Gold Coast - what the hell is happening here?

Remove this Banner Ad

I get you

I was making a general statement

Player retention is one piece of the puzzle

Noted, apologies for the confusion, Flashy shouldn't post when he's angry.

dons-removals-banner-wording-new-2.jpg

No you weren't and don't act as like you are some sort of exemplary example either, after your first decent month of football in 5 years.

If you had of lost all those kids & Beams, Zorko, Martin etc, you might come close to the equivalent of losing Ablett, Dixon, Lynch, May, Swallow in consecutive years

Ah, so you don't know our history of only a few years ago. 5 years ago we had the GoHome 5 - Docherty(Carlton) Yeo (West Coast) Jared Polec (Port Adelaide) Longer (Saints) Karneziz (Who knows where)....first 4 aren't doing to bad atm, Lions could've used them at the time.. We then lost Aish (Pies) and Schache (Bulldogs)...

..so yes we had the well reported problem of players supposedly not wanting to play for the Lions. It was an issue for us for quite a while..

We only got Beams because his father was very sick, but yes, his arrival, imo, was the turning point. Zorko is a Qld local who I might add, the GCS overlooked to their folly.

Having said all that, we now have good solid people in charge, more locals on our list etc......it will turn around for the SUNS, I hope it does anyway, Qld needs 2 strong clubs.

...but this thread is not meant to be a long running commentary about the Lions.

Last edited:
It's just part of the anti-expansion club agenda of some in the press I think. Cant be prevented but foolish to take it seriously.

We've had absurd articles that we would put Shiel and Lobb on the trade table in the last couple of weeks. I've never heard of a club trading a required contracted player because of an unfounded assumption they might leave a year later. But the nuffie press will nuff.

I dont know about Lynch, but May has made it pretty obvious it's not on his agenda. Classic add nothing to nothing and try and make something of it, to me.

Yes, WHAT THE HELL! Now rumors of David Swallow wanting out and returning to WA. Can it get any worse for the Suns? Tom Lynch probably gone, Steven May and David Swallow maybe, their 3 best players.

They haven't bottomed out yet, where do they go if they lose these 3?
The reporter who wrote this though, Jon Ralph, wrote this little piece just after O'Meara left, and he then signed a 3 year contract extension within a few weeks. Just likes sticking the boots in, wouldn't take it seriously. By all accounts, very settled on the coast and Andrew and his wife recently moved up to the coast with them.
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...y/news-story/4970c3019d5944901b885714843a344d

This was also written a few weeks ago, and just makes Ralph's piece sound a lot like fake news
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-07-10/dreams-of-success-keep-original-sun-loyal

"Everyone's got different reasons as to why they've moved on, but for me personally I like living on the Gold Coast," he said.

"You have a certain loyalty to the club in terms of what they've given to me and my family.

"I'm certainly committed to try and help the club and get the success that everyone that has been here a long time deserves."

Last edited:
What are the problems?

Stadium - nope the crowds came when they weren't rubbish
Facilities - new now, how far is the lag between when new facilities are open and when the benefit comes?
Location - surely there's worse places to play AFL footy than the GC. I get the night club culture problems. I get that it isn't a state with a lot of locals (although footy in QLD isn't rubbish), but it's not terrible
Coaching - on to the 3rd coach now
Fitness - about to turn over the fitness boss again if reports are correct, so many talented Suns have suffered injuries
Recruiting - this was surely an issue but they made changes didn't they? Bye bye Scott Clayton?

So the real issue seems to be that the players. They just can't get the right mix of talent on the field to form a competent team. So what does it take to create a competent team?

Brisbane on the weekend:
2 A grade midfielders - Beams, Zorko
Reliable (somewhat) experienced B or C graders - Martin, Rich, Robinson, Lester, Christensen
Role players - Walker, McInerny, Barrett
Those guys have paved the way for the success of these guys:
Young quality talent - McCluggage, Hipwood, Witherden, Berry, Rayner,
Young talent - Gardiner, Cutler, McStay, Taylor, Robertson, Mathieson, Cox
(and this doesn't include Harris Andrews and Charlie Cameron or some other promising draft picks)

GC
A graders: May (inj), Lynch (injured and gone)
B or C graders: Witts, Swallow, Lyons, Weller, Martin, Harbrow, Miller, Thompson,
talented but injured: Day, Hanley, Kolodjashnij
Role players: Young, Holman?, Joyce

talented kids on the list: Wright, Ah Chee, Fiorini, Ainsworth, Scrimshaw, Brodie, Bowes, Ballard

2016 draft
Brisbane:
3 - McCluggage - in great form
17 - Berry - future captain
23 - Witherden - gun
24 - Cox - developing talent

