Tertiary and Continuing Going back to school/changing industries

Remove this Banner Ad

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So first I'll give a bit of a run down on my situation & any advice anyone has.

Back in 2013 I completed a double degree in Business Management as well as Sport & Recreation Management, I took a couple years to eventually get into the industry in a full time position which was as the manager of an indoor sports centre. I was in that role for 2 years when the centre got bought out & redeveloped into a warehouse.

After that I took up a position as the marketing manager for a craft beer venue which involved all print, digital & b2b marketing as well as a lot of graphic design (self taught for 15 years). The working conditions there were not the best due to the owners & I was searching for a new job for a good year with no luck. I eventually had to leave due to the conditions (making me despise marketing) after 2 years in the role and luckily picked up some short term casual Christmas warehousing work.

I have also done a couple years worth of volunteer Talent Identification roles at a NAB league club & an AFL club but nothing permanent has eventuated from either of them despite still being heavily interested in that for a career.

Anyway after all that I am looking to get into the IT field & study for a Bachelor of IT online after seeing friends progress well in IT fields plus the actual growth of the industry as a whole. Just wondering what people's thoughts on the IT industry are & how much an IT degree could help with long term employment in the industry?

Do you have any experience with programming?
Not really unfortunately, I have done a very small & basic amount of web development though but even that was very tiny.

That's why I'm thinking it's best to go back to uni and study. Don't get me wrong I know i'd easily be able to pick it up in a working environment but not sure any place would be wanting to invest the time of training when they could get someone trained already.

Not really unfortunately, I have done a very small & basic amount of web development though but even that was very tiny.

That's why I'm thinking it's best to go back to uni and study. Don't get me wrong I know i'd easily be able to pick it up in a working environment but not sure any place would be wanting to invest the time of training when they could get someone trained already.
I wrangled my first web development job without a relevant degree (I was Lawconomics). I've heard it's similar with the software side of things; being (sort of) in the industry, I regularly hear that degrees aren't totally necessary (which is different for doctors/lawyers for e.g.). I know people in Melbourne/Sydney- based software roles who've studied in different areas. A good friend of mine studied Business Management, taught himself Python and is now working as a Data Analyst in Berlin.

Of course, there are benefits to having tertiary-level qualifications in the IT field, including the comparatively easy ascent to leadership positions - and I do encourage you to study for one in the future.

Right now, though, it isn't, in my opinion, the only option for you. A degree certainly isn't a pre-requisite in the industry. Certifications are, in particular areas, very helpful (CompTIA, for example). But in the programming sphere, they're merely supplementary to your resume - the most significant factor right now will be any relevant experience, your knowledge of the industry, and your energy/willingness to learn.

Considering the increasing presence of AI/software in a majority of the industry's areas, gaining proficiency in programming is utterly essential. Python & Java are both great languages to start with. Python, for someone with limited experience, I'd personally recommend though. Perhaps in your spare time, try and familiarise yourself with the basics, then begin self-educating about its numerous facets (APIs/Libraries et al).

The following resources are excellent:

Python Programming (aka Sentdex on Youtube)
Automate the Boring Stuff
Python Crash Course
Getting Started with Python in VSCode (Visual Studio Code is by far the best code editor)

Additionally, some free (and paid) resources/certs exist on Coursera, EDX and Udacity. Udemy have some good courses as well (which usually go for around 20ish $ for 40+ hours of content).

Coursera (Python Beginner)
Udacity Programming Courses
Computer Science Courses on edX
Udemy: Online IT + Software Courses * with Udemy, they almost always have their courses on sale as a pricing strategy (never pay full price). In saying this, the courses I've bought on Udemy have always been fantastic; I've learnt heaps from there.

Good luck - and if you have any questions, please fire away.

P.s. after re-reading your OP, I see you have solid graphic design experience. Those skills are highly sought after in Web Design/Development. Have you considered becoming a front-end developer?

I wrangled my first web development job without a relevant degree (I was Lawconomics). I've heard it's similar with the software side of things; being (sort of) in the industry, I regularly hear that degrees aren't totally necessary (which is different for doctors/lawyers for e.g.). I know people in Melbourne/Sydney- based software roles who've studied in different areas. A good friend of mine studied Business Management, taught himself Python and is now working as a Data Analyst in Berlin.

Of course, there are benefits to having tertiary-level qualifications in the IT field, including the comparatively easy ascent to leadership positions - and I do encourage you to study for one in the future.

Right now, though, it isn't, in my opinion, the only option for you. A degree certainly isn't a pre-requisite in the industry. Certifications are, in particular areas, very helpful (CompTIA, for example). But in the programming sphere, they're merely supplementary to your resume - the most significant factor right now will be any relevant experience, your knowledge of the industry, and your energy/willingness to learn.

