Best grand final of the modern era (since 1999)

Best grand final of the modern era/since 1999

• 2003 - Brisbane vs Collingwood

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2013 - Hawthorn vs Fremantle

• 2015 - Hawthorn vs West Coast

• 2019 - Richmond vs GWS

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

One big difference: it was pretty clear that the Eagles were a better side in 1992.

We had lost 8 of our last 9 against West Coast leading into that game, including the semi-final at the G a few weeks earlier.

I think 1992 was more akin to 2018 - we got the jump, the better side came out eventually. Same with 2020.

In 2001, Brisbane were still the contender, Essendon were still the champions.
true was sort of going on how the match unfolded.

Also both Geel and WCE had lost GFs in the previous 3 years so was 2 top sides despite WCE finishing 4th in 1992.

Bris had won like 15 in a row leading into 2001 so it's not like they were a rabble

But I do get your point.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I voted 2009. The football wasn’t as clean as 2011 but it is the most intense game of footy I’ve ever watched and I’ve never ever watched a game that pinned to the edge of my seat for its entirety
Between 2009 and 2010 they were 2 of the most tense games I have ever watched.

I would argue that the 2009 premiership win is Geelong's finest hour.

Between 2009 and 2010 they were 2 of the most tense games I have ever watched.

I would argue that the 2009 premiership win is Geelong's finest hour.

It’s up there. St Kilda were a colossal opponent and to a man every single player from both sides played that match with utter disregard for themselves

We were ridiculously spoilt between 2002 and 2013, really. In that era only 2003, 2007 and the ‘10 replay were blowouts. Even 2004 was a much better contest than a 40 point margin would suggest - 2011 is in this category also.

It’s 2012 by a nose for me though, over several other worthy candidates. Since 2014 the pickings have been much slimmer though - only 2018. 2016 was okay and I was glad for the dogs, I just didn’t feel the game reached a great height.

Eh, it's hard to put it in perspective. Just one of those years where talent and luck all came together; a team playing fantastic footy and brilliantly well-coached, a clean bill of health pretty much all the way through, a draw as soft as a marshmallow, a lucky escape against Collingwood in the QF, and Brisbane doing us the serious favour of dumping out Richmond and Melbourne before rolling over in PF week.
So Geelong only won because of a million other reasons?

Soft draw in hindsight though was rated one of the harder draws before round 1.

This Geelong team would have beaten anyone in the PF and GF… also 2007 pies almost beat us in the prelim 🤷‍♂️ Most flag teams get atleast one hard finals game.

2012, 2001, 2008 and 2011 were all quality.

Ill add 2021. That went from tight contest, to dogs win/bont norm smith to unbelievable Dees premiership quarter.
Only drawback was not being at the G for the Dees fans. feels a bit of a kick in the nuts to them.

I’ve always rated 2011

Probably the 2 best individual sides just about of the modern era going hell for leather. It was such a great standard of football, if the margin didn’t blow out in last 5 minutes this would be regarded as one of the all time great games of football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While we won it (and didn’t really deserve to) I’m astonished that anyone other than cats fans rewatch 2009.

In no particular order:

2001, 2004, 2016, 2017 and 2008 were all interesting games too, with underdogs getting up.

Given that they were decided by less than a goal, I didn’t love the 05-06 ones as much as might be expected, personally. 03, 07, 13-15, 19, 21 and 22 all pretty boring for neutrals too

Edit: weirdly, I think my top 4 would be 09, 10, 11, 12

TV ratings say 05/06 tops.

Imma wait for that one dude who posts a meticulous - if opaque - list of every single Premiership winner in freakin' order.

I'm not sure of their metrics for ranking each Premiership win, but - the 2022 Geelong Cats Premiership win should rank in the upper echelon because a) they finished the H+A season 2 wins clear on top of the ladder, and b) they won two of their Finals - on the way to the Premiership - but 10+ goals.

What do we have, 125ish years of Grand Finals? I think this Geelong Premiership should be Top 100 for starters; likely a lot higher. Dominant season.
If you were judging dominant seasons then yeah

But i think the op was after good to watch not demolition jobs

That Milne bounce. Crazy.

You'd back the ball to bounce toward goal or to Milne 99 out of 100.

Just needed a point. Agonizing

The luck of the Saints.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
That and the fact that collingwood played 14 games on the mcg vs saints 2 in that h and a season

I voted 2009. The football wasn’t as clean as 2011 but it is the most intense game of footy I’ve ever watched and I’ve never ever watched a game that pinned to the edge of my seat for its entirety

Saints missed so many gimme goals in that game. They should have won comfortably

McQualter, Schnieder and Milne were terrible in front of goal

So Geelong only won because of a million other reasons?

Soft draw in hindsight though was rated one of the harder draws before round 1.

This Geelong team would have beaten anyone in the PF and GF… also 2007 pies almost beat us in the prelim 🤷‍♂️ Most flag teams get atleast one hard finals game.
We were the best team in it. We were also lucky. Both can be true.

2019, we were the best team in it but we were unlucky.

2008 for me, (hawthorn bias probably). The underdog up and comers shell shocking the reigning premiers and top team of the season. Lots of individual moments of brilliance with rioli and dew, croad putting on a bump whilst unable to walk cos of his career ending broken foot. Crawf first and only premiership in his last game capping off a great career.

2005/6 were pretty great as well with the WCE v swans rivalry and very close games between two great sides.

The drawn grand final was also right up there.

2008 for me, (hawthorn bias probably). The underdog up and comers shell shocking the reigning premiers and top team of the season. Lots of individual moments of brilliance with rioli and dew, croad putting on a bump whilst unable to walk cos of his career ending broken foot. Crawf first and only premiership in his last game capping off a great career.

2005/6 were pretty great as well with the WCE v swans rivalry and very close games between two great sides.

The drawn grand final was also right up there.
I think your brown and gold glasses may be getting in the way ;)

I get why 2008 is unique and special, but there were so many closer games in the era.

Back