List Mgmt. GWS Players Contract Status

Remove this Banner Ad

Is that right we still have at least 13 guys whose contracts expire at end of this year? Ol mate Jason has a bit of work in front of him doesn’t he???
A few of those in the veteran class, so will likely wait until the end of the season to see how they're going, and how the other signings are. Davis, Ward, Keeffe, de Boer and possibly Kennedy in that category. A couple are "wait & see" prospects - Hogan & Brander spring to mind. Happy to extend the former, not the latter. Then there's the real ones we either want or are waiting to know their decision - Tim Taranto, Tanner Bruhn, Keiran Briggs & XOH primarily. Bobby Hill probably fits in that last group, but his illness makes that a bit of a "what happens, happens" case. Cam Fleeton in a case by himself - where's he at, do we want to extend him?

Then of course the rookie list - I am expecting that to be culled a little at season's end.

At that point he had done nothing special in the twos and hadn’t played a game in the ones. Strange decision imo.

Angwin must have done something to you in a former life?

Time will tell on him and he may be delisted at the end of his current contract but with not seeing what happens at training sessions and also his role in the games at reserves level he has played and if he is doing what the coaches ask of him he obviously deserved the extension and I would guess it is basic + match incentives with his upside what the coaches are after
December birthday and very light still but I would expect him to look to increase size this off season but not at the expense of his speed and endurance

Angwin must have done something to you in a former life?

Time will tell on him and he may be delisted at the end of his current contract but with not seeing what happens at training sessions and also his role in the games at reserves level he has played and if he is doing what the coaches ask of him he obviously deserved the extension and I would guess it is basic + match incentives with his upside what the coaches are after
December birthday and very light still but I would expect him to look to increase size this off season but not at the expense of his speed and endurance
What? What I said was factually correct.

What? What I said was factually correct.

Players take time to develop and this contract gives Angwin a chance to fully develop and not worry until he has grown to be more AFL ready
And it will be a very cheap contract and the club must have seen a lot in him to take him at #18 and 4 years for hin to be AFL ready
Flynn had 5 or 6 years on the list before debut and yes a ruckman that takes time to develop but skinny outside player with a December birthday will also take time to develop
Time will tell how it ends up and I may be wrong but hope not for Angwin sake and the clubs investment in him

Peatling and Fahey make sense but Fleeton seems a bit of a weird move thought that's a list spot they could've explored in the trade period and if nothings out there just re-sign him then

Peatling and Fahey make sense but Fleeton seems a bit of a weird move thought that's a list spot they could've explored in the trade period and if nothings out there just re-sign him then
He is a young key position player, if you are going to draft them, you need to take the time to see if they are up to it. A third season seems reasonable.

The news about Hopper potentially leaving as a pre-agent is concerning.

Personally ok with Taranto going as I think he’s a bit overrated but Hopper would be a big loss and if we are struggling to retain both we can only conclude our cap has been badly bungled.

If we lose both these guys and knowing we are short a key forward and small forward we are basically in a full not partial rebuild.

It’s only a year, which is interesting. he’s been here for 2, another makes a third. 3 years playing the magoos will be long enough if he wants to look elsewhere. it also gives him another year, with a new coach, to break into the seniors. get a handful of games under his belt and he still has the options to leave or re-sign if he gets the taste.

from what i’ve seen of his play in the vfl, he looks like a long term replacement for haynes - can lock down if needed but reads the play well enough to peal off and intercept. Cumming hung around because he knew heater was going to retire and give him the chance - maybe that’s what fleetin and the club sees here - no Davis, no Keefe in the next year or so and haynes with only a handful more. there is going to be opportunity in the backline.

one year is a smart move by both Fleeton and the club - gives both time and options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given (my perception) on McVeigh’a view on Cooper Hamilton, and he’s out of contract this year, will be interesting to see where that lands.

Given (my perception) on McVeigh’a view on Cooper Hamilton, and he’s out of contract this year, will be interesting to see where that lands.
Well that was incredibly timely!

Sproule, Lloyd & Stein not yet having contracts may be in the sights of the club to delist & re-draft through the rookie draft ... giving us maximum use of available draft picks in the national draft.

Stein hits the end of his 3 years on the list (last drafted in 2019) so he has to be delisted anyway, while Sproule & Lloyd are only at the 2 year mark. All are expendable, although they all provide low cost 'bottom of list' value.

Agree with those last two comments, I'm just noting that we often delist 1 or 2 players who we consider low-risk of getting snatched by another club, to be able to take maximum picks to the draft - either for matching bids on academy kids or maximum opportunity to trade multiple later picks for an early pick. When I say "expendable", they're not game winners really (let's be honest), so the club is more likely to take a chance on delisting them as opposed to others.

I think we have to delist Stein (unless we promote him to the main list), but I'm just saying I wouldn't put it past us to delist a second of those 3. Lloyd would be the last I'd do it to - we're short of small/medium forwards.

It's a comment pointing to the fact that those 3 haven't yet signed new contracts.

Official now. Great stuff - it's a nice redemption story, and shows the one thing that we have going for us: a quiet life, if you don't actually crave all the hype around the game and sports stardom. Hopefully it's onwards and upwards for Jesse and the Giants.

Yeah, this one is a good one - and one I really think Hogan deserves, particularly after the second half of this season.

Getting his head and his body right, and seeing him get a bit of confidence again has been one of the only really positive parts of this season.

Keiran Briggs signs for another 2 years - many of us thought he was gone! Perhaps finally we get some value from a home-grown player?

Exciting young ruckman Kieren Briggs will remain in the orange and charcoal until the end of 2024 after signing a new two-year deal.

Briggs said he was excited to commit to the GIANTS and play in his home state. “I’ve loved my time at the GIANTS so far and I’m really excited to continue at the club for at least another two years,” Briggs said. “Western Sydney is home for me, and we have a great group of players at the club. I’m looking forward to continuing my development and stringing a few more senior games together in 2023."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back