Gerry Harvey is a fat ****

Remove this Banner Ad

You just contradicted your own arguement by stating I said some and than turning it into all, try again.

He may have been self-contradictory, but I don't think so. He at least wrote something comprehensible, of which you found yourself totally incapable here. It might be better to assemble your thoughts and any composure you can muster before you go off on one of your rants.

Monkster;13103035.[I said:
Now the argument that it makes you just as bad as the other person I can see[/I].

What, if anything, does this mean? Did you miss that day at your school when the uses of syntax and punctuation were addressed?

What, if anything, does this mean? Did you miss that day at your school when the uses of syntax and punctuation were addressed?

Are you serious? Here I'll break it down it for the slow people.

What I was saying was that I can understand the argument that capital punishment makes you just as bad as the person that you are punishing with death.

Do you understand now?

He may have been self-contradictory, but I don't think so. He at least wrote something comprehensible, of which you found yourself totally incapable here. It might be better to assemble your thoughts and any composure you can muster before you go off on one of your rants.

poor old St. Monkster has such a chip on his shoulder he's having trouble making any sense at all

poor old St. Monkster has such a chip on his shoulder he's having trouble making any sense at all

The frustration at being unable to express himself intelligibly is beginning to show. His second attempt at a very straightforward paragraph is barely better than his first. We should encourage him to try again though. Maybe not. I fear he's a lost cause.

BTW Monkster, who is "the other person I can see" to whom you referred in Post #100? Maybe it was some sort of apparition? Have you been taking your medication?

BTW Monkster, who is "the other person I can see" to whom you referred in Post #100? Maybe it was some sort of apparition? Have you been taking your medication?

Sorry who appointed you the grammar police?

BTW jokes about mental illness are really classy :)

do you wanna stop putting words in my mouth champ?

Is that your usual discussion technique. Maybe I should try it.

So... you obviously think that because some people **** their lives up with drugs, that no-one who's homeless deserves any help. In fact, I can extrapolate from what your saying, that there should in fact be extermination squads in operation to rid the streets of these scum.

That's a pretty hardline Monkster, I didn't know you were such a dick-head :rolleyes:

Stop being so ****ing melodramatic Lance, you know Monkster is not saying that. Accept the fact that there are a number of homeless people out there that are in their situation. No matter how much money and services are provided to them, they will not take any responsibility to improve their situation, they choose their destiny.

Stop being so ****ing melodramatic Lance, you know Monkster is not saying that. Accept the fact that there are a number of homeless people out there that are in their situation. No matter how much money and services are provided to them, they will not take any responsibility to improve their situation, they choose their destiny.

holy s**t, you can't be serious...

Lance Uppercut said:
do you wanna stop putting words in my mouth champ?

Is that your usual discussion technique. Maybe I should try it...

Sorry who appointed you the grammar police?

BTW jokes about mental illness are really classy :)

I wasn't making jokes about mental illness, I was making jokes about you. I can readily understand how the confusion may have arisen in your mind.

I wasn't making jokes about mental illness, I was making jokes about you. I can readily understand how the confusion may have arisen in your mind.

Making jokes about people seeing things because they haven't taken their medication? How is that not a joke about people with a mental illness?

Making jokes about people seeing things because they haven't taken their medication? How is that not a joke about people with a mental illness?

Because it's a joke about your inadequate methods of communication. The medication I've recommended to you may have nothing whatsoever to do with mental illness. If you think it does, there's nothing I can do to alter that perception you have. How are your stress levels? As if I'd care.

If you wish to insist that you have a mental illness, I may reconsider my response, but it's unlikely.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've just made 50 grand building a network and installing a new telephone system in one of the new Harvey Norman stores opening today in country WA.

The guys a legend in my books.

If you suddenly became homeless and unemployed how would you begin to rebuild your life?

The first step would be a job. Can this be achieved without a fixed address? Can you still work for cash in hand? (maybe at a market or something like that). If not what is the next option? If you can't get unemployment benefits due to a lack of an address where do you start?

http://business.theage.com.au/business/retail-king-slams-nohoper-charity-20081120-6cwj.html

what a ****. He probably resents the fact that homeless don't buy his plasma tv's.
What do youm do? He'll get his one day.The greedy mug, no brains to understand the human condition, of course there are bludgers around everywhere ,but what of the people who are really down and out and can't help their situation. He'd want to hope he never has to ask for anything, the mug mightn't get it.

