Gil's Era is Ruining the Game?

Remove this Banner Ad

all Hocking has to do is ask himself what terrifies a defensive coach the most.

It's uncertainty.

What is the only avenue to certainty in AFL? It is the 15 metre chip kick. Very hard to stop it happening, because it's a trivial act for two 90 kg power athletes, and it buys you immunity from the opposition for 10 seconds, then another 10 seconds, and another.

It is that certainty that destroys the spectacle of any sport.

The mark needs to stay in the game, but the things we love about it (pack marks/speccies) aren't coming from 15 metre chip kicks. They come from 40 metre kicks, and we love them becasue their outcome is uncertain, the opposition has time to man you up, they could get the ball off you, but at least you went forward 40 metres, and could go forward again.

Risk-reward, that is compelling, that is what fans love in any contest.

tldr: it's simple, lengthen the legal kick length, reduce that avenue to certainty and safety, everything the AFL and Ch7 wants will follow.

Agree, make it 25 meters before a mark is called, otherwise play on
any kick backwards should also be play on

It's move like this from the AFL that will see the game ruined.

I'd argue the NAB is the second most important league in the country in terms of what it does for the AFL and it's product yet the league is going to * with it and * it over in a way that will only have a negative impact.

And for what?

Zero point expanding the league further when the quality of product will be declining on terms of being AFL prepared going forward.

I'd argue the NAB is the second most important league in the country in terms of what it does for the AFL and it's product yet the league is going to fu** with it and fu** it over in a way that will only have a negative impact.

And for what?

Zero point expanding the league further when the quality of product will be declining on terms of being AFL prepared going forward.

That doesn't sound good, lets decrease the quality of young player's coming through, great idea.

I'd argue the NAB is the second most important league in the country in terms of what it does for the AFL and it's product yet the league is going to fu** with it and fu** it over in a way that will only have a negative impact.

And for what?

You really have to wonder what the hell they are doing, looks like they simply are more focused on the girls game than their bread and butter.
Not surprising though, they turn the sport into a different sport and now stuff up one of their elite pathways. Fail after fail from this organisation. Incredible that so many keep invested and following this joke of a league.

The game is already ruined, seriously considering whether I will bother to watch this year. The question is whether it can be rescued.

What does rescue look like though? 30 years ago we had a sport which everyone loved, crowds were great. They went and changed the rules so the sport is a hybrid version of Aussie Rules Football.
It was not broken yet they still changed it. To this day for reasons unknown.
Rescue for me Would be return the game to Aussie Rules Football, but unfortunately it’s gone to far now and as no one cared about the actual sport we lost it.

What does rescue look like though? 30 years ago we had a sport which everyone loved, crowds were great. They went and changed the rules so the sport is a hybrid version of Aussie Rules Football.
It was not broken yet they still changed it. To this day for reasons unknown.
Rescue for me Would be return the game to Aussie Rules Football, but unfortunately it’s gone to far now and as no one cared about the actual sport we lost it.

I have no idea what rescue looks like - and it will have to wait for post Gil anyway since he has no clue and is afraid of his shadow.

You really have to wonder what the hell they are doing, looks like they simply are more focused on the girls game than their bread and butter.
Not surprising though, they turn the sport into a different sport and now stuff up one of their elite pathways. Fail after fail from this organisation. Incredible that so many keep invested and following this joke of a league.

I thought that too after reading the article. When someone conflates the AFL with the AFLW, I ask what is their game? In this case its Tom Morris running the story.

Appointing non footy people to the Commission has seen the emphasis drift away from our game at the highest level.

Too many stupid rule changes and interpretations. Too many games decided by umpiring rather than merit. It's possible umpires have been bribed and nobody is none the wiser when watching.

The people complaining about those complaining about umpiring are arguably the worst thing in the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back