VFL GWS VFL 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

when the going was hot in the last i liked the eork of O Halloran. Haynes must be due for a recall and Gruzewski? last goal was a cracker.

Rowston was busy, he was always involved snd built through the game across the 4 quarters. Stone was good w 3 majors, he is very consistent and was solid last night Angwin more quite than last few weeks and Fahey was a little down as well compared to usual. It was s funny gane as we looked like we were outplayed at times but kept hanging around. .Madden was solid as well and worked hard, his body work is getting better every game and I thought he was getting stiffed in a few contests where the Swans ruck was playing him more than the ball.

what is the consensus on Derken … to me he looks like he issue emerging as a solid backman , I never hear much about him though.

what is the consensus on Derken … to me he looks like he is emerging as a solid backman, I never hear much about him though.
Bit of an unusual case IMHO. Was picked up as a mid-season draftee - which isn't particularly usual for GWS (just he & Peatling over the years from memory) - as a forward who could be a utility (i.e. could also go down back, and ruck). Even when our forward line wasn't working last year, Cadman had an extended run and Keeffe was used when I thought he deserved an opportunity to see what he could contribute, but nada from the selection committee. Then we've tried him down back this year, which I don't mind because Aleer and Haynes are more interceptor style IMHO and Derksen could be a stronger-bodied defender.

You wonder if he's a candidate to be delisted given that he hasn't got a look in yet, but as a cheap back up in both forward and back halves (the latter seemingly more important now that Cadman is going better in AFL & Gruzewski is going well in VFL) there would be worse players we could have.

If we look at someone like Jack Buckley as a comparison, there was an element of WTF? with his drafting; then he hung around for a few years with little opportunity, was tried as a KPF, was injured; but now is a core member of the team. SO there's still a chance for Wade IMHO.

Definitely very much under the radar though; rarely gets much said about him.

what is the consensus on Derken … to me he looks like he issue emerging as a solid backman , I never hear much about him though.
Bit of talk about him last year. I think a few were calling for him to get a game.
Everyone seems to be positive about him without much hype.
Lots of competition for spots at the moment.

Bit of talk about him last year. I think a few were calling for him to get a game.
Everyone seems to be positive about him without much hype.
Lots of competition for spots at the moment.
Yep. Many here were getting impatient with Cadman, Riccardi and Keeffe at various times wanted to see something else and Derksen was doing pretty well as a VFL forward.

Cripps also shared his assessment on the 13 AFL-listed GIANTS who appeared in Saturday’s loss to the Swans.

AFL-listed GIANTS:

9. Ryan Angwin

15 disposals, two tackles, two clearances

“He’s just so reliable for us. You know he’s going to give 100 per cent every single time. He had some really good moments for us and battled hard all night.”

13. Isaac Cumming (injured his hamstring in the second term)

Eight disposals, three marks, two clearances

“We saw how valuable he is going to be for this footy club. He had a real impact early on, on both offence and defence. I wish him a speedy recovery and hope we can get him back out there as soon as we can.”

18. Conor Stone

16 disposals, three goals, three tackles

“He’s playing really consistent footy. He’s playing his role offensively and defensively, and he’s hitting the scoreboard. He’s applying pressure and playing his role in our system. He’s just got a great attitude and shows great effort every time he’s out there and this week was no exception.”
19. Nick Haynes

38 disposals, 14 marks

“He was good again, especially his leadership back there. Even with his experience and coming back at this level, he’s going back with the flight and giving it everything. He’s a competitive beast who just wants to win and keep playing good footy and he’s doing that. He’s giving us some great drive offensively and great direction defensively.”

21. Leek Aleer

Seven disposals

“It was one of those nights where keys [key position players] just had to compete. He’s had a couple of good weeks playing AFL footy and it can be a big adjustment coming back for players, but he came back with a good attitude and competed really hard.”