I think what Gerry was trying to say is that you can't help people that don't help themselves.

I mean I can keep giving money to a homeless person, but if he wastes it, makes no real attempt to turn his life around then Im' sure I wouldn't be giving too much more.

I mean who hasn't been in a situation where you give someone an opporunity, confide in them, but they don't help themselves. I have personally told people that I'm here to help you, but if you don't put in then you are on your own.

I believe this is what Gerry tried to say but atriculated it very poorly.

It must be catching !

I think so but it appears the lynch mob in this thread don't & want to believe the worst.

If Gerry is so mean & bad why did he do this .. "Earlier this year, Harvey Norman donated beds to a charity, Bridge Back to Life, that helps homeless men find rental accommodation"
http://business.smh.com.au/business/harvey-charity-not-so-sweet-20081120-6ct6.html

Harvey Norman is not Gerry Harvey. No doubt there was a nice little tax break involved.

That's the same article that said this, yes?

Mr Harvey said giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

Harvey Norman is not Gerry Harvey. No doubt there was a nice little tax break involved.

That's the same article that said this, yes?

Mr Harvey said giving money to people who "are not putting anything back into the community" is like "helping a whole heap of no-hopers to survive for no good reason".

you don't think they should LU?

Whilst he is being pretty blunt and not very compassionate, he has a point.

you don't think they should LU?

Whilst he is being pretty blunt and not very compassionate, he has a point.

ff I have no issues with the idea that people should take personal responsibility; and I have no doubt that some people abuse they system, particularly as it pertains to welfare etc. I do take issue though, I must say, with the idea that homelessness is a personal lifestyle choice. Sure, in a tiny minority of cases that may be fact, but anyone who has spent a night sleeping rough probably wouldn't want to repeat it too often by choice. But nevertheless, let's accept it happens.

My problem with Harvey's comments is that they propogate the "blame the victim" mentality. It's so easy, and we've seen it done in this thread - point to one bad egg abusing the system, and besmirch the vast majority of those who don't, thus hardening hearts and actually making it harder to give assistance where needed.

Homelessness and welfare abuse are such different issues. I've posed the question before: how exactly do you "get a job" when you don't have a home, bed, shower, forwarding address etc etc?

I'm sure that Harvey regrets being so thoughtless with his choice of words, but that doesn't excuse the fact that he said them. To call homeless people, particularly, a drain on society, no-hopers that don't deserve assistance, is callous in the extreme, particularly when the author of those words can afford to wipe his arse on $100 notes.

These comments, wittingly or otherwise, shed harsh light on the dark heart of Harvey and his business; and are symptomatic of the death of the concept of the Australian fair go. **** him, I simply won't shop there anymore, and I hope others feel the same, frankly

Homelessness and welfare abuse are such different issues. I've posed the question before: how exactly do you "get a job" when you don't have a home, bed, shower, forwarding address etc etc?

How? Where do you start? Do you know anyone who has done it and how did they go about it?

I think a certain amount of benefit should be provided to the homeless - enough for the cheapest shelter, basic food etc etc.

However, I do think this money should be given to them in cash. This is where personal responsibility comes in. It's the responsibility of the government to provide society with the means to acquire nessecary services, to advise how the money should be spent - but it's not their duty to actually enforce where the money goes.

If the homeless blow their money inappropriately, that is their right to choose. We should still giving them the basic means to live/clean up their act though, even if it's wasted.

There is no argument there, by definition murder is illegal killing, if it's state sanctioned it's not illegal, therefore it's not murder.

Now the argument that it makes you just as bad as the other person I can see.

The definition of murder has nothing to do with the terms 'legal' and 'illegal'. Murder is defined as 'Killing intentionally and with premeditation'.

Execution by the state is certainly intentional and premeditated, which makes it murder by definition.

The legality of state execution, or killing of civilians in state-declared war (collateral damage anyone?) is a falsehood pushed only by the perpetrators. Intentional and premeditated murder is murder, regardless of whether a 'state' calls it 'legal'.

The definition of murder has nothing to do with the terms 'legal' and 'illegal'. Murder is defined as 'Killing intentionally and with premeditation'.

From the Queensland Criminal Code Act 1899:

Definition of murder
(1) Except as hereinafter set forth, a person who unlawfully kills
another under any of the following circumstances

Remove this Banner Ad

Back