The Modern Era of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Poorly disguised plea for BF to talk about the premiers.
Ignorant Post

He has been given heaps of shiit by Richmond supporters - whenever he quotes Collingwood premierships won going right back - particularly the 4 in a row

Tiger supporters immediately come on and say - they are irrelevant - because they are so long ago - and you have only won a few premierships in so many years or whatever

To answer the thread title question - i also think 1990 is a reasonable starting point - AFL - Eagles and Crows come in - and if you look at 1989 well thats when Footscray nearly went broke - and in the 70s and 80s - they sold Bernie Quinlan Denis Collins Ian Dunstan Gary Dempsey Allan Stoneham - just to pay the bills and keep the doors open - well there is nothing modern and fair about that

Because before the OOF rule, defenders used to take the ball and hoof it into Row Z, hugging the boundary. That meant they didn't have to kick accurately, or think about where they were kicking, or even hit a teammate. They could also waste a heap of time and help the midfield get back.

1968 - roughly 2,700 goals kicked in 120 games.
1969 - roughly 3,300 goals kicked in the same number.
That just doesn't feel to me like it would have the massive impact that you are implying. But maybe I am just visualising it wrong. The numbers do certainly suggest something happened in the late 60s early 70s.

Sadly my AFL knowledge starts around the time there are good youtube replays of games (mid 70s).

Ignorant Post

He has been given heaps of shiit by Richmond supporters - whenever he quotes Collingwood premierships won going right back - particularly the 4 in a row

Tiger supporters immediately come on and say - they are irrelevant - because they are so long ago - and you have only won a few premierships in so many years or whatever

To answer the thread title question - i also think 1990 is a reasonable starting point - AFL - Eagles and Crows come in - and if you look at 1989 well thats when Footscray nearly went broke - and in the 70s and 80s - they sold Bernie Quinlan Denis Collins Ian Dunstan Gary Dempsey Allan Stoneham - just to pay the bills and keep the doors open - well there is nothing modern and fair about that

Why is anyone paying attention to Richmond supporters?

That just doesn't feel to me like it would have the massive impact that you are implying. But maybe I am just visualising it wrong. The numbers do certainly suggest something happened in the late 60s early 70s.

Sadly my AFL knowledge starts around the time there are good youtube replays of games (mid 70s).
Champion Data calls it the most impactful rule change in AFL/VFL history.

Champion Data calls it the most impactful rule change in AFL/VFL history.
Yeah I am not even arguing with you, it just surprises me really that it could have such an impact. Many of the high scoring key forwards
were lead mark guys so the way the ball leaves the forward 50 seems less important than how it comes in.

Yeah I am not even arguing with you, it just surprises me really that it could have such an impact. Many of the high scoring key forwards
were lead mark guys so the way the ball leaves the forward 50 seems less important than how it comes in.
No problem! Might also be worth bearing in mind that umpires didn't start using time-on for boundary throw-ins until the mid-1990s.

Hence, if a defender hoofed the ball into Row P in 1968 and it took 30 seconds to get a footy back, that 30 seconds was lost to the game. Hence, less time with ball in-play.

In the dying moments of the '66 Grand Final, there's a famous bit of commentary where Ted Whitten shouts, "hit the boundary line!". To the modern listener, it sounds like he's exhorting the Saints to play the percentages and squeeze the Magpies into one side of the ground. He's not - he's actually suggesting that they're best-off kicking the footy halfway into the Southern Stand, to bleed out time.

No problem! Might also be worth bearing in mind that umpires didn't start using time-on for boundary throw-ins until the mid-1990s.

Hence, if a defender hoofed the ball into Row P in 1968 and it took 30 seconds to get a footy back, that 30 seconds was lost to the game. Hence, less time with ball in-play.

In the dying moments of the '66 Grand Final, there's a famous bit of commentary where Ted Whitten shouts, "hit the boundary line!". To the modern listener, it sounds like he's exhorting the Saints to play the percentages and squeeze the Magpies into one side of the ground. He's not - he's actually suggesting that they're best-off kicking the footy halfway into the Southern Stand, to bleed out time.

The stats are clear that the OOF rule had an immediate and significant impact on scoring.

However, my understanding is that the deliberate out of bounds rule was already in place prior to that. In fact, it always had been, other than a period from 1925 to 1938 when a 'last touch' rule was in place penalising the team which caused the ball to go out of play whether on the full or on the bounce, or by hand or foot.

Is my understanding wrong? Or do you know whether the deliberate out of bounds rule was simply rarely enforced? I do know that when a crucial deliberate out of bounds free was paid to Hawthorn against Fitzroy in the late stages of the 1983 Qualifying Final it was highly controversial, and from memory a very rare occurrence at that stage.

The stats are clear that the OOF rule had an immediate and significant impact on scoring.

