Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

xn4cYl4.png

If I were deciding who to support right now, I wouldn't think twice picking Gold Coast ahead of Sydney.

Gold Coast aren't going great right now, but still boast some of the best young players in the competition. Meanwhile you still have one of the oldest lists, just lost to Carlton on your home ground, and just re-signed a dinosaur of a coach with no new tricks, always trying to play the same style of football for nearly 10 years.

Gold Coast will come good, once guys like Rankine, Rowell and Anderson develop, they will be fearsome.

Who are these players?

Reasonably accurate. North Melbourne were getting crowds under 16,000 for a while there, and only managed to keep their average up since they mostly played other Victorian teams in Melbourne which boosts struggling Melbourne based clubs crowd figures. Teams like Gold Coast don't get that boost.

Partly accurate;). I agree some clubs do suffer drop offs after sustained poor runs, others though manage to maintain fairly consistent crowds through even the worst of times.

Anyway GC we're always on a hiding to nothing getting plonked in a stadium in the middle of nowhere with appalling structural support from the AFL. It's not the Suns fault things are where they are, that burden rests solely with the AFL.

Jack Bowes
Ben Ainsworth
Izak Rankine
Callum Ah Chee
Ben King
Peter Wright
Touk Miller
Alex Sexton
Lachie Weller
Matt Rowell
Noah Anderson

Better than any of those players: a young, promising coach that won't bog their young players down. You won't see Stewie Dew putting say, Izak Rankine in defence his whole career the same way Longmire does for Mills.

You are including two players they don't have. Also how many All Australians are in that group, or how many players who are even in All Australian contention?

Partly accurate;). I agree some clubs do suffer drop offs after sustained poor runs, others though manage to maintain fairly consistent crowds through even the worst of times.

Anyway GC we're always on a hiding to nothing getting plonked in a stadium in the middle of nowhere with appalling structural support from the AFL. It's not the Suns fault things are where they are, that burden rests solely with the AFL.

and being given a recruiter who seemed obsessed with drafting players with the muscle definition of a 12 year old boy.

AFL should give them the Priority pick.
But only them and let it be the last time.
I'l go the other way - an increased retention allowance via the club marketing budget.

Every club has a payment system to players for appearances, Gold Coast should have theirs boosted substantially. Players have the opportunity to earn a lot more money by doing community appearances which helps with retention, while at the same time boosting the visibility of the code in the Gold Coast area.

Right now it's behind Surfing, League, Union, Soccer, Cricket, Basketball and Surf Lifesaving at least in terms of profile. That needs to change.

As many have stated a priority pick is useless unless it is traded. They have the young talent coming through they just need some mature heads and bodies that can teach these blokes the ins and outs of AFL footy. Players like McVeigh, Roughead, Easton Wood (not that I want him gone) and others. Look at what Melb did when Roos took over he went out and got Daniel Cross who is the hardest trainer we had at the dogs to teach them some standards. Lions were leaking goals so they got Hodge in to be a leader to the backline. They don't need another first rounder they need 2-4 mature players to come in and get this young group up to scratch

Completely agree but do they have the ball to do it?
Rowell looks like a great young player but surely pick 1 could turn into 2 or 3 good mature 26 year olds who will make a difference.

Also they need cola, maybe 1 or 2 million extra til they become competitive. If not, they will never break the cycle. It’s getting really embarrassing for them at the moment

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

They'll get them, no problem. You'll be crying when they do.

So you know that for a fact do you? I'll have you know I would not be bothered if Gold Coast got pick 1 and 2.

Sorry, it's unreasonable to expect such a young team to immediately be full of AA players. Again, I'd still take them over the fossilized team that is Sydney, now stuck in Groundhog Day with Horse.

You have just listed young players, but that is all you have done. Martin was supposed to become one of the best players in the game, that is what a lot of the experts said, and yet he hasn't been anywhere near that.

This.

Opposition supporters on this forum, particularly ones in the bottom third of the ladder, will say everything they can to argue "it won't help", but the reality is, picking up Anderson + Rowell would be an amazing coup for the Gold Coast, and set them up for the future in midfield.

Now many top 5 picks have they had over the journey? Even if they pick them up, in 4 years they will leave and have to start again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's what everyone was saying about Rankine, except he recently re-signed.

Small brained people like you always think if a club is doing bad, they can't retain any good players. Even guys like Tom Lynch and Steven May stayed there for a large part of their careers, despite never playing finals.
And both have said they would’ve stayed if the on field results improved.

A bit of chicken and egg here - GC will improve their player retention capacity by improved on field performances, however to do so will likely require trading off valuable high end picks for decent established players.
they definitely need some form of assistance - whether that comes in the form of a priority pick, or first crack at players in the State leagues, increased cap etc who knows - but the reality is that the AFL will definitely not let it die

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A bit of chicken and egg here - GC will improve their player retention capacity by improved on field performances, however to do so will likely require trading off valuable high end picks for decent established players.
they definitely need some form of assistance - whether that comes in the form of a priority pick, or first crack at players in the State leagues, increased cap etc who knows - but the reality is that the AFL will definitely not let it die

First crack at state league players is pointless as look at the midseason draft and see how few players who were drafted are actually making an impact at the moment.

First crack at state league players is pointless as look at the midseason draft and see how few players who were drafted are actually making an impact at the moment.

Midseason draft is not a fair measure imo. They are players who are drafted without an afl preseason under the belt so invariably most wouldn’t be immediate selections. When you have the likes of Tim Kelly floating around who didn’t get picked up in consecutive drafts, while admittedly luck does play a role, it’s still a decent advantage to get first crack, or the other option is to trade that opportunity to a club. I can’t see the AFL being settled with just handing out a priority pick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back