Goulburn Valley FL 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks Swoopin- I’ve enjoyed watching my young fellas too. I can promise you they never inherited any football skills from me!
I have a short history of KD so what I saw this year is all I could go by and Tommy Davies ticks all the boxes.
With GV footy my bias comes in a bit but Paulo has left me breathless with his marking and goal kicking… absolute freak and worth paying for to watch what he could do. Probably the best player I’ve seen in country footy.
I’ve also sent you a PM for an update!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
How many clubs will struggle to field U/16 sides this year in the GV? Now that the SDJFL have changed the age group to U/15s now.. I think Rochy would struggle to field both.. any other clubs in the same boat

How many clubs will struggle to field U/16 sides this year in the GV? Now that the SDJFL have changed the age group to U/15s now.. I think Rochy would struggle to field both.. any other clubs in the same boat

Hence my concern Normo regarding the potential loss of players due to covid. Reckon this season might be the lowest numbers of junior teams we have across the state in a long time !🤨

Hence my concern Normo regarding the potential loss of players due to covid. Reckon this season might be the lowest numbers of junior teams we have across the state in a long time !🤨

I’m tipping this is make or break for kids who are active in playing sport at this moment.. if Covid does play a part in this season, sport in general is going to loose many kids which is bloody sad..

I’m tipping this is make or break for kids who are active in playing sport at this moment.. if Covid does play a part in this season, sport in general is going to loose many kids which is bloody sad..
Yep I'm a doomsayer ..Lorne Pier to Pub cancelled! This could be the third year and hence virtually a generation of footballers unable to play or wanting to play.

Something tribal about Euroa! Grandstand close to the action in a beautiful setting. I have a bit of a bias towards Seymour's Kings Park.

Feels like it might be a bit similar to Macedon's home ground. No grandstand, but viewing which has you feeling like you're right on top of the play and certainly a beautiful setting.

That, the Oval in Buninyong which I really enjoyed, and the Morwell Football ground are the venues that have impressed me in my limited trips to country venues. A trip out to Romsey and lunch at one of the nice cafes out there always goes down well too. I can see why people love the footy away from the city venues.

Umpiring is at the crossroads in many competitions and COVID will have a massive impact on numbers due to a range of factors which include younger ones finding alternative part time employment, older ones deciding to do something else with their spare time and others walking away as they haven’t missed it and don’t enjoy it any more due to having to umpire multiple games on a single day or over weekends due to low numbers.

The GV recently advertised for another director of umpiring (has been a revolving door role) and the response wasn’t great (the money to take on the role full time isn’t anything to write home about) but I’m told an announcement isn’t far away. Not a great time to be able to find someone that has the skill set needed to coach umpires as many prospective candidates are now doing other things.

I think also considering the level of commitment and other factors such as abuse (an old chestnut), paperwork (there is a bit of that) and training, coaching sessions and tribunal, the payment to umpires isn’t great in comparison to what clubs shell out for high profile players who often give nothing back to the club or the competition.

Umpiring is a thankless task and one that you can never get right. Many guys just do it as it allows them to stay involved in footy and have a social aspect. Unfortunately with the drift of younger people to the city for various reasons and the ageing population in rural areas, attracting ample numbers to officiate all games will continue to be a problem. Many clubs need to get their head out of the sand and try and help in improving this situation but unfortunately that will never happen as they are only interested in their own backyard, but are the first to complain about the standard, more often than not with no conclusive argument apart from a high level of emotion that would be better channelled elsewhere.

Happy 2022 everyone!
Local , I believe there was no interest from suitable applicants for the RGM position within AFLGM either and it will be re-advertised.
Not certain on where the process is at for the 2 vacant FDM roles .
Whilst I’ve been told from within AFL Vic that every allegation that was made against a past employee has been found to be frivolous and fabricated . Hopefully the perpetrator is removed ASAP , as the region has been in free fall since his departure .

Yep I'm a doomsayer ..Lorne Pier to Pub cancelled! This could be the third year and hence virtually a generation of footballers unable to play or wanting to play.
Announced today apparently that blanket isolation is no longer required for close contacts , who work within the medical industry. They are only required to pass a Random Anti Gen Test on arrival to work and must wear a mask until their close contact has done their 7 days .
It’s a massive shift given it involves the medical industry and I think gives indication that isolation will soon only be required for those who don’t pass a rapid antigen test .

Feels like it might be a bit similar to Macedon's home ground. No grandstand, but viewing which has you feeling like you're right on top of the play and certainly a beautiful setting.

