Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They've had another bad injury year, but they'd need to have 22 first choice players out to excuse this.

Ablett is apparently a poor captain, or McKenna didn't develop the players properly, or they've not had proper AFL support in a tough market. All of which may be true, but there are 22 professional footy players on the park every week and at this stage there's no excuse for what they're dishing up.

They're currently 68 points down to a team who aren't close to playing finals this year. Gruesome.

Their reserves didn't win a game in a tinpot league in McKenna's last season.

They're hardly the first team to succumb to the "oh god, this has been a shocker of a season, let's just get this over with as quickly as possible" mentality.

Which would be understandable if it was all at the back end of the year.

Take a look at their results from round 6 to 10. Some good teams, but the margins are brutal.

'Bad' year of injuries is underselling i think.

I read somewhere that every player on their list has played this year, except two.

The two who haven't played aren't exactly raw 1st year players either, in O'Meara and Swallow

Maybe, although plenty of teams have had to go deep into their lists this year - well into the 30s for players used.

And it's not the losses, it's the manner of them. A few honourable ones here and there, but many horrible ones. Too many for a club at this stage of their development.

From a poster on our board. It Doesn't explain the whole picture obviously but injuries have to be part of the excuse for their inconsistent and poor form. You can't hope to win many games of footy or play at a consistent level. I suppose you could argue that Collingwood are in a similar, albeit slightly better off, position.

58e31a6531786d062e3e141472878a29.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They've had another bad injury year, but they'd need to have 22 first choice players out to excuse this.

Ablett is apparently a poor captain, or McKenna didn't develop the players properly, or they've not had proper AFL support in a tough market. All of which may be true, but there are 22 professional footy players on the park every week and at this stage there's no excuse for what they're dishing up.

They're currently 68 points down to a team who aren't close to playing finals this year. Gruesome.
Think about this. In their first couple of seasons in the competition they had a bunch of cashed up 18 and 19 year olds living away from home and in one of the prime party places in the country. On top of that the senior players and leaders around the club included the likes of Campbell Brown and Karmichael Hunt.

The culture was obviously ****ed plus they have had the worst run of injuries to key players in the comp over the last couple of years. Oh and they somehow are not actually the worst club in the league atm(look further north).

I honestly think Prestia saying he's gone would have divided the playing group, or at least couldn't have been good for moral. One of your leaders who is out injured jumps up and says, "SEE YA!"

Honestly I think they have been extra competitive for much of the last two months, punching above their weight, culminating in some deflating but heroic close losses to the Demons and Giants where they played well. The bombers got them at the right time following those losses, and as a result the break beckons hopefully with healthier times ahead. Like Carlton, they have been good at times and ugly at times, but most importantly for both the culture seems to be heading in the right direction.

Management/recruiting has been woeful...

Just for starters they Brought in an out-of-date coach in Eade and a couple of injury prone vets with their best well behind them in Rosa and Malceski... Headed to the coast for a nice little superannuation earner....

Of course the injury gods and the Harley Bennell fiasco have not helped but still many decisions have been baffling.

From a poster on our board. It Doesn't explain the whole picture obviously but injuries have to be part of the excuse for their inconsistent and poor form. You can't hope to win many games of footy or play at a consistent level. I suppose you could argue that Collingwood are in a similar, albeit slightly better off, position.

puts the 'so brave' campaign by the doggies into perspective.

Virtually all their A grade midfielders are injured. Ablett Jr, Prestia, Swallow and O'Meara are massive outs and you can add other quality midfielders like Rischitelli and Lonergan to that list. Their best midfielder of late has been second year player Touk Miller and that says a lot.

Their forward line is great and there's nothing really wrong with their back line, it's just their lack of quality through the midfield (at the moment) that created the illusion last night that their back line was awful. It purely comes down to the midfield and the amount of players they are missing.

We know Tom Lynch is at least a top 3 forward in the competition and Steven May is one of the best key defenders in the league. Peter Wright is still 19 and he's already shown signs that he could be very, very good. Rory Thompson is also capable of playing at a high standard as a key backman. This means the problem with their spine lies in the midfield. I personally feel they need a better ruckman to really push into the upper echelon with a healthy list but that's all they're really missing in my opinion.

Trust this year to be the one where Essendon has a good run with injuries.

Out of interest what is the cut off for 'experienced' players? Is it age or games played or something else?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back