GST revisited - Who will be the winners (and more important, the losers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Why do Queensland get back more than they put in?

I mean I get SA because they have occasionally build shitty submarines and have some grapes but Queensland?

Believe it's down to population distribution - the fact they've got numerous regional centres of 100,000+ (Toowoomba, Cairns, Townsville) helps their calculation.

A gang of WA’s most powerful and influential business leaders will jet to Canberra to demand Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull finally fixes the State’s GST rip-off.

The GST rescue mission will be spearheaded by Wesfarmers and Woodside chairman Michael Chaney, mining billionaire Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, property mogul Nigel Satterley and investment banker John Poynton.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/powerful-gang-of-four-to-tackle-pm-on-gst-ng-b88441127z

A gang of WA’s most powerful and influential business leaders will jet to Canberra to demand Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull finally fixes the State’s GST rip-off.

The GST rescue mission will be spearheaded by Wesfarmers and Woodside chairman Michael Chaney, mining billionaire Andrew “Twiggy” Forrest, property mogul Nigel Satterley and investment banker John Poynton.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/powerful-gang-of-four-to-tackle-pm-on-gst-ng-b88441127z

Maybe they can run an anti govt TV ad campaign like the Gillard years

Personally I don't mind helping the poorer states as long as they try and help themselves.

The GST sharing calc should include the GST a state would have collected if not for shutting down industry, preventing mining and the full cost of black outs. States retain the right to do any of the above but others shouldn't have to pay for their lifestyle choices.

Wew

Looking forward to the pork barrelling come federal election time

Pork barrelling in WA
OR
where the beneficiaries of the current carve up are ? Do nothing is pork barrelling?

Will Australia vote for whats best or whats best for the hip pocket? Hip pocket IMHO.

Pork barrelling in WA
OR
where the beneficiaries of the current carve up are ? Do nothing is pork barrelling?

Will Australia vote for whats best or whats best for the hip pocket? Hip pocket IMHO.

all aboard, next pork barrelling stop Western Sydney then express to Adelaide!

Would be nice if their corporations paid their fair share of tax since they are going to be lecturing others.

Would be nice if their corporations paid their fair share of tax since they are going to be lecturing others.

So Jack do you pay your fair share of tax, I'd bet you pay what the law requires, just as most Corporations do - minimising tax is legal, its evasion that's a problem. That the political class muddy the waters to confuse the issue for pure political advantage demonstrates the dismal talent that fill our parliaments across the country - shame Kerry Packer is not about to pull our politicians into line ...

That the Feds of both political persuasions cant draft reasonable tax legislation frustrates me, and the same groups kick up a storm in Opposition and then are dead useless in Government.

And that aint fake news to anyone outside the political class.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know Wesfarmers pays a ton of tax, not sure the others though.
The average tax paid by Wesfarmers between 2004-13 was $508 million a year, on average pre-tax profits of $1.9 billion.

So Jack do you pay your fair share of tax, I'd bet you pay what the law requires, just as most Corporations do - minimising tax is legal, its evasion that's a problem. That the political class muddy the waters to confuse the issue for pure political advantage demonstrates the dismal talent that fill our parliaments across the country - shame Kerry Packer is not about to pull our politicians into line ...

That the Feds of both political persuasions cant draft reasonable tax legislation frustrates me, and the same groups kick up a storm in Opposition and then are dead useless in Government.

And that aint fake news to anyone outside the political class.
I do pay my fair share of tax and don't pay thousands or millions in dollars to reduce it. Nor do I move my salary offshore to avoid paying tax. That's just me though.

Don't get me wrong, the GST situation is a debacle, but most of those clowns engage in the kind of intense tax minimisation that makes it possible to avoid paying a fair and reasonable amount. Them lecturing anyone about tax equality is laughable.,

https://thewest.com.au/politics/fed...eined-in-by-treasurer-ben-wyatt-ng-b88441907z

The West Australian can reveal that a quirk in the way the Commonwealth Grants Commission allocates the GST means if the State Government manages to bring public sector wages into line with the private sector, WA will end up with even less cash.

So for those playing a long at home, the current system penalises wage restraint, smaller remote communities and developing mining, while rewarding pokies, massive public service spending and putting the handbrake on primary industry.

Federation going swimmingly.

I do pay my fair share of tax and don't pay thousands or millions in dollars to reduce it. Nor do I move my salary offshore to avoid paying tax. That's just me though.

Don't get me wrong, the GST situation is a debacle, but most of those clowns engage in the kind of intense tax minimisation that makes it possible to avoid paying a fair and reasonable amount. Them lecturing anyone about tax equality is laughable.,

Not surprised you pay your fair share Jack, most of us do pay what is legislated.

That the Feds continue to fail with appropriate legislation is the problem - a smart bloke like Mark Dreyfus would do more for Australia if he turned his mind to a decent Tax Act than playing politics, and playing is key word. I'm sure there are others playing the same game that would do more for their country if they were fair dinkum.
As I said Kerry Packer aced it & who knows, these guys might achieve the same reality check to the flotsam & jetsam that are in power today, who need help not a lecture.

Not surprised you pay your fair share Jack, most of us do pay what is legislated.

That the Feds continue to fail with appropriate legislation is the problem - a smart bloke like Mark Dreyfus would do more for Australia if he turned his mind to a decent Tax Act than playing politics, and playing is key word. I'm sure there are others playing the same game that would do more for their country if they were fair dinkum.
As I said Kerry Packer aced it & who knows, these guys might achieve the same reality check to the flotsam & jetsam that are in power today, who need help not a lecture.
What a load of spin. Jack points out he pays his fair share and you twist it back to condoning paying the least you can get away with. Rich people using accountancy to 'minimise' taxes is sh*t and should be stopped.