GC
4 - Ainsworth - injured
7 - Scrimshaw - injured?
9 - Brodie - building some form
10 - Bowes - injured

The message for Gold Coast has to be stop drafting young talented kids and immediately having them miss so much time due to injury. They are also really crying out for at least 1 A grade midfielder but it doesn't seem likely that they'll get one. They still have enough tall talent and flankers, plus at least a good glut of B grade mids - Witts, Swallow, Lyons, Miller should at least make teams work in the centre - so they just have to keep drafting until they get one or two quality midfielders. But once again, it comes down to injuries and keeping a core group on the park together!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No sporting club has ever succeeded on the Gold Coast. Not sure why the AFL thought they were going to be an exception to this.
AFL didnt think about success.
They have stkilda /north the opportunity to re locate to the GC and were knocked back.
So the next move was to pour 200 mill into a GC fabricated club and they now have a chance of buying back the next 2 victorian licences that go broke with afl holding no responsibility towards thise Clubs .
As much as i hate Sheedy and his drunken s**t the afl did well to appoint him and position the right people in the right areas.
GC somehow missed that boat.
My B in law who works at the club consistently holds his head between hands and cries why why why.
He insists it will be another 20 years.

The people that actually need the blame are Guy McKenna, Gary Ablett Jnr and Karmichael Hunt. All of them created the toxic culture now at the Suns.
Hunt for sure, not so much the other 2.

Ablett had the burden of star player. Should never have been the captain. He needed at least 6 senior players of reliable character alongside him in the side and another 6 in the 2's. I think they got about 3 of each at best. Harbrow, Rischitelli and maybe Fraser.

Bock, Brown, Brennan and Krakouer was almost a joke. Brown was probably ok for them and got himself fired! Nathan Ablett..

McKenna didn't seem the worst coach. But he needed a senior assistant and a senior footy manager. Hinkley was great, then he was gone, replaced by Primus who was a disaster at Port. Footy manager - Marcus Ashcroft - stuff all experience in that.

Fitness coach - well........ the less said the better there. Recruiting/list manager - Scotty flankers Clayton who's best days were well gone.

No facilities, no competent experienced staff and very few of the right type of players

Hunt for sure, not so much the other 2.

Ablett had the burden of star player. Should never have been the captain. He needed at least 6 senior players of reliable character alongside him in the side and another 6 in the 2's. I think they got about 3 of each at best. Harbrow, Rischitelli and maybe Fraser.

Bock, Brown, Brennan and Krakouer was almost a joke. Brown was probably ok for them and got himself fired! Nathan Ablett..

McKenna didn't seem the worst coach. But he needed a senior assistant and a senior footy manager. Hinkley was great, then he was gone, replaced by Primus who was a disaster at Port. Footy manager - Marcus Ashcroft - stuff all experience in that.

Fitness coach - well........ the less said the better there. Recruiting/list manager - Scotty flankers Clayton who's best days were well gone.

No facilities, no competent experienced staff and very few of the right type of players

Not to mention their senior recruiter seemed intent on drafting players with lots of skill but who were so thin they would be easily bullied off the ball.

getting to the stadium is a problem for locals. how many people would go to a new stadium say if built in the burbs of Melbourne, with no tram line, nearest train station a 25 min walk away and little or no parking? ie you have to bus it in.

also, in melb you can pretty much rock up to say the G and pay $25 and sit anywhere on the top level (aside from MCC and AFL members) and the bottom level. at Metricon, all those seats you see empty cost upwards of $40/50 and more. http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/GOLDC1918/venues/CST/performances/EGCS2018820/tickets

they are charging perth (and Adelaide) prices in a growing area.

getting to the stadium is a problem for locals. how many people would go to a new stadium say if built in the burbs of Melbourne, with no tram line, nearest train station a 25 min walk away and little or no parking? ie you have to bus it in.

also, in melb you can pretty much rock up to say the G and pay $25 and sit anywhere on the top level (aside from MCC and AFL members) and the bottom level. at Metricon, all those seats you see empty cost upwards of $40/50 and more. http://premier.ticketek.com.au/events/GOLDC1918/venues/CST/performances/EGCS2018820/tickets

Interesting but not surprising by idiots at AFL HQ

Interesting but not surprising by idiots at AFL HQ
friggen joke really

I have people here - born and bred locals - who are kinda interested but when you say you have to bus it, plus its going to cost x amount of $ to sit in a reasonable spot they just go too hard

Couldn't agree more. Pity the tram wasn't taken from say broadbeach out to Metricon. Its a pain to get to as it is now. More so for visitors not real familiar with the GC, could even put some people off going up there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back