News Grand Final at the Craypot

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers, South Fremantle
He knows what will happen if people get used to the idea of the GF not being at the MCG all the time.

I have a friend who was an Uber driver in Melbourne in 2018. A few days before the 2018 GF he had Gillan McLaughlin and another guy ride in his car. They were talking about the upcoming GF and who might win etc. They asked my friend who he supported. My friend said he supported West Coast, and took the opportunity to say how unjust it is that the Eagles should be playing the GF as a home game, but instead have to play on Collingwood's home.

My friend said both Gillon and the other guy just laughed and gloated that they had sown up the GF for the next 40years at the MCG and there is no way it would ever be played in Perth.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I have a friend who was an Uber driver in Melbourne in 2018. A few days before the 2018 GF he had Gillan McLaughlin and another guy ride in his car. They were talking about the upcoming GF and who might win etc. They asked my friend who he supported. My friend said he supported West Coast, and took the opportunity to say how unjust it is that the Eagles should be playing the GF as a home game, but instead have to play on Collingwood's home.

My friend said both Gillon and the other guy just laughed and gloated that they had sown up the GF for the next 40years at the MCG and there is no way it would ever be played in Perth.
I call bull or slightly sensationalised.
You would've told this story before now if it was true

I’ve interviewed thousands of professional Uber drivers and they all tell the same story.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
How about everyone who wants to attend the GF if it is at Optus Isolates at Joondalup for the two weeks prior, just in case.

Tent city at Joondalup Resort, haha.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Do I have this right?... if you test negative on the Wednesday, you can get inside Eddie's 'ring of steel' for carnivals etc before the GF and then have a rapid test on the Saturday before the GF?

What would happen if you test positive on the Saturday? Does that then create hotpot for anyone who has been inside ring of steel? And they'd all have to isolate for a few days? Meaning there would be zero people at the GF?

That idea also ignores the key risk of transport to the event. Sure, they will probably stop the infected person from getting into the GF precinct, but they may have infected a bunch of people on the way in. Then those people infect others over the next week as they have no reason to suspect infection (given they had a negative test at the GF) and away it goes.

For his idea to work, they need to make sure only GF people travel together on public transport and then everyone quarantines for two weeks afterwards (which is not going to happen).

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams

Totally not bull. My friend has only this year moved back from Melbourne for work and I only caught up with him last week - and of course we talked footy.

I was really surprised to be honest, so I asked my friend if they were just joking, but he said they were dead serious.

Also, my friend is not one to sensationalise, which is why I felt safe to share it.

He knows what will happen if people get used to the idea of the GF not being at the MCG all the time.
That’s spot on, and is true for most things. Once you let people release the ‘old way’ doesn’t inherently need to keep happening, the mask slips very quickly.

If they let people realise that it doesn’t have to be at the G, if the only argument they have (it’s history, it’s tradition) withers away, they have less and less to stand on and new generations of fans won’t believe it when they’re told it.

Balls In

Brownlow Medallist
May 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
There was never anything about setting the grandfinal venue in perpetuity at the MCG that was ever justifiable. What happened is a bunch of tossers from Victoria calling themselves the AFL, conspired with the Victorian state government to enter a commercial agreement with a Victorian venue for the sole purpose of providing Victorian team home ground advantage for all of time.

Last edited:

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
What was the AFL commission doing when this happened? The non Victorian clubs are also to blame, they should have come out and protested. Sydney tried to organise something but our club was not interested which killed it pretty quick.

The SA and WA state Governments also missed a chance. They should have made GF access a condition of paying $1B for new stadiums. Or when the Melbourne deal was announced, could have threatened to reduce funding.

It seems like the industry has just accepted it is the VFL and everyone is out for themselves.

WCE_phil

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 14, 2009
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
What was the AFL commission doing when this happened? The non Victorian clubs are also to blame, they should have come out and protested. Sydney tried to organise something but our club was not interested which killed it pretty quick.

The SA and WA state Governments also missed a chance. They should have made GF access a condition of paying $1B for new stadiums. Or when the Melbourne deal was announced, could have threatened to reduce funding.

It seems like the industry has just accepted it is the VFL and everyone is out for themselves.

The afl owns or controls almost every clubs AFL licences. I know WCE and Freo are owned by the WAFC but the AFL owns both SA clubs licences, GWS, Gold Coast. If you are discounting Victorian clubs (who get the benefit of the MCG grand final) who can actually complain?

Jan 9, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
An excerpt from The West tonight....

"Issue
Perth Australian Football League Finals Hub 2021

Background
The AFL has approached the Department of Premier and Cabinet to assess the Western Australian Government’s interest in and willingness to host the entirety of the 2021 AFL Finals Series in Perth.
The proposal involves nine matches to be played over four weeks, with eight teams, associated staff, broadcasters and administrators relocating to suitable accommodation for between two and four weeks.
The AFL has indicated it has received in-principle agreement from players, clubs and officials for this to occur in a “hub” model where all participants would abide by strict quarantine and social distancing protocols.
The AFL has suggested a funding commitment by the State of Western Australia will be required to facilitate these arrangements.
The AFL requires a decision to be made by no later than 5pm EST on 8 August 2021."

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
There was never anything about setting the grandfinal venue in perpetuity at the MCG that was ever justifiable. What happened is a bunch of tossers from Victoria calling themselves the AFL, conspired with the Victorian state government to enter a commercial agreement with a Victorian venue for the sole purpose of providing Victorian team home ground advantage for all of time.
On quarters podcast yesterday one of the two said flat out that the A in AFL was just an upside down V.

Dennis commetti commentating out of retirement last year called it the VFL as well.

Maintain the rage - always call it the vfl

Jun 11, 2013
AFL Club
West Coast
An excerpt from The West tonight....

"Issue
Perth Australian Football League Finals Hub 2021

Background
The AFL has approached the Department of Premier and Cabinet to assess the Western Australian Government’s interest in and willingness to host the entirety of the 2021 AFL Finals Series in Perth.
The proposal involves nine matches to be played over four weeks, with eight teams, associated staff, broadcasters and administrators relocating to suitable accommodation for between two and four weeks.
The AFL has indicated it has received in-principle agreement from players, clubs and officials for this to occur in a “hub” model where all participants would abide by strict quarantine and social distancing protocols.
The AFL has suggested a funding commitment by the State of Western Australia will be required to facilitate these arrangements.
The AFL requires a decision to be made by no later than 5pm EST on 8 August 2021."

So the AFL wants to have the finals here but wants the WA government to pay for the privilege? The cheek of the VFL never surprises me. 🙄

Back