24. Harry Rowston

29 disposals, one goal, six marks, eight clearances

“He was good. Obviously, he was going up against a good quality AFL midfield in Luke Parker and [Angus] Sheldrick and [Braeden] Campbell, but he had some really good moments in there, especially on his spread. He had some good clearances. He’s still working on parts of his game but the good thing about him at the moment is that he’s consistently getting his hands on the ball as a midfielder, inside and outside. That’s been a growth for him, and he’s taken a big step forward in the last couple of weeks.”

25. Lachlan Keeffe

10 disposals, 10 hit-outs

“It was one of those nights for the big boys where you just had to compete and follow up and I think he did that. As always, he competed really hard.”

29. Phoenix Gothard

11 disposals, one goal, three tackles

“Phoenix just needs to get continuity with his footy. Once again, he showed his traits and he hit the scoreboard and put good pressure on. The more footy he plays the better he’s going to get.”

31. Toby McMullin

Nine disposals, four tackles

“He’s still learning some of that inside [midfielder] craft, and he spent a little bit of time forward as well. The best thing about his game at the moment is his intent on defence and stepping in, it’s becoming a real feature of his game. Then every time he gets the ball, he looks like he’s going to do something with it - he’s really damaging for us.’

33. Xavier O’Halloran

24 disposals, six marks, five tackles, six clearances

“It was great to see ‘X’ come back [to VFL level] and respond the way he did. He’s the one that really got us going in the last quarter. He looked like a man possessed in the last quarter around his hunt and defensive pressure and he really tried to will the side across the line. He was also really clean around the contest.”

34. Josh Fahey

22 disposals, five marks

“He was good across half back. His defensive decisions were a lot more consistent, and he we put him in the midfield to give us a bit more drive and penetration with his kicking in the second half and he had some good impact there for us.”

35. Max Gruzewski

10 disposals, three goals

“Max got some good reward, ending up with three goals. He competed really hard on a night that was tough for keys [key position players]. Once again, he’s just playing really consistent football. He hasn’t played a poor game yet, he keeps competing and hitting the scoreboard week in, week out.”

37. Joe Fonti

11 disposals

“Joe showed his traits once again. He’s learning his craft as a defender in an AFL system and he’s continuing to develop in that area. He’s another one who is going to get better and better with the more games he plays.”

41. Nick Madden

13 disposals, eight clearances, six tackles, 31 hit-outs

“He was really competitive once again. Similar to ‘X’ [Xavier O’Halloran], he really had a big last quarter and got us going with some really pivotal moments. We are starting to see that real competitive beast come out in him. There’s other areas of his game he’s going to continue to develop and he’s aware of that but he’s starting to become a really coachable player.”

43. Cooper Hamilton

Eight disposals, four tackles, two clearances

“A tough night for wingers, especially with the way we moved the ball with a lot more surging. But he was clean and stepped in well and played his role for us.”

45. Wade Derksen

19 disposals, seven marks, three tackles

“‘Derk’ had a big challenge with their key forwards who were pretty competitive on the night. The good thing about him at the moment is he is winning the ball back for us, whether it’s in the air or on the ground. He’s having great impact in winning the ball back in our back half and getting our offence going.”

VFL Player Shoutout: Matt Harms

17 disposals, one goal, four tackles

“He’s definitely given us some great energy forward of the ball. There’s no denying every time he goes near the ball good things happen. He’s hitting the scoreboard every week and he’s got a lot of score involvements, and his pressure is starting to become. A lot more consistent, so he’s a really important player for us.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Frankston regains Josh Butland from injury for its second tough trip in a row as it flies north to meet GWS at Blacktown International Sports Park on Saturday. Butland kicked five goals in the Dolphins’ head-turning win over Port Melbourne on Good Friday but hasn’t played since due to a broken finger, with his return a big boost for a team looking to regain its spot in the top 10 following a big loss to Geelong last week.

Fellow forward Blake O’Leary is back after missing the Cats with a sore knee, but defender Jackson Voss won’t make the trip due to a one-match suspension.

