Preview Grand Final: Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs, Perth Stadium, Saturday 25/09/2021 @ 7:15 AEST

Winner and Norm Smith?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
2021 Toyota AFL Grand Final
Saturday, September 25

:melbourne: vs :bulldogs:

Optus Stadium
5:15pm AWST / 7:15pm AEST

Teams
: Thursday 23rd, 6:20pm AEST

Ticketing information: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/2021-afl-finals-series-afl-grand-final.1285551/post-72130029

Observations

Melbourne: Melbourne handed Geelong a thrashing in their preliminary final, a 10 goal to 1 second half capping a dominant display by Melbourne, the only worry being a possible hamstring injury from star key defender Steven May. Captain Max Gawn was the dominant force on the ground, having 33 hitouts, 19 disposals and a whopping 5 goals to deliver Melbourne to their first Grand Final in 21 years.

Western Bulldogs: The Dogs had a similarly dominant win, dominating from start to finish with a 71 point win against Port Adelaide. Jackson Macrae was prolific through the midfield again, having collected 36 disposals to break the record for most disposals in a season. Bailey Smith kicked 4 goals to go along with 23 disposals playing mostly on a wing whilst Mitch Hannan also kicked 3 to set up a date with his former side.

Head to Head (last 5)

Melbourne 2-3 Western Bulldogs

Form Guide

Melbourne: 5W 0L
Western Bulldogs: 3W 2L

Possible sides

Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs

FB: Jake Lever - Steven May - Christian Salem
FF: Josh Schache - Aaron Naughton - Cody Weightman
HB: Trent Rivers - Harrison Petty - Michael Hibberd
HF: Laitham Vandermeer - Tim English - Mitchell Hannan
MF: Angus Brayshaw - Christian Petracca - Ed Langdon
MF: Adam Treloar - Jackson Macrae - Bailey Smith
HF: Charlie Spargo - Tom McDonald - Bayley Fritsch
HB: Caleb Daniel - Ryan Gardner - Bailey Dale
FF: Luke Jackson - Ben Brown - Kysaiah Pickett
FB: Easton Wood - Alex Keath - Taylor Duryea
OB: Max Gawn - Clayton Oliver - Jack Viney
OB: Stefan Martin - Josh Dunkley - Marcus Bontempelli
IC: James Harmes - Jake Bowey - Tom Sparrow - Alex Neal-Bullen
IC: Lachie Hunter - Roarke Smith - Tom Liberatore - Bailey Williams
IS: James Jordan
IS: Jason Johannisen

Melbourne in: N/A; Out: N/A
Western Bulldogs in: Cody Weightman, Alex Keath; Out: Zaine Cordy (omitted), Anthony Scott (medi-sub)

Western Bulldogs defence vs Melbourne forward line

Melbourne's forward line efficiency has been mid table for most of the home and away season, kicking a goal 22.16% of the time it enters their forward 50. The Dogs are oddly mid table for scores per inside 50 conceded, conceding a score 42.77% of the time when it enters their defensive fifty. The tricky part for the Dogs at this end of the ground is the fact that Melbourne play three talls plus Bayley Fritsch, which means that either Easton Wood or Bailey Williams will be forced to take the resting ruckman whilst Ryan Gardner and Alex Keath take the big boys Tom McDonald and Ben Brown respectively. Expect Taylor Duryea to play on exciting small Kysaiah Pickett, who has been a revelation this year for Melbourne as a small forward with his pressure and class.

Midfield/rucks battle

This is truly where the game will be won and lost. These two sides have been the best in the middle for the majority of the season, Melbourne being 1st in contested possession difference to the Bulldogs 4th, whilst the Dogs are 1st in clearance difference to Melbourne's 6th. The question will be whether or not the Dogs send a run with player to either Clayton Oliver or Christian Petracca, whilst it seems fait accompli that James Harmes will play a lockdown role on Tom Liberatore, who has struggled at times this season with a tag. Still, with Marcus Bontempelli and Jackson Macrae likely to go head to head with Christian Petracca and Clayton Oliver it will be fascinating to see which dominant midfield comes out on top. On the outside, most will be excited to watch Bailey Smith and Ed Langdon go head to head, the pair being two of the best wingers of the competition this year whilst the class and poise of Angus Brayshaw against Adam Treloar will also excite neutrals. The only clear difference through the middle will be the ruck battle, with Max Gawn and Luke Jackson likely to have the measure of Stefan Martin and Tim English.

Western Bulldogs forward line vs Melbourne defence

The Bulldogs had the 4th most efficient forward line this home and away season, kicking a goal 23.92% of the time it entered their forward 50. Melbourne have been the best defensive side in the league this year with a bullet, comceding a score only 35.43% of the time it entered their defensive 50. The Dogs will be hoping Josh Schache can have a similar influence on Jake Lever as he did on Aliir Aliir, the former #2 draft pick shutting down the All Australian really well, but the concern for the Dogs is if Steven May recovers and is able to shut down Aaron Naughton, will Tim English and Cody Weightman be able to kick enough goals to win the match? Mitch Hannan will also be an important factor, the medium forward likely to have Michael Hibberd for company, a man perfectly suited to playing against him.

