World Cup Greek Football Thread

I'm was so glad to see Mitro running around this morning after his knee injury. Hopefully we get a few more matches in him before the WC.
PAME RE PISTOLERO! :thumbsu:

Thats irrelevant crows united the czech republic-serbia- and im sure im missing another nation have a better pedigree in international football im just saying i would have preferred to see them at the wc

Worst thing about Greece/Italy doing well in these tournies is the bandwagoners that jump on board and riot as if the games mean more to them then their very own existence.

I did read a theory once that 3rd generation 'immigrants' can feel more affection for their ancestral home country than their 2nd generation parents because their connection to it is further removed so it's more rosey.

(1st generation being the ones who moved as adults)

Yet all 4 have inferior national teams to Greece. You're just a typical EPL fanboy that doesn't see Greeks playing in England, Spain, Italy etc and thinks they're a rubbish side. While you see countries like Serbia and Croatia etc with star players in top leagues and wonder why they fail. There's more to international football than just star footballers

Barry im Australian nations that i mentioned especially the czechs and serbs should be there rather then greece they have individual players worth watching

hahahaha brilliant. prince st was spot on. you clearly know nothing about international football.

Couldn't get a game in a relegated club.

#WorldClass
He was injured from December. It was Fulham's fault for signing an injured player just because they were desperate to stay in the EPL.
He's now fully fit but Fulham didn't play him on the final matchday because they were already gone and didn't feel the need to play a player who they will get rid of at the next transfer window.

Czechs,Ukraine,Serbia,Montenegro have more talented players then greece
talented players mean jack s**t. It's about the TEAM. You got nfi. Serbia? pffft look where they've finished the last 2 qualifications. Greece are there because they deserved to be. Made the quarters last euro which was a good achievement

talented players mean jack s**t. It's about the TEAM. You got nfi. Serbia? pffft look where they've finished the last 2 qualifications. Greece are there because they deserved to be. Made the quarters last euro which was a good achievement

Wes Tiger Serbia,Czech republic etc even croatia are far superior footballing nations then greece and no simba i am not a epl fanatic i love european football all round. greece havnt produced 2 notable footballers in years of playing the sport the balkan fellas have produced many as far as i know and the czechs are a proud nation themselves you felles have to stop with this pro greek thing your aussies.

I am both a Greek and an Australian citizen mate and I love both my countries. You have not enough knowledge on football to know whether or not Greece has produced notable players. Throughout the 60's and 70's while the Greek military junta was in power, the world class player's Greece produced never played abroad despite the interest from clubs. Panathinaikos made a European Cup Final in 1971 with an all Greek team against that famous Ajax side. In 1984 two Greeks, Thomas Mavros and Vassilis Hatzipanagis were part of the World XI side that played an exhibition game in New York. Theodoros Zagorakis was the player of the tournament in our greatest ever achievement in Euro 2004. Hell, we won the god damn Euro, were the players we had not notable enough for you? If you're looking for someone currently playing, Dortmund's Sokratis Papastathopoulos was the Bundesliga's defender of the year. To say we haven't produced 2 notable players is ignorant.

Worst thing about Greece/Italy doing well in these tournies is the bandwagoners that jump on board and riot as if the games mean more to them then their very own existence.

As opposed to the bandwagoners who jumped on when Australia made a World Cup for the first time in decades?
Where are they now? Can they name half the current squad? No? Bandwagoners, line them up in front of a firing squad!!

What constitutes a riot?
Happy, passionate, some drunk, people supporting their national sporting teams inside/outside pubs/bars, spilling onto the streets to celebrate a win?
And mind you, it's not just Italians and Greeks, but Anglo-Australians as well.

Or what you see happening overseas due to political turmoil, in say Greece, Turkey, Spain, etc?

Maybe you should look up videos of Australian fans in Germany for the World Cup. What's so different to the Italian and Greeks here celebrating when their team does well?

Geez, it's like Adelaide Crows supporters who expect opposition fans at games to sit their quietly.

as far as i know thats not true didnt a club from that region win the champions league in the 90's

So now we are comparing club competitions to national titles?

Let's compare national titles. Since you know, this is about national teams. Comparing national teams to clubs is ridiculous given the nature of most European league clubs these days which consist of many foreign players. So to compare clubs, made up of many foreign players, to the national teams in the country where those clubs are is pure stupidity.