That, the Oval in Buninyong which I really enjoyed, and the Morwell Football ground are the venues that have impressed me in my limited trips to country venues. A trip out to Romsey and lunch at one of the nice cafes out there always goes down well too. I can see why people love the footy away from the city venues.

Macedon is probably the most picturesque oval in the state, Barwon heads and Lorne also have nice grounds. The best ground surface was tooleybuc, it was like playing on a fairway, rooms was moama, with the heating, warm up areas, wandella is the most out of the way, think it's the only ground where you need to drive a fair way on a gravel road, within a Forrest and in flat country was placed on a hill, where one wing is a couple of metres higher then the other side. I'd say from a historic point of view the qeo in Bendigo is up there as well

Announced today apparently that blanket isolation is no longer required for close contacts , who work within the medical industry. They are only required to pass a Random Anti Gen Test on arrival to work and must wear a mask until their close contact has done their 7 days .
It’s a massive shift given it involves the medical industry and I think gives indication that isolation will soon only be required for those who don’t pass a rapid antigen test .
Thats still going to get a few you'd think roar, you and bootz be out for a week as an example

Local , I believe there was no interest from suitable applicants for the RGM position within AFLGM either and it will be re-advertised.
Whilst I’ve been told from within AFL Vic that every allegation that was made against a past employee has been found to be frivolous and fabricated . Hopefully the perpetrator is removed ASAP , as the region has been in free fall since his departure .
Not sure you can just sack them roar, their would be further allegations then

Thats still going to get a few you'd think roar, you and bootz be out for a week as an example
Trent I reckon they have all but unlocked the gates as so to speak and as such IMO it’ll run it’s coarse rather quickly, weeks rather than months .
From personal health point of view , I’m as good as 7 days post first symptoms and on the assumption I don’t suddenly have a down turn , I have had a lot worst flu symptoms and played with worst symptons. I’m also respectful that it is inconsistent and for no good reason others are more affected .

Not sure you can just sack them roar, their would be further allegations then
Aside from locally , a number of very good people have been required to apply for a new job due to a ‘ restructure’ and not got to step 1 .
Jeff Chandler , Dean Rice just to name a couple .

Last edited:
Macedon is probably the most picturesque oval in the state, Barwon heads and Lorne also have nice grounds. The best ground surface was tooleybuc, it was like playing on a fairway, rooms was moama, with the heating, warm up areas, wandella is the most out of the way, think it's the only ground where you need to drive a fair way on a gravel road, within a Forrest and in flat country was placed on a hill, where one wing is a couple of metres higher then the other side. I'd say from a historic point of view the qeo in Bendigo is up there as well

Some great and picturesque grounds there Trent. I would question Macedon being the most picturesque with my choice being Warburton in the AFL Outer East competition. A magnificent location surrounded by mountains and the Yarra River running directly alongside the reserve. Healesville in the same league also figures highly and has ripping facilities and a first class surface to boot.

As for the GV, I love going to Mansfield on a sunny day. The view to the mountains is something else and the colours of the trees in Autumn make the trip worthwhile.

The QEO is a magnificent venue and in my opinion one of the best in the state. Seems such a waste to not see elite footy being played there regularly. The last AFL practice game held there was a beauty. Why venues such as North Ballarat, Morwell and Deakin Reserve are preferred has got me miffed. In regards to heritage, I would nominate Princes Park at Maryborough due to its great location and historic grandstand.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some great and picturesque grounds there Trent. I would question Macedon being the most picturesque with my choice being Warburton in the AFL Outer East competition. A magnificent location surrounded by mountains and the Yarra River running directly alongside the reserve. Healesville in the same league also figures highly and has ripping facilities and a first class surface to boot.

As for the GV, I love going to Mansfield on a sunny day. The view to the mountains is something else and the colours of the trees in Autumn Make the trip worthwhile.

The QEO is a magnificent venue and in my opinion one of the best in the state. Seems such a waste to not see elite footy being played there regularly. The last AFL practice game held there was a beauty. Why venues such as North Ballarat, Morwell and Deakin Reserve are preferred has got me miffed. In regards to heritage, I would nominate Princes Park at Maryborough due to its great location and historic grandstand.

I think the issue the QEO has its more about the amenities for attendees. It’s a great surface and atmosphere but can be a hassle for those attending if the crowds are big

As for the GV, I love going to Mansfield on a sunny day. The view to the mountains is something else and the colours of the trees in Autumn Make the trip worthwhile.