Considering the increasing presence of AI/software in a majority of the industry's areas, gaining proficiency in programming is utterly essential. Python & Java are both great languages to start with. Python, for someone with limited experience, I'd personally recommend though. Perhaps in your spare time, try and familiarise yourself with the basics, then begin self-educating about its numerous facets (APIs/Libraries et al).

Python Crash Course
Getting Started with Python in VSCode (Visual Studio Code is by far the best code editor)

Additionally, some free (and paid) resources/certs exist on Coursera, EDX and Udacity. Udemy have some good courses as well (which usually go for around 20ish $ for 40+ hours of content).

Udemy: Online IT + Software Courses * with Udemy, they almost always have their courses on sale as a pricing strategy (never pay full price). In saying this, the courses I've bought on Udemy have always been fantastic; I've learnt heaps from there.

Thanks for so much info that is extremely helpful. I was mainly worried due to the fact that I have no particular experience in an IT role (although my last 2 jobs I was pretty much the IT guy doing basic IT tasks as there was no IT department), so was really wondering whether I need to do the course.

Would there be any particular types of roles that you would recommend that should be entry level without formal qualifications? I know people have said service desk roles but every one of them I have seen have required some sort of formal qualification unfortunately.

P.s. after re-reading your OP, I see you have solid graphic design experience. Those skills are highly sought after in Web Design/Development. Have you considered becoming a front-end developer?
Yeah I have done a fair bit of graphic design stuff mainly for personal use over the stretch of about 13 or so years. Again I have no formal qualifications in that, been completely self taught & the majority of my design work has been for company logos or digital art.

I have also definitely considered being a front-end developer, I actually have a mate who is a back-end developer for a large agency & speaking to him definitely piqued my interest in the front-end side of things. Again though I'm unsure how I would go about getting a job in the field without having a degree related to front-end development or any professional experience in it either.

Once again than you so much for your replies, seriously been so much help for me. Much appreciated!

Python Crash Course

I have a degree in IT (majored in software development) and work in the IT/consulting world, and I agree. Qualifications (CISCO, AWS, etc.) and actual skills mean so much more than your degree. Everyone I know would take a skilled self-taught programmer with a portfolio of projects over a grad, given the choice.

In saying that, there's a difference between knowing how to program and being a good programmer. The difference is probably 2-3 years of experience (minimum). I've never done one of those Udemy/Udacity programming courses, but I've talked to people who swear by them.

I have a degree in IT (majored in software development) and work in the IT/consulting world, and I agree. Qualifications (CISCO, AWS, etc.) and actual skills mean so much more than your degree. Everyone I know would take a skilled self-taught programmer with a portfolio of projects over a grad, given the choice.

In saying that, there's a difference between knowing how to program and being a good programmer. The difference is probably 2-3 years of experience (minimum). I've never done one of those Udemy/Udacity programming courses, but I've talked to people who swear by them.
Awesome thank you for the information. I actually just bought a web development course on Udemy that I have gotten about 10% through & so far it has been amazing (think it helps that I did a bit of research to see which one was best/most relevant). Its actually making me think I probably wont go through with the full degree, rather just study some online Udemy courses which I could then add the skills learned to my resume/portfolio.

Awesome thank you for the information. I actually just bought a web development course on Udemy that I have gotten about 10% through & so far it has been amazing (think it helps that I did a bit of research to see which one was best/most relevant). Its actually making me think I probably wont go through with the full degree, rather just study some online Udemy courses which I could then add the skills learned to my resume/portfolio.

Knowing how to program is hugely beneficial skill, even if you don't move into the IT/software area. A lot of businesses value employees who can write good VBA macros, or build Python tools that can merge or analyse documents. Good luck, hope you find the course helpful.

Just a bit of an update to this. I ended up enrolling in the Bachelor of IT as a cloud student where I have been working and studying full time (work is not IT related specifically).

I've achieved marks I'm extremely proud of so far (currently about to start my final year) but I have found the teaching itself to be quite poor. I've learnt a lot easier through my own researching for each unit rather than their content which has seemed to lack any explanations for why/how particular things are used such as syntax.

Going into my final year I'm looking at a placement which has been a little difficult so far due to working full time and needing to find a placement that is of a long enough length and one that pays to some degree, so that I can justify leaving my current employment. I'm also still pretty undecided on what field in particular I want to get into. I have liked UI/UX design, web dev & data analysis but have struggled a little with understanding some of the coding languages.