However, my understanding is that the deliberate out of bounds rule was already in place prior to that. In fact, it always had been, other than a period from 1925 to 1938 when a 'last touch' rule was in place penalising the team which caused the ball to go out of play whether on the full or on the bounce, or by hand or foot.

Is my understanding wrong? Or do you know whether the deliberate out of bounds rule was simply rarely enforced? I do know that when a crucial deliberate out of bounds free was paid to Hawthorn against Fitzroy in the late stages of the 1983 Qualifying Final it was highly controversial, and from memory a very rare occurrence at that stage.
Look at what the last touch rule did. Scoring goes up, teams play ‘corridor football’ down the centre. Plus there simply is more game time as hoofing it into the stands and wasting time is decreased.
Out of nowhere the 1930’s have Coventry, Titus, Pratt, Vallence, Mohr, Moloney, Todd, Moriarty all kicking huge totals.
Multiple players are 100 a season goalkickers. Before this era and the rule change, there were none.
The one touch rule goes and scoring goes down and all the 100 goal kickers disappear (with one exception) for the next 25 years.

Hence, if a defender hoofed the ball into Row P in 1968 and it took 30 seconds to get a footy back, that 30 seconds was lost to the game. Hence, less time with ball inin-play
See that makes a heap of sense to me! Wasting time clearly does reduce goal scoring. Thank you!

I'd go 97. Two teams from WA and SA, one each in QLD and NSW so truly national with the heartland states having more than one team and fully professional player lists. All the pieces for how the AFL has developed professionally and on field since then were finally in place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deliberate out of bounds were extremely rare until the early 2000s. You basically had to handball or knock the ball over the line no more than a few metres away and without gaining any ground. I never could remember a kick ever getting penalised.

The only contentious one I remember I think was in 1995 Fitzroy v Richmond when Doug Hawkins literally took one step over the line with the ball and it was deliberate. I think it was then a 50m penalty and Richmond won by 6 points. It unlikely would be deliberate nowadays.

The AFL/1990 bit was nothing but a name change. The AFL never actually began unless you consider re-badging a beginning. VFL Expansion began in 1986 and on-field play in 87 but the style of footy probably remained similar from the mid to late 70's till about 2005. High speed, run and receive handball, kick long, big scores. I call this the modern era of football.
(...)

If the whole point of the thread is to de-value old premierships, then suit yourself. Count them from whenever you like, when you were born, when your team entered, it doesn't matter.
I agree that 1990 was just really a name change, but it coincides with the start of other huge changes in footy:
  • Interstate sides start winning flags, and linked to that, the death of State of Origin
  • Full professionalism
  • The replacement of zone-recruited teams with draft-recruited teams
  • "Poor cousin" teams coming back to prominence (North, Footscray, StKilda, Sydney)
  • Television money
  • The end of tin rattling for most clubs
  • The salary cap becoming a key factor

Last edited:
Practically though I think 1990 is a fair spot to start for things like counting premierships, when it became the AFL.
For stuff like the flag count IMO it's the most accurate way of stating things, i.e. Geelong has 4 AFL flags and 6 VFL flags, Port has 1 AFL flag and eleventy billion SANFL flags, Collingwood has 3 AFL flags and 13 VFL flags, etc.

For stuff like the flag count IMO it's the most accurate way of stating things, i.e. Geelong has 4 AFL flags and 6 VFL flags, Port has 1 AFL flag and eleventy billion SANFL flags, Collingwood has 3 AFL flags and 13 VFL flags, etc.
Eleventy billion SANFL flags.

Just cackling over here.

<3

Probably around 20 years max back from the “present day”. The footy we are watching now won’t be modern in 25-30 years.

Does anybody consider the 90s modern? I’m not so sure.

Eleventy billion SANFL flags.

Just cackling over here.

<3
Apparently it takes 10 days to get through and dry clean the squadzillon Port Adelaide Magpie SANFL flags every two years.

They work around the clock and the clothes line to hang them up is 3 km long..

Deliberate out of bounds were extremely rare until the early 2000s. You basically had to handball or knock the ball over the line no more than a few metres away and without gaining any ground. I never could remember a kick ever getting penalised.

The only contentious one I remember I think was in 1995 Fitzroy v Richmond when Doug Hawkins literally took one step over the line with the ball and it was deliberate. I think it was then a 50m penalty and Richmond won by 6 points. It unlikely would be deliberate nowadays.
That was Jeff Bruce.

Micky Nettlefold in the 1983 Qualifying Final is probably the most infamous and controversial DOOB. Sliding doors moment for the FFC.

I'd also add when televising of games became more prominent/more watched live on tv than at the ground. Not sure exactly when, but probably when most games were broadcast live. When all games weren't played at 2pm on a Saturday arvo.

To me the modern era has to be at a minimum 2001, though more likely mid 2000's and I say this because of protessionalism and tactics. Back in the 90's tactics were still very simplistic and not well thought out. Proper tactics as we know them today have only really been around in the last 20 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back