned house and gotten rid of all the old stuff without archiving...
Only have quarter by quarters for finals.
All SFL Senior matches start at 2pm.

Really not sure, I think maybe the best thing would be to go to two divisions with promotion/relegation.
Div 1
Clarence
North Hobart
Glenorchy
Tigers
Lauderdale
Lindisfarne
Div 2
Huonville
New Norfolk
Cygnet
Hobart
Brighton
Sorell
Dodges Ferry

Put Farne in as they were last premier but I expect Huonville to win this year.
There should never be promotion or relegation. It's s**t in every sport and is a relic of amateurism, which doesn't apply even to local pleb footy these days. If they go with losing the TSL, they must decide who's top level and who isn't, and set them up with appropriate structures so that they can spend their time creating their niche and not worrying how they're going to pay for next season if they manage to win the bloody thing and get promoted...

There should never be promotion or relegation. It's sh*t in every sport and is a relic of amateurism, which doesn't apply even to local pleb footy these days. If they go with losing the TSL, they must decide who's top level and who isn't, and set them up with appropriate structures so that they can spend their time creating their niche and not worrying how they're going to pay for next season if they manage to win the bloody thing and get promoted...
Having been apart of the VAFA I think it worked well there. Stopped constant belting of the same Club for year upon year and stopped clubs wanting to just buy a premiership by recruiting a few players for a year. In terms of pay do you mean dollars? I think every team should have the same salary cap in this model.

Really not sure, I think maybe the best thing would be to go to two divisions with promotion/relegation.
Div 1
Clarence
North Hobart
Glenorchy
Tigers
Lauderdale
Lindisfarne
Div 2
Huonville
New Norfolk
Cygnet
Hobart
Brighton
Sorell
Dodges Ferry

Didn't they do this like 15 years ago? and then in 2009, they changed to the TSL

Having been apart of the VAFA I think it worked well there. Stopped constant belting of the same Club for year upon year and stopped clubs wanting to just buy a premiership by recruiting a few players for a year. In terms of pay do you mean dollars? I think every team should have the same salary cap in this model.
Nah. You've got to have an elite level in there somewhere, and you'll never convince Glenorchy, Clarence, Launceston and North Launceston to slum it with their chequebooks. That means a much more generous allowance with salary capping for top division teams, otherwise the best standard of footy you'll see in Tassie will only be that VAFA level. Also, other teams will only handle seniors and seconds, kind of like the NTFA situation where Div 1 currently fields three and Div 2 just the 2. You wouldn't want the stability of your league threatened as Brighton showed when they only played reserves. Put the sides in the division they can handle, keep them there, and maybe geographically align it...Tasmanians hate travel...

Div 1
Clarence
North Hobart
Glenorchy
Tigers
Lauderdale
Lindisfarne
Div 2
Huonville
New Norfolk
Cygnet
Hobart
Brighton
Sorell
Dodges Ferry

Claremont?? i would have New Norfolk in div 1 are a lagre area, they have solid junior team representation to back this up also makes for 7 teams for each divsion

you could argue having lauderdale, Clarence & Lindisfarne all in the same league doesn't quite work geographically -

What happens with Triabunna & Richmond next season - i have herd the current OSFA clubs are keen to keep Richmond out to keep it a true "old scholars comp"

i highly doubt the ODFA will get up

Claremont?? i would have New Norfolk in div 1 are a lagre area, they have solid junior team representation to back this up also makes for 7 teams for each divsion

you could argue having lauderdale, Clarence & Lindisfarne all in the same league doesn't quite work geographically -

What happens with Triabunna & Richmond next season - i have herd the current OSFA clubs are keen to keep Richmond out to keep it a true "old scholars comp"

i highly doubt the ODFA will get up

Yer i forgot Claremont.
Im really not sure how theyll make the leagues work. But i like the 7 in Div 1 and 7 in Div 2. Lindisfarne and Cygnet have the strongest junior systems at the moment from the SFL clubs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1986 East v Clarence R02, South v New Norfolk R17, both York Park, and South v Clarence R18 at Youngtown. I took all these with a dodgy little brownie! East wore the state jumpers in R02, and then had a pretty cool red jumper from R04. Many of the teams took their time transitioning into the new look of the TFL - Clarence had the TANFL logo and no Cascade sponsorship in R02, but were all done in R18. The week before, North played Sandy Bay in the season opener, and two of the Bay players had the blue backs while the rest of the squad didn't. My cousin Michael is in the middle of the middle shot off the ball - best on ground in the R18 match. Wilky loved him, would spend half the game commentating on just him whenever East matches were on the radio! Big crowds in R02 were pretty much gone by R17. Can name a few East players - 25 Chris Pollington with cuz under Clarence no.10's armpit, Wyllie is taking the big mark, no.2's name was Glenn (!), and Tony Hately is the guy with the helmet.
View attachment 513484 View attachment 513485 View attachment 513486 View attachment 513487 View attachment 513488

What is East Launy wearing? A red jumper with a navy monogram? If so, I would love to see what the monogram looks like. If there are any better pics you have?

Actually, yes, check this out. It was on FB a few weeks ago. Second jumper on the top line. For sentimental reasons, it's my favourite jumper of all time...! I would sell you all into slavery if it meant getting my hands on this jumper...
117912236_10218844361846306_3454807020386406809_n.jpg

Last edited:
Would have got them all today after a crap effort last week. 24/42 for the season. Would love to say Covid wrecked my powers of footy tipping in 2020, but...nah...it didn't...played against just myself all season and still didn't win...!

1951-Clarence-FC-Rex-Geard-Jack-Bennett-Mike-Clennett-V-Sandy-Bay-768x554.jpg

1951 Photo Linked from Clarence Football Club website, As madmug mentions, great original Jumpers pity both sides chamged and went for the VFL South Melbourne North Melbourne Knock offs.
L-R: Rex Geard (SB), Jack Bennett (Clar), Mike Clennett (SB)

Attachments

• sbb.jpg
    sbb.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 123
Their juniors are in disarray and have been for 5+ years. AFLTAS needs to enforce the zones harder or Glenorchy will be SFL standard shortly if not already there by next year.
Glenorchy have always been a strong club but makes sense if their juniors getting raided to other clubs, surprised North Hobart doesnt have the same problem

Speaking about Juniors, Glenorchy Colts (U18s) haven't made finals for 5+ years. It's interesting that how much talent goes towards Clarence
Clarence had a massive zone to choose from, but from 3 SFL clubs they lost a lot of youngsters but would be a surprise that they are getting kids from Glenorchy area to fill their boots

Clarence had a massive zone to choose from, but from 3 SFL clubs they lost a lot of youngsters but would be a surprise that they are getting kids from Glenorchy area to fill their boots
My take on it, just an opinion.
1st problem is Brighton area should be a Glenorchy Zone. Clarence has the Lindisfarne area already which is a growth area and a strong area for juniors.
2nd problem Newtown High. So easy for kids to walk across to NTO to train with NHJFC.
3rd problem years of being belted. Kids don’t want to go to bad teams.
4th problem disconnect from Claremont juniors. Claremont normally get teams to under 15s then fold. Those kids get lost to either quitting, going to North Hobart because their school mates play there or lost in SFL twos/18s.
5th problem low socio-economic area where parents can’t afford fees/ driving kids to games or would rather kids on an iPad or PlayStation and not pushing exercise.
6th problem AFLTAS not being stronger with kids to play in your zone. They need to start calling bluffs. Thankfully for Glenorchy sake they stopped Simpson and Thompson from going to NH at start of year. Anyone in these zones choosing to play elsewhere should be prevented.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back