Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the fact that they've had Ablett come off the books and now the possibility of Lynch and Day as well, yet are not being linked to any Free Agent means that the media is totally off with where they're at or they can't attract any talent. How much salary cap is that freeing up? Arethey not have been in the game to sign Gaff, De Goey (until he signed), Sloane (until he signed), the two McGoverns, Luke Dahlhaus,and guys a rung or two below Cam Guthrie, Mitch Wallis, Jordan Roughhead etc.

They could surely make some offers too good to refuse based on their current cap. Yet I suspect if anyone of the big names went they, the footy world would be pretty stunned.

Couldn't agree more. Pity the tram wasn't taken from say broadbeach out to Metricon. Its a pain to get to as it is now. More so for visitors not real familiar with the GC, could even put some people off going up there.

Agree with this, most game threads on our board will generally have someone from the travelling sides team asking for the best way to get to the game, went to a game in Melbourne last year against the Hawks, not only was it super easy to get to, I couldn't believe how quickly and easily the MCG emptied out at the end with no massive lines where you have to wait for half an hour to forty five minutes just to jump on public transport to a place to wait to catch other public transport.

A tram running from Pacific Fair to Nerang Train station would be ideal but now that the Commonwealth Games have come and gone, I would say that it is unlikely that this will happen.

Agree with this, most game threads on our board will generally have someone from the travelling sides team asking for the best way to get to the game, went to a game in Melbourne last year against the Hawks, not only was it super easy to get to, I couldn't believe how quickly and easily the MCG emptied out at the end with no massive lines where you have to wait for half an hour to forty five minutes just to jump on public transport to a place to wait to catch other public transport.

A tram running from Pacific Fair to Nerang Train station would be ideal but now that the Commonwealth Games have come and gone, I would say that it is unlikely that this will happen.

I would actually pay good money to see Gil McLachlan and Lord Flashheart meet.

I don't get why this is the case.

Aside from simply not being your original home town/state, what makes the Gold Coast an unattractive place to live for young, cashed-up footy players?
They need to do some heavy lifting and most of them are soft utensils who still want to suck on their mummy’s T**ty and have success delivered to them on a plate rather than having to work for it.

They're pretty much ******. Will lose Lynch. Will lose May next year. Swallow looks like leaving now, with kids like Brodie and Scrimshaw rumored to be wanting out.

Who will be left? They don't have the draft concessions anymore and a couple of picks a year isn't going to rebuild them any time soon.

Hard to build a football team if nobody wants to live there.
It is hard, but it's not completely impossible. It's been effectively done twice - Robert Walls in Brisbane (who doesn't get nearly enough credit for his work there IMO), and Barassi in Sydney. Both were coaches who'd run winning sides and were renowned hardarses.

They need to do some heavy lifting and most of them are soft utensils who still want to suck on their mummy’s T**ty and have success delivered to them on a plate rather than having to work for it.

I'm not talking about on-field, but just as a place to live. If you're a fit 18-25 year old with plenty of disposable income, there's plenty of worse places to be.

I don't get why this is the case.

Aside from simply not being your original home town/state, what makes the Gold Coast an unattractive place to live for young, cashed-up footy players?
Two sides to it I reckon:
1) The football team is awful and senior players are leaving. It's one thing to relocate, another to relocate to a shocking side.
2) The Gold Coast has a reputation for being a flashy, trashy, glitzy, shallow party town - that's great for some people, but it's not for everyone. It's a bit more... Franklin, than Roughead.

No sporting club has ever succeeded on the Gold Coast. Not sure why the AFL thought they were going to be an exception to this.

Because they have the financial and administrative infrastructure to continue to prop it up if needed, unlike the NRL/NBL/A-League.

Clubs don't fail or fold because of on-field results, but because of finances.

I'm not talking about on-field, but just as a place to live. If you're a fit 18-25 year old with plenty of disposable income, there's plenty of worse places to be.
Exactly. That’s what I meant as well. It’s not the location. I’ve lived and traveled to many parts of the globe and the Real Gold Coast (not the tourist honey traps) is a truly special place.

Ablett had the burden of star player. Should never have been the captain. He needed at least 6 senior players of reliable character alongside him in the side and another 6 in the 2's. I think they got about 3 of each at best. Harbrow, Rischitelli and maybe Fraser.

Bock, Brown, Brennan and Krakouer was almost a joke. Brown was probably ok for them and got himself fired! Nathan Ablett..
Compare and contrast to GWS, who went for good footballers who were very good leaders, rather than brilliant footballers who were ordinary leaders. Callan Ward was being spoken of as a future Bulldogs captain before he left. Ablett, on the other hand, was never going to make captain ahead of Selwood, Bartel, Ling, Taylor.

I can only recommend a trip to the GC to watch the footy. Free bus from Broadbeach to Carrara, great ground and good viewing. Go and visit before you give it a whack.
FOR tourists its great and easy. For locals, 90% of which do not live on broadbeach/surfers, its a pain to get to. But awesome once there for sure.

So everyone- come on up and watch your team and spend a couple of nights.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FOR tourists its great and easy. For locals, 90% of which do not live on broadbeach/surfers, its a pain to get to. But awesome once there for sure.

So everyone- come on up and watch your team and spend a couple of nights.
You work for the qld government of tourism?

I know what’s wrong with Gold Coast it’s their bloody tops horrible.
Change it to red and yellow stripes and see what a difference it makes, if it feels like a real top they’ll play like a real team.

Just a suggestion but I think it will go a long way in changing the joint for the better. The current tops just stinks, It means nothing and it shows!

You work for the qld government of tourism?
Haha no. Just think live footy at metricon, partic at twilight, is awesome having watched footy in all timeslots at all current AFL venues (bar Launceston).
A lot of people dont get to see gold coast games as we get 1-2 on free to air (outside of Qld) and people only see results and occasional highlight.
We are here and we are not going anywhere- embrace us. It can and will turn around.

Gone from 3-1 to 3-13. Scoring 60 points a game, playing in front of about 5,000 fans and have just allowed Adelaide to put up the highest score for the year.

The problem for the Suns and the AFL is it's getting worse, not better.

Went to the game last week. Awesome place to watch footy.
Easy access in and out, not a bad seat in the house, nice pleasant weather that is a great break from June/July/August Melbourne cold, you can walk around and watch from standing room, it's not a massive ordeal to get to your seat like the MCG or Etihad.

If Richmond play their every year, I'd be happy to make it an annual trip.

Definetelt nothing wrong with the viewing situation.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back