Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Gone from 3-1 to 3-13. Scoring 60 points a game, playing in front of about 5,000 fans and have just allowed Adelaide to put up the highest score for the year.

The problem for the Suns and the AFL is it's getting worse, not better.
They have conceded the highest score of the year 2 weeks in a row now

Right now we’re three wins ahead of where everyone expected us to be at the start of the year. A lack of any real depth and the annual shocking run with injuries is preventing us from making any meaningful progression. The team has never been able to get any continuity playing together. We start off the season alright but then injuries kick in to key players. Now the players are cooked. Contrast this to Brisbane who have had close to their best team on the field for the past two years.

Went to the game last week. Awesome place to watch footy.
Easy access in and out, not a bad seat in the house, nice pleasant weather that is a great break from June/July/August Melbourne cold, you can walk around and watch from standing room, it's not a massive ordeal to get to your seat like the MCG or Etihad.

If Richmond play their every year, I'd be happy to make it an annual trip.

Definetelt nothing wrong with the viewing situation.
Been there myself, no arguments with the stadium. Issue is that if you asked anyone in 2010 what the worst case scenario for the new franchise would be, 0 finals appearances and barely 5 wins a season would probably be below anyone's expectations.

Right now we’re three wins ahead of where everyone expected us to be at the start of the year. A lack of any real depth and the annual shocking run with injuries is preventing us from making any meaningful progression. The team has never been able to get any continuity playing together. We start off the season alright but then injuries kick in to key players. Now the players are cooked. Contrast this to Brisbane who have had close to their best team on the field for the past two years.

Seems to me GC's fitness and medical teams may not be up to standard.

I've heard from a few GC players who changed clubs directly or indirectly say that the pre-seasons at their new clubs were a lot tougher.

I know you have a lot of young players, but pretty much every year GC seem to run out of gas from a fitness standpoint, and also get a unusually high amount of injuries...can't be coincidence to happen year after year.

Would be interested to compare the experience/CV's of your fitness & medical staff vs Brisbane's.

Gone from 3-1 to 3-13. Scoring 60 points a game, playing in front of about 5,000 fans and have just allowed Adelaide to put up the highest score for the year.

The problem for the Suns and the AFL is it's getting worse, not better.

Realistically they were probably doomed from the start...Gold Coast has been a sporting code graveyard. Not a big enough stable supporter base up there.

AFL really cocked it up for the sake of getting 18 teams and 'beating' other codes...GWS coming in the year after them did GC no favours as GWS took most of the top draft picks in their initial year, then for a few years after that finished below GC.

They seemingly did not have the right appointments in key positions at the time and were training out of tin sheds.

AFL need to do more to help them.

Sad to think how good this team could have been given the talent they had like Ablett, Lynch, May, O'Meara, Prestia, Caddy, Dixon etc.

Thought Dew's press conference was great. 2 weeks of beltings, they've got a good chance to turn it around at least in the contest next week.

AFL should give them the Priority pick.
But only them and let it be the last time.

The only reason for it is they have had a lot of players leave and obviously that's going to cause problems.
Let's go through the list of players they developed that turned them away and left for other clubs.

Gary Ablett, Dion Prestia, Harley Bennell, Tom Lynch, Josh Caddy, Carlie Dixon, Stephan May, Jaega Omera, Brandon Matera, Aaron Hall.

Then you got rumours of trades involving this season's Sam Day and Jack Martin. You see the problems thats happening last few years. They develop players when they are young and when they look ready and mature to make a contribution they pack their bags and leave.

No club can build a quality team if the list turnover they have had keeps up.

It's a problem AFL need to sort out. They need to retain their players for the long haul.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

As many have stated a priority pick is useless unless it is traded. They have the young talent coming through they just need some mature heads and bodies that can teach these blokes the ins and outs of AFL footy. Players like McVeigh, Roughead, Easton Wood (not that I want him gone) and others. Look at what Melb did when Roos took over he went out and got Daniel Cross who is the hardest trainer we had at the dogs to teach them some standards. Lions were leaking goals so they got Hodge in to be a leader to the backline. They don't need another first rounder they need 2-4 mature players to come in and get this young group up to scratch

