N.Lappin Scarlett McLeod
Matera Voss Kemp
Hird Carey Franklin
D.Jarmen Lloyd Akermanis
Cox Judd ; G.Ablett Jnr
Goodes, Swan, Bartel, Riccuito

diesel had 3 good years....

bartel buys and sells buckley

Wrong and wrong. Diesel had more than 3 good years. Buckley was a superior footballer to Bartel.

From another planet.

I'm about to head out for the night, but knocked up a quick team. Might review after tomorrow's match.

Scarlett - Silvagni - McKay
McKenna - Jakovich - McLeod
Matera - Williams - Cousins
Franklin - Carey - Hird
Akermanis - Lockett - Ablett Snr
Cox - Judd - Ablett Jnr
Goodes - Riccuito - Voss - Swan

Unlucky - Black, N.Lappin, Clement, Bradley, Dunstall, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Tredders, Milne, Kouta & more

Wrong and wrong. Diesel had more than 3 good years. Buckley was a superior footballer to Bartel.

From another planet.

I'm about to head out for the night, but knocked up a quick team. Might review after tomorrow's match.

Franklin - Carey - Hird
Cox - Judd - Ablett Jnr

Unlucky - Black, N.Lappin, Clement, Bradley, Dunstall, Lloyd, Riewoldt, Tredders, Milne, Kouta & more

not wrong, just a differing opinion. Just in this case yours is wrong.

There is no bigger fan of diesel than myself. He was ok in 92, brilliant in 93 / 94 / 95. Ok in 96 and suspension riddled in 97.

Besides our teams are not that much different.

From another planet.

Franklin - Carey - Hird
Cox - Judd - Ablett Jnr

Williams two absolute stand out years from 1990 onwards aren't really enough to get him in the side imo, if it was inclusive of the 80's then he'd just about first picked. McKay was a bloody good player, but he falls short of Wanganeen and Enright.

Overall though team is very similar, majority of players pick themselves.

FB: Scarlett - Silvagni - Wanganeen
HB: Enright - Jakovich - McLeod
C: Matera - Voss - Cousins
HF: Riccuito - Carey - Hird
FF: Akermanis - Lockett - Ablett Snr
R: Cox - Judd - Ablett Jnr
INT: Goodes - Buckley - Black - R.Harvey

Besides our teams are not that much different.

Backline is the biggest difference, where we share only Scarlett and Silvagni. Then Cousins, Lockett, Ablett Snr & Williams. So 8 players, about 35%, difference in team selection. You'd expect most teams would share a core of the same players. As Donna said, some guys pick themselves.

EDIT: Oh and I'd find a place in there for Buckley too, so that would be 9 different. Probably Roo or Swan would make way for him. I'd say Roo.

Williams two absolute stand out years from 1990 onwards aren't really enough to get him in the side imo, if it was inclusive of the 80's then he'd just about first picked. McKay was a bloody good player, but he falls short of Wanganeen and Enright.

I approach this differently I guess, which is why I include Ablett Snr and Lockett as well. I'm just going on the very best players who played some of the very best football I've witnessed since 1990. The football Diesel delivered during, not over, this time period is unmatched by most of the other mids in my team, so I'm not gonna leave him out for quids.

Fair enough on Enright and Wangas, both would be worthy selections, but IMO McKay is one guy vastly underrated today. Four time All Australian HB and would potentially have had more if not for starting AFL at 23yo and taking his studies so seriously along the way. Better defender than both these blokes IMO and rightly takes a spot ahead of them in my team. If forced, I'd knock McKenna out for Enright. In fact, that might be a worthwhile change to make.

I approach this differently I guess, which is why I include Ablett Snr and Lockett as well. I'm just going on the very best players who played some of the very best football I've witnessed since 1990. The football Diesel delivered during, not over, this time period is unmatched by most of the other mids in my team, so I'm not gonna leave him out for quids.

Fair enough on Enright and Wangas, both would be worthy selections, but IMO McKay is one guy vastly underrated today. Four time All Australian HB and would potentially have had more if not for starting AFL at 23yo and taking his studies so seriously along the way. Better defender than both these blokes IMO and rightly takes a spot ahead of them in my team. If forced, I'd knock McKenna out for Enright. In fact, that might be a worthwhile change to make.

tbh i forgot abt enright.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

too true, but who drops out ??

Bartel.

Put Robert Harvey circa 1997 in the Geelong team of the last 10 years and see what happens. The only time in his prime that St Kilda were genuinely competitive Harvey was a back to back Brownlow Medallist. Also in the one Grand Final he played in he got 36 touches 23 kicks and a goal, would've been the Norm Smith if St Kilda got up that day.

Worsfold Scarlett McKay
McKenna Neitz Enright
Pe. Matera Williams Cousins
Ablett Snr Carey Akermanis
Daicos Dunstall D.Jarman

Cox Judd Ablett Jnr

Sandilands, Voss, Ricciuto, Buckley

Not bad from the OP only changes

Out: Swan, Silvangi
In: Cousins, Jakovich (CHB) - move Scarlett to FB

Emer: N. Reiwodlt, Black, Crawford
can not agree on silvagni but we are all entitled to our opinions

Wanganeen Silvagni Archer
N.Lappin Scarlett McLeod
Matera Voss Kemp
Hird Carey Franklin
D.Jarmen Lloyd Akermanis
Cox Judd ; G.Ablett Jnr
Goodes, Swan, Bartel, Riccuito

Lloyd is the odd man out - how does he gets in before Lockett and Dunstall??

Lloyd kicked the ton twice - kicking 109 and 105.
Dunstall kicked the ton 4 times - kicking 145, 123, 101 and 102.
Lockett kicked the ton 5 time - kicking 127, 132, 110 ,121 and 109.

Lloyd is so far off these two it is not funny. Both were also kicking tons in the 80's and for this exercise are not counted.

Lloyd is the odd man out - how does he gets in before Lockett and Dunstall??

Lloyd kicked the ton twice - kicking 109 and 105.
Dunstall kicked the ton 4 times - kicking 145, 123, 101 and 102.
Lockett kicked the ton 5 time - kicking 127, 132, 110 ,121 and 109.

Lloyd is so far off these two it is not funny. Both were also kicking tons in the 80's and for this exercise are not counted.

agree, lockett and dunstall overall were better than lloyd

however 1990 onwards (AFL) Lloyd kicked all his 926 goals.

agree, lockett and dunstall overall were better than lloyd

however 1990 onwards (AFL) Lloyd kicked all his 926 goals.
Dunstall kicked 871 goals in 9 AFL years. Lloyd kicked 926 in 15 years. He is not in the same league. Lloyd should not be considered for the full forward spot. Miles off the best.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back