X-Factor Player

Jake Bowey had to bide his time in the VFL until round 20 this season but since then he's made every post a winner, his 6 games exciting Dees fans with his composure and kicking skills, averaging 17 disposals in his 6 game career so far, having never lost one.

Key stat

Melbourne: Clearances. The dominant ruckman of the competition will be the big advantage for the Demons this game, they need to capitalise to win the match.

Western Bulldogs: Goals per inside 50. Must put pressure on this immense Melbourne defence if they're going to get up here.

Tip

Probably the two best sides for the year apart from a little end of season meltdown from the Dogs. Melbourne's 10 wins, 2 losses record against top 8 sides compared to the Dogs 7-5 has me leaning towards Melbourne by 17 points, Clayton Oliver Norm Smith Medal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Don’t mind who wins this although prefer success for Dogs working class supporter base than elitist Dees.

Don’t understand the angst to Dogs on here.
1. They knocked us out
2. Cody Weightman is a little s**t

Also nowadays painting entire supporter bases with the same brush is extremely outdated. I know Dogs fans who are from upper middle class families, one of whom plays the trumpet in a symphony orchestra and Melbourne fans who are rough as guts tradies who love a beer, smoke and parma for dinner.

1. They knocked us out
2. Cody Weightman is a little sh*t

Also nowadays painting entire supporter bases with the same brush is extremely outdated. I know Dogs fans who are from upper middle class families, one of whom plays the trumpet in a symphony orchestra and Melbourne fans who are rough as guts tradies who love a beer, smoke and parma for dinner.
All of this plus seeing Neale Daniher get to celebrate. Pig Hibberd, Melksham, Nathan Jones, Gawn, Trac. They're an easy team to have a soft spot for. Their game style is easy on the eye. The dogs too much throwing and dropping the ball. Too much umpire assistance in the first 2 finals, they dont deserve the flag.

1. They knocked us out

Also Stringer, Dunkley, losing to them a few times by fairly large margins. Then beating them more recently and then getting knocked out of finals by them. Weightman being almost infuriating enough to make Stringer proud.

A couple of years ago a lot of us sort of considered the dogs as a little brother in the north west of Melbourne and wanted them to do well, but the way that some behave on the forum has turned it into more of a rivalry? I guess.

Also winning a flag recently and not being a long suffering bunch that hardly remember their last flag has made some of them more floggish than they used to be.

It’s not the club itself or the supporters generally, mostly just BigFooty I think. I think I only know one dogs fan irl 😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think both teams are evenly matched. Both teams have decent midfields and have effective forward lines and defence lines.

The problem that the Dogs have is that even though they have English and Martin as the ruckmen, neither are as good enough on match day as the Melbourne duo of Luke Jackson and Max Gawn.

Gawn's preliminary final performance was nothing short of the best performance in the ruck in a final in many years. And I can't see how English or Martin can stop Max at his best. And that will be the difference on grand final day. If Gawn gets on top, Melbourne will win.

1. They knocked us out

Nah I’m sticking with the stereotype. Haven’t seen a Dogs supporter with a cheese board at the footy as yet. Regardless in general is what I meant.

As for the hate for recent loss…let’s get over it. I didn’t see Weightman do much wrong tbh other than enjoy his goals.

They have. The game style of borderline cheating by throwing or dropping the ball constantly in the contest and getting away with it, plus the umpire assistance in the first 2 finals is the reason i think they dont deserve it.
Umps did not impact our result..would have lost anyway. Lions had a few dubious decisions go their way. They didn’t cheat their way to top 2 either.

Umps did not impact our result..would have lost anyway. Lions had a few dubious decisions go their way. They didn’t cheat their way to top 2 either.
The umpires did impact our result. Weightmans 4 goals from free kicks were all contentious. Lions were reamed in the 2nd half as well. I dont like the dogs game style. I didn't say they cheated their way to top 2. They finished 5th anyway. I said their game style of throwing/dropping the ball in the contest and playing for free kicks is borderline cheating. They consistently play within grey areas of the rules and they get away with it. The umpires have a lot to answer for as well.

1. They knocked us out

Was there a consensus on parma or parmi? I can't remember...

I think both teams are evenly matched. Both teams have decent midfields and have effective forward lines and defence lines.

The problem that the Dogs have is that even though they have English and Martin as the ruckmen, neither are as good enough on match day as the Melbourne duo of Luke Jackson and Max Gawn.

Gawn's preliminary final performance was nothing short of the best performance in the ruck in a final in many years. And I can't see how English or Martin can stop Max at his best. And that will be the difference on grand final day. If Gawn gets on top, Melbourne will win.
Yep. I’d go as far as saying that prelim from Gawn was one of the best individual performances I’ve seen from a player period.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back