Great images in cricket.

Remove this Banner Ad

Some of the names are of course well known.....but what happened to the rest?

Obviously if you make a state under 19 / under 17 side you have great ability. However more often than not, some of the guys that played with those that went on to 1st class / test cricket faded into obscurity.

Often wondered how their cricket careers turned out.

View attachment 1988702

Back Row – Jack Wilson (Manager), Justin Kenny, Jason Horn, Steve Liggins, Richard Stobo, Gavin Robertson, Stephen Funnell, Glenn Tobin, Ted Cotton (Coach)

Front Row – Mark Patterson, Mark Taylor, Steve Waugh, Mark England (Captain), Brad McNamara, David Moore, Mark Waugh
I can recall Kenny, Horn & Patterson being more than decent grade players in Sydney.

Think Stobo played FC and Buzzard definitely did.

Waugh, Waugh, Taylor & Robertson we all know. Better than average result from a squad.

No helmets. The old pads with the buckles......bats as heavy as f*****.

Great days!!!
Not sure about the bats being heavy - definitely pressed harder but haven’t come across too many real heavy ones - picked up quite a lot of international players bats in my days and the thing that stood out was how light they were

Not sure about the bats being heavy - definitely pressed harder but haven’t come across too many real heavy ones - picked up quite a lot of international players bats in my days and the thing that stood out was how light they were
I guess I meant that in relation to the bats these days, they were relatively heavy.

I used GM Maestro that I bought in the 1980's for about 12 years (was the best bat I ever had). Once it was passed its use by date, bought a new GM and couldn't believe the difference in weight.

I guess I meant that in relation to the bats these days, they were relatively heavy.

I used GM Maestro that I bought in the 1980's for about 12 years (was the best bat I ever had). Once it was passed its use by date, bought a new GM and couldn't believe the difference in weight.
Clearly you are a man of fine taste as from 1990 thru until about 2010 I had nothing but GM’s (Maestro, Autograph Original, Purist and Purist II) - I remember picking up Jonty Rhodes bat one day and it would have flat out 2lb 4oz but he reckoned he just needed quick hands. I still have my Purist from 20 years ago - it’s in mint condition given it’s use but when you compare it to todays models it’s like chalk and cheese - but it made a lot of runs

No bats are heavier these days and the last 15 years or so. Maybe closer to 20 now. Since they started using softer wood and pressing them less. A 2'8" was considered on the heavy side in the 90's and if you were using a 2'12' + you got ribbed. "Who do you think you are; Clive Lloyd?"

The modern bats pick up lighter, due to being larger and less dense, but are heavier overall.

Clearly you are a man of fine taste as from 1990 thru until about 2010 I had nothing but GM’s (Maestro, Autograph Original, Purist and Purist II) - I remember picking up Jonty Rhodes bat one day and it would have flat out 2lb 4oz but he reckoned he just needed quick hands. I still have my Purist from 20 years ago - it’s in mint condition given it’s use but when you compare it to todays models it’s like chalk and cheese - but it made a lot of runs
Agree. The Maestro I had was far superior to anything else I tried including Gray Nicholls bats.

Like you, I still have the Maestro. I pick it every now and again & reminisce!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back