I understand the perspective as QEO is a great ground but North gets used on the basis that the Bulldogs are trying to make Ballarat a stronghold for them in the west as they look to expand their footprint beyond their original heartland.
IMO it'd be great if other sides took a similar approach to engage fans in regional Vic.

I understand the perspective as QEO is a great ground but North gets used on the basis that the Bulldogs are trying to make Ballarat a stronghold for them in the west as they look to expand their footprint beyond their original heartland.
IMO it'd be great if other sides took a similar approach to engage fans in regional Vic.

Essendon tried with Bendigo but too many backwards thinking people ended up killing that off

Essendon tried with Bendigo but too many backwards thinking people ended up killing that off
North Melbourne & the Roosters experienced similar but the Dogs appear to be having a better go of it this time around, hopefully someone else commits the time and effort into the Bendigo region (& elsewhere), as it'd go some way to making the game more accessible.

I’d love to have a crack at such a role, but sadly it’s not worth throwing in the day job to do so.

North Melbourne & the Roosters experienced similar but the Dogs appear to be having a better go of it this time around, hopefully someone else commits the time and effort into the Bendigo region (& elsewhere), as it'd go some way to making the game more accessible.
Historically, Carlton would be the best fit. Bendigo was a strong recruiting zone for the Blues with Sheldon, Ray Byrne, McConville, Southby, Keogh etc all coming from the region.Even a couple of Carlton VFL games could be a start to establishing a connection in the area.

I don't think there will be reserves, as once you catch covid you'll need to isolate for a week, so there's not going to be the number of players to fill out two teams. Similar to the cricket, with head out and the Aussies bringing in 4 players in case anyone else catches covid. Not sure if players would need to get to take the quick anitgen tests before they play on Fridays?

Have most clubs still gone the metro recruiting policy? You are more likely to get covid in Melbourne than Albury. You'd hate to go into final and a carload of Melbourne guys can't play.

I think and hope footy will go ahead, but I think you'll need a strong core of guys living locally to win it

How would a GV competition operate without Reserves?

Would GV clubs contract say 30 players and then send their excess players to district clubs under an MOU?

The contract would have to state that if said player was required at GV level that they’d have to play. Imagine the Pandora’s box situation if the player decided to stay with their district club who may be heading into finals, as opposed to their GV team that are missing out. How would all of this work under a points system for the district club? Lots of moving parts under this scenario.

How would a GV competition operate without Reserves?

Would GV clubs contract say 30 players and then send their excess players to district clubs under an MOU?

The contract would have to state that if said player was required at GV level that they’d have to play. Imagine the Pandora’s box situation if the player decided to stay with their district club who may be heading into finals, as opposed to their GV team that are missing out. How would all of this work under a points system for the district club? Lots of moving parts under this scenario.

42 clubs outside of the GVL within the AFLGM Region .
Split them as equally as possible across the 12 GVL clubs and they form as the development for GVL clubs.
GVL has Seniors and U19’s .
Would increase relationship between community league with all having a invested interest in their nearby feeder ( community clubs ) or the premier (GVL) club .
Structure games so that GVL clubs games and it’s feeder clubs games aren’t on at the same time to increase supporter attandence at both .
Could extend it further with the country portion of what is currently NAB cup being based as u19 regionally based comp. Eg GM region has a u19 side in state comp as does Bendigo , Ballarat , O&M , Gippsland etc etc. it would therefore merely be more
like a premier league rep Squad .

Split them as equally as possible across the 12 GVL clubs and they form as the development for GVL clubs.
Would increase relationship between community league with all having a invested interest in their nearby feeder ( community clubs ) or the premier (GVL) club .
Structure games so that GVL clubs games and it’s feeder clubs games aren’t on at the same time to increase supporter attandence at both .
Could extend it further with the country portion of what is currently NAB cup being based as u19 regionally based comp. Eg GM region has a u19 side in state comp as does Bendigo , Ballarat , O&M , Gippsland etc etc. it would therefore merely be more

Is the league good enough to have this style of “elite” Comp

Thats the best idea you've come up with roar

Historically, Carlton would be the best fit. Bendigo was a strong recruiting zone for the Blues with Sheldon, Ray Byrne, McConville, Southby, Keogh etc all coming from the region.Even a couple of Carlton VFL games could be a start to establishing a connection in the area.

And Ashman, Dean, Hartney, Oliver, Williams etc 🤣 Go Baggers!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back