Cloud study can be pretty crazy. So many Teams classes started by students where the actual tutor has to join to tell everyone to join the other one that they created. So many tutors that rock up 5-10 mins late and refuse to respond to questions despite saying they will do so, they just straight read off the lesson script without break.

Also had one unit where the tutor had not updated it for the new trimester and a fair amount of students filled out a survey (related to future assignments) that was meant for the previous trimester and then he quietly updated it without telling anyone. This lead to the students who did the survey at the time they were supposed to complete it, to not be assigned a group or topic and when questioned on it, the tutor has the audacity to say "There was only one survey, you all must not have done it". Thankfully one of the students had screenshots of the survey questions and he went quiet after that.

All in all, a cloud experience has been good as it has worked for my situation with my full time employment but it is definitely making things difficult with finding a placement which is required. I do wish some of the subjects didn't speed through so many different concepts though (particularly the coding ones) as they accelerate at a speed that has been far too great for someone without any coding experience to maintain.

I am looking to move from IT into Insurance. I've worked in the industry for 10 years as a BA and want to give Insurance a crack! Underwriting, Brokerage, Claims, Admin i don't care. Just want to start studying and getting experience in the industry!

I think I'm about to take the leap. I did what I was good at - writing, campaigning, advocacy - rather than doing what I enjoyed. And I was well paid, it established my life in Melbourne, but I was miserable.

I'm now looking at starting at the very, very bottom - possibly a landscaping apprenticeship - and one that I can only do part time, so I'd literally be on about $30k a year in the short term.

Can't keep doing what I've been doing though, I would've killed myself 100 times if it weren't for my dog. And maybe there does come a time where, if you're really lucky, you can start again in a career for love, not for money or expectation or ability.

I think I'm about to take the leap. I did what I was good at - writing, campaigning, advocacy - rather than doing what I enjoyed. And I was well paid, it established my life in Melbourne, but I was miserable.

I'm now looking at starting at the very, very bottom - possibly a landscaping apprenticeship - and one that I can only do part time, so I'd literally be on about $30k a year in the short term.

Can't keep doing what I've been doing though, I would've killed myself 100 times if it weren't for my dog. And maybe there does come a time where, if you're really lucky, you can start again in a career for love, not for money or expectation or ability.
LOL i was thinking about Landscaping also!

Do it. You'll love it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inspiration comes from the most random places.

I'd done quite a bit of research into trying to become a landscape designer, but there was just no way to study and do on-the-job training given the time-limitations (ie. I still have to work in the meantime) and also cos there was no way to start as a shitkicker landscaper without it impacting upon my bad back.

I was really bummed out about it - like, proper sad - cos something in landscaping/gardening was always the crazy job that I wanted to do if money was no object, I thought I was finally going to be able to do it, and those time limitations made me realise it was the pipe dream that I'd never realise.

I was in the midst of my funk, back to square 1 and having no idea what my next move would be... and then a guy who runs a dog day care turned up as a competitor on Australian Gladiators! Absolutely rubbish reboot, but totally worth the time given the inspiration it's given me.

I've done my TAFE application for Animal Care, I can do a subsidised business Cert IV under the Vic Govt Skills First program, and then I have a little bit of money and a little bit of knowledge to hopefully start my own thing.

It's a mix of sadness for not realising the pipe dream, excitement that I've come up with something that I'm excited about, nervous as hell about a new direction and ultimately risking a lot of time and money into something, and curious/overwhelmed by all the different programs and services that I've had to research.

Looking to switch from a pest control tech to a salesman in pest control. We do a bit of selling as is but just wondering how people find sales? Meeting kpi? The role
In general.

Interesting OP, I went back to Uni just before Covid to do Sport management as I was t enjoying my life and always wanted to get into sporting industry.

Cos of the governments screw ups and the 2 years of destruction to the local sports leagues, I missed my chance but managed to snag an essential job that was safe from Covid shutdowns.

Whilst I do like the organisation, I moved last year to a different role and location and now work in a job I hate for the same organisation but because of where I’m living and the massive financial benefits, it really limits my options. So now I’m finally ready to take the plunge and make the most of my sports management degree.

But it seems very difficult to get into at my age without having the right contacts, they either have people lined up for roles or would prefer to hire a straight out of Uni grad and pay them accordingly for entry level roles.

The worst part was because of Covid I missed out on the placements and getting that industry experience and building relationships.

I'm currently in my final semester of travel and tourism. I want to make my history degree more useful, and merge it with my years of admin/customer service experience.

I'm currently in my final semester of travel and tourism. I want to make my history degree more useful, and merge it with my years of admin/customer service experience.
I think id enjoy something in that sector. Travel agent always worried me that stuff like webjet, airbnb, self booking sites etc would take too much work away.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back