Best utilities of the modern era

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
As everyone in Australia knows, utilities are now almost becoming a commodity rather than a necessity as cost of living increases. So I thought we should take a look at some of the best utilities we’ve had grace the football field in the last 25 years.

The two that come to mind are Adam Goodes and Matthew Pavlich. Both are absolute greats/legends and could go into any position on the ground and play elite football.

Is there anyone else I might’ve missed from the last 25 years that has now retired?

At the moment, the only utility that comes to mind is Mark Blicavs - not quite in the same breath as Goodes and Pav, but the most complete utility in the game at present.

There are dual position players like Ziebell (mid/def), Bont and practically every team has a 2nd ruck that plays forward too, but Blicavs is a more accurate definition of a utility.

Who else is there?

Also, whilst I’ve got you, how do I bring my gas bill down from $24,000?

From Richmond, Marlion Pickett, Noah Balta and Shaun Grigg.

It also depends a lot on how you classify a utility.

If it's someone who plays 3 positions to a high standard like KPD/KPF/Mid or KPF/Mid/Ruck Goodes,Pav & Cornes are the only three i can think of fthe 21st century.

Hird played KPF/Mid but never really played KPD while though Kouta could play in any of the three positions He mainly played Mid.

If you include guys who could play HB/HF/Mid you have a lot like Hodge, McLeod, Wanganeen, Shaun Burgoyne Byron Pickett, Goddard etc.

Last edited:
True utilities are a bit of a dying breed, since most players now have developed in multiple roles. Midfielders either go HBF for their skills or push forward, forwards rotate through the mid and developing keys are trialed at most ends and in the Ruck.

That said, Blicavs is probably the best over the last 5 years. Luke Jackson's probably the next in line if his development continues and stays injury free in his Mid/Key Fwd/Ruck Hybrid role.

Chad Cornes went alright. Justin Westhoff supremely underrated as a player also. Won us games as a forward, defender and from the wing/ruck. He literally did it all.

For us over our 3 peat era Roughead was huge for us. Started off as a Swingman Fwd/Def, then became a pretty dominant Ruck/Fwd for a few seasons, eventually became a high impact Big Body Mid towards the end, before illness struck him down.

We used to joke the Roughead could play anywhere because at one point or another we had seen Clarko swing him into pretty much every position.

Last edited:
Burgoyne is another obvious one for us, was our breakglass in case of emergency player. He would be sent where ever we needed the support to help us with the game, be it lock down on someone in defence, the centre square to win an important clearance or forward to kick a match winner.

Last edited:
Gunston is another I think deserves a mention, He played alot of roles and would swing around alot during the game. In a time that it was less common then it is today.
He would play as a deep lead up forward, a high half forward, across the wings and as a intercepting Half Back, often all in the same game.

Last edited:
Scott Lucas won a club B&F at either end of the ground. Cale Hooker was pretty handy at either end with a club leading goal kicker and an AA at the other.

Pretty sure James Hird won a Brownlow as a fwd/mid and ended his career as an AA off the half back flank.

Just from my club..

Chad Cornes was the ultimate anywhere man. Brendon Goddard may appear to be a utility but seemed to fix holes everywhere for the Saints at one stage

For us over our 3 peat era Roughead was huge for us. Started off as a Swingman Fwd/Def, then became a pretty dominant Ruck/Fwd for a few seasons, eventually became a high impact Big Body Mid towards the end, before illness struck him down.

We used to joke the Roughead could play anywhere because at one point or another we had seen Clarko swing him into pretty much every position.
Great shout, Roughead was exceptional

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out of the current players, Harry Himmelberg is having a very good season and appears just as comfortable down back as he is up forward.

Matthew Richardson.

Shaun Burgoyne.

Blitz is the best of the last 10 years, some potentials coming through I think, Cox from Essendon Darcy from Bulldogs Blakey from Swans Owens St Kilda Rayner from Brisbane.

The difference between a utility nowadays vs historical usage, is that generally the last six players picked in the 22 are utilities, in order to "slot in" around the best players in the club, who will almost universally play their best positions.

When I think of a utility, I think the player in question needs to either:
  • Be able to play deep in both the forward line and the backline (i.e. Gavin Wanganeen, Pavlich, Steven Silvagni), or
  • Be able to play as a genuine ruck, midfielder, and forward line or backline.
Hence, IMO, guys like Jason Blake, Leigh Brown and Cam Rayner don't really qualify IMO. Nor does Jimmy Bartel, in the interests of fairness.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back