The Giants have plucked former Dolphins Academy member Josh Smith from Mornington Peninsula powerhouse Dromana to make his debut, with Conor Stone and Nick Haynes back in the AFL team. Smith, 19, is a 197cm key forward who has been deputising in the ruck for the MPFNL Tigers – and he could even line-up on Frankston defender Josh Smith, which would create a rare quirk for viewers.

GWS GIANTS vs FRANKSTON​

Saturday 11 May, 11:05am, Blacktown International Sportspark
Head-to-Head: GWS 2-0; At BISP: Never Met; Streak: GWS 2; Last Time: GWS 8.7 (55) def Frankston 6.18 (54) – July 16, 2023, Kinetic Stadium

GWS GIANTS
B:
L. Keeffe (25), R. Hebron (47), J. Bowne (59)
HB: J. Fahey (34), L. Aleer (21), J. Fonti (37)
C: C. Hamilton (43), X. O'Halloran (33), J. Wehr (10)
HF: R. Angwin (9), M. Harms (60), T. McMullin (31)
F: P. Gothard (29), M. Gruzewski (35), W. Derksen (45)
R: N. Madden (41), H. Rowston (24), N. Quigg (54)
INT: T. Moraschi (57), G. Varagiannis (56), D. Gauci (64)*, J. Smith (55), E. Williams (53)
EMG: S. House (66), E. Grace (69), J. Creighton (54), K. Gabila (62), W. Clark (58), T. McCaffrey (52)

IN: D. Gauci, T. Moraschi, J. Smith, J. Wehr
OUT: N. Haynes, C. Stone (AFL), I. Cumming (hamstring), J. Rush
NEW: Josh Smith, 19, 197cm, Dromana

FRANKSTON
B:
T. Milne (15), K. Stainthorpe (29), T. Barlow (3)
HB:
J. Lloyd (18), J. Smith (25), B. O'Leary (10)
C: J. Newnes (14), G. Grey (6), N. Burke (17)
HF: T. Murphy (5), L. Sharp (47), C. Riley (22)
F: A. McComb (20), J. Butland (8), M. Johnson (24)
R: A. Grant (19), T. Owens (7), S. Quirk (11)
INT: M. Williams (4), T. Campbell-Farrell (26), H. Jones (39), M. Nelson (32), L. Reidy (2)
EMG: J. Mounter (38), T. Marotta (30), C. Nayna (9), O. Moran (28)

IN: J. Butland, A. McComb, B. O'Leary
OUT: J. Voss (suspended), T. Marotta, C. Nayna

Again we are falling apart in the 4th
This is pretty bad. Can’t touch the footy and no clue what the structures are.

Midfield has been smashed. Keefe and McMullin the best. Derksen had some nice moments defensively, Gothard barely touched it but looks classy when he does. XO just kicks a nice goal now. Has been okay but not dominant.

No sighting of Fonti or Aleer, did they get hurt? Edit; there’s Fonti.

This is pretty bad. Can’t touch the footy and no clue what the structures are.

Midfield has been smashed. Keefe and McMullin the best. Derksen had some nice moments defensively, Gothard barely touched it but looks classy when he does. XO just kicks a nice goal now. Has been okay but not dominant.

No sighting of Fonti or Aleer, did they get hurt? Edit; there’s Fonti.
Heard Aleer has concussion

Frankston 7.19.61 def
Giants 5.17.47

A dirty day at the office for the VFL boys.
A poor one, no connection forward and mid, weather was shite however looked totally out worked.
XO is too good for this level, was head and shoulders above next best. Alert loss was felt but we just did not seem to be able to get going, some close range misses were not helping.. Both XO and Rowston good in the clinches as well, Madden worked his backside off and dominated hit outs gave away a few frees which were 50 50 , outside those 3 wehr did nothing wrong …. Flat team performance…disappointing one and w a tough opponent next week as well.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back