Goulburn Valley FL 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
Possibly already been covered but..

Thoughts on a staggered points system based on finishing ladder position?
(Maybe a 2 year or 3 year rolling cycle?)

Would this help create some version of hope and equity?

Hi all
Possibly already been covered but..

Thoughts on a staggered points system based on finishing ladder position?
(Maybe a 2 year or 3 year rolling cycle?)

Would this help create some version of hope and equity?

Possibly already been mentioned but the way the points system is implemented in our league is farcical. If the league actually put some thought into how the points are distributed instead of a blanket approach (except for in the case of swans with more points) which see all clubs allocated the same then it could be used much more effectively.
Tat being allocated the same amount as ky when they don't have a high school and a much lower population base is a joke.

Sustainability and equalization cannot co-exist in the modern age with the amount of clubs currently in existence.

The sheer weight of numbers required to field the amount of sides in the GM region in this day and age will always mean that certain sides are going to struggle. Times have changed and football is no longer the thing that most kids now grow up playing. In addition to this, work and educational opportunities are somewhat limited in regional areas so again this is a real factor that impacts local clubs to retain players.

If the points system is designed to benefit clubs who retain players from under 18s onwards then how can a club who struggles to field under 18s ever be in a position to be competitive against a club who has a strong junior program?

The answer is, as has been in the past, spend lots of money! Again, this model is only good while a club is in a strong financial position which history shows, doesn't last forever. Where does the money come from? Who at club level is responsible for the generation of income? In many cases, it seems that the heavy lifting gets left to too few. Not sustainable long term.

As difficult as it is to say, in my very humble personal opinion, the only way to see good quality competitive competitions is to see less clubs.

Perhaps then you will have a football landscape where there is less stress on clubs in terms of player numbers, juniors coming through, more sponsorship dollars, club volunteers, an entertaining level of competitive equality and long term sustainability.

Sustainability and equalization cannot co-exist in the modern age with the amount of clubs currently in existence.

The sheer weight of numbers required to field the amount of sides in the GM region in this day and age will always mean that certain sides are going to struggle. Times have changed and football is no longer the thing that most kids now grow up playing. In addition to this, work and educational opportunities are somewhat limited in regional areas so again this is a real factor that impacts local clubs to retain players.

If the points system is designed to benefit clubs who retain players from under 18s onwards then how can a club who struggles to field under 18s ever be in a position to be competitive against a club who has a strong junior program?

The answer is, as has been in the past, spend lots of money! Again, this model is only good while a club is in a strong financial position which history shows, doesn't last forever. Where does the money come from? Who at club level is responsible for the generation of income? In many cases, it seems that the heavy lifting gets left to too few. Not sustainable long term.

As difficult as it is to say, in my very humble personal opinion, the only way to see good quality competitive competitions is to see less clubs.

Perhaps then you will have a football landscape where there is less stress on clubs in terms of player numbers, juniors coming through, more sponsorship dollars, club volunteers, an entertaining level of competitive equality and long term sustainability.
I agree , football is like most other things in the world being that it is strongly influenced by supply and demand.
However I'd, prefer to see more supply to see the game grow rather than looking for the white flag.

Possibly already been mentioned but the way the points system is implemented in our league is farcical. If the league actually put some thought into how the points are distributed instead of a blanket approach (except for in the case of swans with more points) which see all clubs allocated the same then it could be used much more effectively.
Tat being allocated the same amount as ky when they don't have a high school and a much lower population base is a joke.
Spot on I think Johnny.
Now points system here, definitely needs modifications for equity as I have mentioned before. Some could be:
- population base
- high schools
- where clubs finish
Had a great conversation with Simon Eishold recently who brought up many anomalies with the point system that needed re-thinking to make it fairer and allowed cases for individual consideration like when clubs can apply for extra- some of which he hasn’t even got the answer to.
BUT the most important things that need to be be done are within the clubs themselves. Create a community where people want to stay and are attracted to. This took Kyabram a 5 year plan before any results even started to be noticed. During this stage (in early 2000s) they had 100 players go through their reserve team in one year! So yes hard work with trying to get the right people.
As Shep News quoted Simon Maddox today “Don’t blame the game, get better at it.”
Another great Echuca FNC stalwart (Ken Stewart) said recently “Kyabram have set the standard. It is up to everyone else to rise to that.”
I do not want to see clubs fall over without everything fair and reasonable being done to keep them going. Football/ Netball clubs are all some young people have to keep them on the straight and narrow. It holds a sense of community for the older generations that also provide a sense of pride and connection.

