Society/Culture Halal: is there a simple solution?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

My name geoff

Premiership Player
Jul 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
On the back of Pauline's Easter video, encouraging non-Muslims to avoid halal Easter eggs, it's reminded me of a possible compromise which may help relieve some tension on the matter.

Is it not possible that halal certification in Australia be a federal government run exercise rather than a private Islamic group certification?

Wouldn't it help strengthen the integration of the Islamic community, as halal would be seen as a revenue stream which benefits the country as a whole? Not just an Islamic tax on non-Muslims which it is currently seen as by many.

Just seems like a no brainer and an opportunity to water down some of the suspicions people of have surrounding halal accreditation

13a.jpg

Halal is literally just vegitarian. That's one thing that made what Hansen said just completed idiot. But that's beside the point.

The solution is not to take away from the Muslim community the ability to maintain their own food choices. The solution is for campaigners like Hansen to * the hell off, and for the media to stop giving any credibility to lowlifes like her by not reporting the vile s**t people like her spew forth.

Edit: sorry, vegitarian in the Easter egg case

Halal is literally just vegitarian. That's one thing that made what Hansen said just completed idiot. But that's beside the point.

The solution is not to take away from the Muslim community the ability to maintain their own food choices. The solution is for campaigners like Hansen to **** the hell off, and for the media to stop giving any credibility to lowlifes like her by not reporting the vile s**t people like her spew forth.

So why would it be bad for the government to use it as revenue? Seems like a decent enough idea.

NB: I also think that the Church should be taxed.

The solution is not to take away from the Muslim community the ability to maintain their own food choices. The solution is for campaigners like Hansen to **** the hell off, and for the media to stop giving any credibility to lowlifes like her by not reporting the vile s**t people like her spew forth.

As far as your comment regarding Hanson is concerned, you do realise that she represents what a substantial percentage of Australians think?

The issue is that many people don't like the idea of supporting Islamic institutions, particularly when purchasing products which they have been buying for years I.e. Vegemite.

If the idea was that money from halal went back into the nations coffers, I'm sure people would more accepting of it.

So why would it be bad for the government to use it as revenue? Seems like a decent enough idea.

Church should def be taxed, but that's another argument altogether.

Halal virtually is a tax.

Church should def be taxed, but that's another argument altogether.

Halal is a tax.
I included the Church because we'll otherwise get the usual suspects in here whinging 'bu-bu-but the Church!11!'

The government taking in revenue from streams like these seems like a great idea. I think we should tax a lot more than we do.

I included the Church because we'll otherwise get the usual suspects in here whinging 'bu-bu-but the Church!11!'

The government taking in revenue from streams like these seems like a great idea. I think we should tax a lot more than we do.
Ah I understand!
It's funny how all criticism of Islam virtually need a Christian swipe preface.

It's better to get it out of the way before they come in and start obfuscating.

What would be the arguments against the government regulating it be?

Not sure tbh? Like I said in the op, seems like a bit of a no-brainer. Even just a gesture towards the host nation to show genuine compromise

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just think as a supposedly secular society the government shouldn't have any say in what a religion does (except to stop them preaching hate and violence), and neither should the church have any say in government. They also shouldn't get any government funding and should like you said be taxed like a charity or community organisation.

That means that if the religion wants to enforce a food standard (halal, kosher, whatever) then it's up to then and the companies to do it. The government regulates food standards, not food choices.

As for making money by taxing it, the government would probably make more money by stopping funding of churches, Catholic/private schools, and other such private and non government organisations.

Ah I understand!
It's funny how all criticism of Islam virtually need a Christian swipe preface.
Cant have an honest to god convo about Islam without someone bringing up some horrible thing about Christians. I have noticed this for a very long time, and it is very common on Reddit and FB. * me I dont give a s**t about the crusades or some nut shooting up an abortion clinic in the states. Not relevant. Just talk about the subject at hand please without the whataboutisms.

As far as your comment regarding Hanson is concerned, you do realise that she represents what a substantial percentage of Australians think?

The issue is that many people don't like the idea of supporting Islamic institutions, particularly when purchasing products which they have been buying for years I.e. Vegemite.

If the idea was that money from halal went back into the nations coffers, I'm sure people would more accepting of it.
Well if you're going to use the Hansen is representing the people argument, let's try some real numbers.

One nation got under 2% of the national vote. The greens got nearly 9%. If you're going to use that argument and be consistent, then you must logically support the greens position, which as we all know supports multiculturalism and has no issue with halal certification.

I look forward to your support.

I just think as a supposedly secular society the government shouldn't have any say in what a religion does (except to stop them preaching hate and violence), and neither should the church have any say in government. They also shouldn't get any government funding and should like you said be taxed like a charity or community organisation.

That means that if the religion wants to enforce a food standard (halal, kosher, whatever) then it's up to then and the companies to do it. The government regulates food standards, not food choices.

As for making money by taxing it, the government would probably make more money by stopping funding of churches, Catholic/private schools, and other such private and non government organisations.

This would be correct, up until the point where people are unhappy with the arrangement, which looks to be the situation which we are trending towards.

Consumers are unhappy that the products which they have no doubt been buying for years, are now using their dollars to satisfy a religious standard, for a religion which they don't agree with. I don't really see this as a 'choice' as you put it. It looks like a restriction of choice. A choice would be if say Vegemite were required to create a seperate product which is halal.

Last edited:
Well if you're going to use the Hansen is representing the people argument, let's try some real numbers.

One nation got under 2% of the national vote. The greens got nearly 9%. If you're going to use that argument and be consistent, then you must logically support the greens position, which as we all know supports multiculturalism and has no issue with halal certification.

I look forward to your support.

Ok so is Hanson not representing a significant percentage of the population?

Doesn't mean you have to agree with her.

Your argument is a non-sequitur

But do you think the government collecting revenue off it is a good idea?
As long as it cover others like kosher as well, don't have a problem.
Think there may be objections though as kosher registration costs a hell of lot more and also rakes in more.
Just don't see it as big a deal as Hanson does. Maybe she should concentrate on the bigger issues affecting people.

As long as it cover others like kosher as well, don't have a problem.
Think there may be objections though as kosher registration costs a hell of lot more and also rakes in more.
Just don't see it as big a deal as Hanson does. Maybe she should concentrate on the bigger issues affecting people.

Do you know of any sources for this? I'm not questioning you, I'm just interested about it. I've never really given halal and kosher any thought apart from buying halal snack packs

Do you know of any sources for this? I'm not questioning you, I'm just interested about it. I've never really given halal and kosher any thought apart from buying halal snack packs
Multi billion dollar business in the USA.
Might be in one of these threads, as halal has been discussed before:
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/anti-halal-movement-target-jacobs-creek-wines.1093197/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/halal-fees-jacqui-lambie.1087784/
https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/thre...ould-we-get-a-say.907588/page-6#post-23352440

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back