As many have stated a priority pick is useless unless it is traded. They have the young talent coming through they just need some mature heads and bodies that can teach these blokes the ins and outs of AFL footy. Players like McVeigh, Roughead, Easton Wood (not that I want him gone) and others. Look at what Melb did when Roos took over he went out and got Daniel Cross who is the hardest trainer we had at the dogs to teach them some standards. Lions were leaking goals so they got Hodge in to be a leader to the backline. They don't need another first rounder they need 2-4 mature players to come in and get this young group up to scratch
Absulutely need it, pick 1 and 2 for Rowell and Anderson and trade Brisbane first round and GC next year Future 2nd for multiple 2 and third Rd pick for Mature body out of contract players whether it is Mcveigh, Burgoyne to Greenwood. Easton with GCS could become another episode of superannuation retirement fund. GCS future second is like late first.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should never have been formed in the first place, should’ve had less teams not more.
Too late for it now, I mean how many players went back to Victorian or WA,SA.
Lynch, May, Prestia, Caddy, O meara, Bennell, Matera, Dixon, Scrimshaw, Hall, Bailey Scott, KK etc.....

Seems to me GC's fitness and medical teams may not be up to standard.

I've heard from a few GC players who changed clubs directly or indirectly say that the pre-seasons at their new clubs were a lot tougher.

I know you have a lot of young players, but pretty much every year GC seem to run out of gas from a fitness standpoint, and also get a unusually high amount of injuries...can't be coincidence to happen year after year.

Would be interested to compare the experience/CV's of your fitness & medical staff vs Brisbane's.
Previous years this was most certainly the case. Dollar spend in the $Millions below the top club because the AFL wouldn’t put in at the time and the club itself (relying on AFL funding) couldn’t afford to. Had to wait for years until after the Commonwealth Games to get decent facilities. When Rocket came in the poached Cordy from the Dogs who was meant to be one of the best in the business but obviously didn’t perform as the injuries kept coming. Got rid of Cordy and internally promoted Rigby who really ramped up our training loads over summer but still the injuries are at alarming levels. Brisbane on the other hand has just about the best in the AFL, and the results show it.

Club needs to invest more but because we have such a young list from day one the loads on the kids are breaking them before they are ready. It’s like an endless circle. Unless we can find a way to recruit 4-5 decent senior mature bodies, not GHS, Murdoch and other cast offs, I’m concerned it will only continue. Problem is no decent players want to come here because they’re no chance at playing finals.

This.

Opposition supporters on this forum, particularly ones in the bottom third of the ladder, will say everything they can to argue "it won't help", but the reality is, picking up Anderson + Rowell would be an amazing coup for the Gold Coast, and set them up for the future in midfield.

Until one or both leave to come back to Vic as soon as they can.

They are literally tanking before our eyes for priority picks.

Watch them get away with it too, because the AFL are stubborn.
Hardly tanking if everyone thought they wouldn’t win a game this year and was expecting one of the worst seasons by a team ever losing your two key posts who’s were captains and replacing them with 18 year olds after finishing last year in 17th
Do you think they have a top 8 list?

I have not been reading this thread recently but I hope no one is suggesting that on field performances are a reflection of why a team would not work in the Gold Coast. The on field performances is not affected by location. They could be in Tasmania right now and with the same players, the same coaching staff they would be just as god awful. Also Gold Coast fans have never even been given a chance. Their team has been rubbish their entire history. Imagine how good crowds a Tasmanian team would be getting if they had not made the finals in 7 years and were currently being beaten by almost 100 points every match. You would be able to count the crowd with an abacus.

That's what everyone was saying about Rankine, except he recently re-signed.

Small brained people like you always think if a club is doing bad, they can't retain any good players. Even guys like Tom Lynch and Steven May stayed there for a large part of their careers, despite never playing finals.

while plenty left Sherlock.

& save the personal abuse for s**t holes like the bay where your type belong.

I have not been reading this thread recently but I hope no one is suggesting that on field performances are a reflection of why a team would not work in the Gold Coast. The on field performances is not affected by location. They could be in Tasmania right now and with the same players, the same coaching staff they would be just as god awful. Also Gold Coast fans have never even been given a chance. Their team has been rubbish their entire history. Imagine how good crowds a Tasmanian team would be getting if they had not made the finals in 7 years and were currently being beaten by almost 100 points every match. You would be able to count the crowd with an abacus.

Not entirely true as they were on track for finals until Ablett did his shoulder.

But yeah, just imagine Swans crowds if they missed the finals a couple seasons in a row, hell they start jumping off after half a dozen bad games.

Not entirely true as they were on track for finals until Ablett did his shoulder.

But yeah, just imagine Swans crowds if they missed the finals a couple seasons in a row, hell they start jumping off after half a dozen bad games.

Any crowd would really. Teams need to sell their fans hope, and right now there is very little hope about Gold Coast's list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back