Spot on I think Johnny.
Now points system here, definitely needs modifications for equity as I have mentioned before. Some could be:
- population base
- high schools
- where clubs finish
Had a great conversation with Simon Eishold recently who brought up many anomalies with the point system that needed re-thinking to make it fairer and allowed cases for individual consideration like when clubs can apply for extra- some of which he hasn’t even got the answer to.
BUT the most important things that need to be be done are within the clubs themselves. Create a community where people want to stay and are attracted to. This took Kyabram a 5 year plan before any results even started to be noticed. During this stage (in early 2000s) they had 100 players go through their reserve team in one year! So yes hard work with trying to get the right people.
As Shep News quoted Simon Maddox today “Don’t blame the game, get better at it.”
Another great Echuca FNC stalwart (Ken Stewart) said recently “Kyabram have set the standard. It is up to everyone else to rise to that.”
I do not want to see clubs fall over without everything fair and reasonable being done to keep them going. Football/ Netball clubs are all some young people have to keep them on the straight and narrow. It holds a sense of community for the older generations that also provide a sense of pride and connection.
Very good summerisation
When burstin comes back to Kyabram next year how many points will he be ?
Not that it will make much difference to the overall tally

Very good summerisation
When burstin comes back to Kyabram next year how many points will he be ?
Not that it will make much difference to the overall tally
Good question Hilly and another anomaly I spoke about with Simon Eishold. Someone in the know will clarify but I believe he will be on the same as he left, which for a non local shouldn’t be right.
I believe the system for non locals (who have not stayed long enough to get to one point) should be if they leave, an additional point is added to their value from what they left on for each season they are away until they reach the value of whatever current league they are playing.

Whilst discussing points, does a player have to play a game during the season to be eligible to have a point reduced the following year? For example, if some is registered but does a knee in pre-season or heads OS, does is count? Also, if someone hasn't played for 2-3 years does that have an impact on their points if they were VFL?

Whilst discussing points, does a player have to play a game during the season to be eligible to have a point reduced the following year? For example, if some is registered but does a knee in pre-season or heads OS, does is count? Also, if someone hasn't played for 2-3 years does that have an impact on their points if they were VFL?
Another good question which directly impacts on the signing of Carazzo and Fisher at Echuca.

Time for an English Premier League style 'loan' system. Two players can be 'loaned' from other clubs at any one time.

So Echuca could 'loan' say Cole from Seymour and Stroobants from Rochester when clubs are out of contention.

I am only half joking.

Might be time to just put together an 'All Star' team out on the field on GF day...we might get a contest then tongue?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can remember one Ballarat Publican who also happened to be a club president pulling off many recruiting coups by plying talented players with free beers.
Barrryyyyyyyyyyyy! Just found your June tweet congratulating Ollie Wines. I know a young former Rushy bloke who occasionally regales me with, "I played interleague with Ollie three years in a row." He'll be making a guest appearance with Kangaroo Flat twos on Saturday (Friday night activities permitting). :p

A sad time for the family and friends of Warren Langley who passed away earlier this week. Warren was the Kyabram Football Netball Club’s number one ticket holder and attended most trainings, starting with the thirds. His famous encouraging cry of “C’mon Ky c’mon” will no longer echo across the ground. Warren grew up in Heidelburg. and followed Collingwood in the AFL. His favourite Kyabram senior player was number 22 -Luke Morris, but loved all U18 players
A true gentleman and passionate supporter whose absence will be noticeably missed.
I will miss him too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back