There will always be some excuse people will reach for to self-justify their tax minimisation. While saying that 'the debt' is the biggest issue, the same people will spend thousands to save thousands in tax. It all adds up and then you get people thinking a vote for d*ckheads or far right/left groups are the answer because the rich get richer. Nup. If people paid their taxes as the legislation initially intended, we'd have the fairer society the vast majority claims to want.

There is bugger all trickle down. Rich people spend their extra $ on electronic cork removers, and then have to search for fancier wines which still have corks.

What a load of spin. Jack points out he pays his fair share and you twist it back to condoning paying the least you can get away with. Rich people using accountancy to 'minimise' taxes is sh*t and should be stopped.

There will always be some excuse people will reach for to self-justify their tax minimisation. While saying that 'the debt' is the biggest issue, the same people will spend thousands to save thousands in tax. It all adds up and then you get people thinking a vote for d*ckheads or far right/left groups are the answer because the rich get richer. Nup. If people paid their taxes as the legislation initially intended, we'd have the fairer society the vast majority claims to want.

There is bugger all trickle down. Rich people spend their extra $ on electronic cork removers, and then have to search for fancier wines which still have corks.

:thumbsu:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-21/chevron-faces-massive-tax-bill-after-ato-court-victory/8460874

When a Tax Act is a legal minefield its the legislators who are at fault 100% - WHY is such a 3rd rate outcome accepted by voters, probably because so many are 'rusted on', accept what their party pumps out as gospel.
The Chevron case is an example of how bad the loopholes are, its costing the country money & the legislators are to blame - get rid of the duds next time you vote?

Last edited:
Why do Queensland get back more than they put in?

I mean I get SA because they have occasionally build shitty submarines and have some grapes but Queensland?

Interesting contrast Q & WA
Q
http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...r/news-story/eb3f91251bcabee8fa635c2eb5626c05

GIVEN the Palaszczuk Government’s penchant for celebrating mediocrity, we can’t rule out Treasurer Curtis Pitt today responding to the latest CommSec State of the States report by celebrating the fact that

Queensland’s economy is ranked higher than the Northern Territory’s.

Sadly, the report merely adds to the plethora of data and analysis that shows Queensland remains an economic laggard. In terms of a national comparison, we have become a second-string economy.

And worse, perhaps, is that the report again confirms Queensland – once the powerhouse of the nation’s economy

WA
https://thewest.com.au/opinion/paltry-gst-share-fires-up-secession-fervour-ng-b88450678z

This month we mark the anniversary of WA’s secession referendum — that great ballot where secessionists asked electors to “Stand Up for WA” and vote on whether they were in favour of WA withdrawing from the Federal Commonwealth.

It’s worth reminding ourselves of the groundswell of support at the time for WA’s secession movement.

In what was a compulsory vote of 237,198 electors, an overwhelming 138,653 voted “yes” and just 70,706 voted “no”.

Although the decision to withdraw from the Federation was ultimately rejected by the British Parliament, 84 years later the same fervour for secession remains for many West Australians when considering the attention, or too often lack of, their issues get from the Melbourne-Canberra-Sydney axis that dominates our national political and financial affairs.

No more so than when it comes to WA’s paltry share of GST payments.

Last edited:
WA succeeds in getting a review of the GST distribution & the Institute of Company Directors freeloads on that work wanting a wider scope for the review - poor form Ms Proust, WA have a real problem, its not the time to run a philosophical review that would go on forever.

https://thewest.com.au/business/economics/aicd-wants-broader-gst-review-ng-b88461573z

The usual from Qld:
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk called on the Turnbull Government to rule out cutting the state's share of GST revenue.

"I'm extremely worried … Western Australia would end up getting more of the GST pool, as opposed to Queensland. I'm not going to have that happen," she said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-...y-ordered-by-treasurer-scott-morrison/8483752

The usual from Qld:
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk called on the Turnbull Government to rule out cutting the state's share of GST revenue.
And "the usual" from WA is that they want more. To the extent that everyone knows that's WA's "usual". I don't think many know the "usual" for other states.

Don't be fooled by this review. WA will get a higher return no matter what. The calculation runs on a lag and so the small amount WA has been getting is due to the big revenues it got in the mining boom. Now that is tailing off, GST will go back up. A review will buy some time until that is happening anyway.

The 'usual' is that every Premier tries to get the best deal for their state. There's nothing strange about what Queensland is doing, if the roles were reversed, WA would be doing to same to protect its share. There's no doubt WA has been struggling for a while, there is no doubt the calculations need some work (the treatment of pokie revenue should be first on the list) but to expect every other state to roll over is quite naive.

I am so glad that this guy was voted in. Good on him for standing up to the east over the GST.

https://thewest.com.au/news/wa/mcgowans-east-coast-ultimatum-no-gst-fix-no-wa-gas-ng-b88456775z
Was listening to 6PR and talk back caller suggested this the day before McGowan announced lol. This isn't a lib/labor issue this is fed/state issue, both sides have been slow to not at least set a floor price. Guarantee if NSW was at 33 cents there would already be a floor.

The GST is taking the piss at its current redistribution method.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/opi...e/news-story/69bd0ec97be91dbf5c9aa8339f2f6850

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back