Greece Euro 1, WC 0
Serbia Euro 0, WC 0
Croatia Euro 0, WC 0
Czech Rep. Euro 0, EC 0

*Czechoslovakia Euro 1, WC 0 - Czech Republic did not exist in 1976.
*Yugoslavia Euro 0, WC 0

I am both a Greek and an Australian citizen mate and I love both my countries. You have not enough knowledge on football to know whether or not Greece has produced notable players. Throughout the 60's and 70's while the Greek military junta was in power, the world class player's Greece produced never played abroad despite the interest from clubs. Panathinaikos made a European Cup Final in 1971 with an all Greek team against that famous Ajax side. In 1984 two Greeks, Thomas Mavros and Vassilis Hatzipanagis were part of the World XI side that played an exhibition game in New York. Theodoros Zagorakis was the player of the tournament in our greatest ever achievement in Euro 2004. Hell, we won the god damn Euro, were the players we had not notable enough for you? If you're looking for someone currently playing, Dortmund's Sokratis Papastathopoulos was the Bundesliga's defender of the year. To say we haven't produced 2 notable players is ignorant.

The bold part really is the sad part of the Greek NT not making the 1970's WC! If they made it then I really believe we could have done really well. Unfortunately we fell short of qualification by 1 point! Even the team in the mid 70s drew twice to the the unstoppable West Germany in Euro 76 qualification! Even though I wasn't old enough to understand, I believe the 1998 Greek team was the most talented! It's a shame they never made the World Cup 98! They could have pulled of what Croatia did in 98. We need a win in our final match at OAKA to qualify for WC 98 but drew 0-0, but we have a lot of chances to score! So the fact is the Greek NT has been good in Patches in our history but not enough to receive global attention!

don't think we're a chance of progressing tbh, but it wouldn't at all surprise me, as we're just flat out hard to score against. The problem as it always is will be finding a couple of goals.

The thing that makes me hopeful is that the IC and Japan aren't exactly noted for their defence, nor Colombia for that matter, so we could well jag a couple of lucky ones then just park the bus and hope.

Karnezis will need to absolutely boss it like he did in qualifying, as will Karagounis

Very disappointing this morning
They probably didnt deserve a result given their lack of creativity upfront BUT they definitely weren't 3-0 bad. 2-1 was probably a more accurate reflection if ******* Gekas hadn't missed that dolly of a header. That's at least 2 crucial sitters he's missed in internationals.

They probably didnt deserve a result given their lack of creativity upfront BUT they definitely weren't 3-0 bad. 2-1 was probably a more accurate reflection if ******* Gekas hadn't missed that dolly of a header. That's at least 2 crucial sitters he's missed in internationals.

Totally agree. 3-0 scoreline didn't tell the real story. More possession, same amount of shots on goal and on target. Greece played okay, just couldn't hit the right passes in the final 3rd of the pitch... once we got over the shaky period we actually started to play some decent football. That shot from Kone right before half time would have been the game-changer if it went in. Oh and Gekas needs to just bloody retire, did nothing all match, and when he had the whole goal open to him he hits the bar. As do all the old guard if I'm honest; we need more players like Fetfatzidis coming through with some speed and creativity. Even though he's a legend, it's no point in playing guys like Karagounis anymore.

It takes us to concede the softest of goals to actually start playing football which isn't that easy when you have guys like Katsouranis, Maniatis and Holebas starting. The only play willing to create anything in that starting XI was Kone, who was dragged. Fernando Santos is holding our side back, there are a handful of players on the bench, some of whom won't get any game time this tournament, who I believe are in our best XI. Changes should be made for Japan, god knows whether he'll make the correct changes.

It takes us to concede the softest of goals to actually start playing football which isn't that easy when you have guys like Katsouranis, Maniatis and Holebas starting. The only play willing to create anything in that starting XI was Kone, who was dragged. Fernando Santos is holding our side back, there are a handful of players on the bench, some of whom won't get any game time this tournament, who I believe are in our best XI. Changes should be made for Japan, god knows whether he'll make the correct changes.

Seriously, what's with Holebas? I've seen thew guy play like a demon in the Greek League, but as soon as he puts on the national shirt he completely loses it. I don't get it. I think the whole mentality of the Greek national team football has to change.

Seriously, what's with Holebas? I've seen thew guy play like a demon in the Greek League, but as soon as he puts on the national shirt he completely loses it. I don't get it. I think the whole mentality of the Greek national team football has to change.

Holebas does some brilliant/flashy things every now and again but his positioning as a defender makes me nauseous.
Spot on about the mentality. The game was crying out for Fetfa and Mitroglou to be on the pitch but they're just not programmed to play in an attacking fashion.
As I see it, due to an already s**t GD of -3 they just have to throw caution to the wind cause the only way they'll get through is 2 wins. Soooo, OUTS: Katsouranis, Holebas, Gekas, Salpingidis INS: Mitroglou, Fetfa, Christodoulopoulos and one of Tzavelas/Moras. Subs that get a run Tachtsidis and Samaris.
But something tells me it'll be more of the same old :mad:
The head coach appointment after Santos finishes up is gonna be very crucial for many years going forward imo.

Back