Has anyone got a Steamdeck

Remove this Banner Ad

Free Agent

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
I know it's not release in Australia yet but you could still buy them from overseas markets. They are getting quite a good wrap over in the States.

Been thinking about getting one and dissapointed that since its release Australia still have no market for it.
Basically only way to buy is through online.

For those that have one what's it like and would you recommend one.

I bought mine directly from Steam using a parcel forwarder when they had a sale on back in March. They are appearing more and more in Australian stores (Kogan etc) which would be a much smarter purchase than mine as you have a better chance with warranty.

I love it! An expensive purchase, but I don't regret it at all. I was not into handheld gaming (not really into nintendo games) but love that I can play my steam library on it. Can also emulate other games such as nintendo if you really want, I gave Zelda a try but still not quite for me.

Build quality seems good, I went with the 256gb version after hearing about the shader cache issues and not really wanting to open the deck to change the SSD. Most games are running just fine, battery life is better then I expected (depends on the game im playing and the settings I have on). I used my deck on international flights just fine and had a blast, the hours just flew by.

Is there any particular question you have about it? Happy to answer!

I bought mine directly from Steam using a parcel forwarder when they had a sale on back in March. They are appearing more and more in Australian stores (Kogan etc) which would be a much smarter purchase than mine as you have a better chance with warranty.

I love it! An expensive purchase, but I don't regret it at all. I was not into handheld gaming (not really into nintendo games) but love that I can play my steam library on it. Can also emulate other games such as nintendo if you really want, I gave Zelda a try but still not quite for me.

Build quality seems good, I went with the 256gb version after hearing about the shader cache issues and not really wanting to open the deck to change the SSD. Most games are running just fine, battery life is better then I expected (depends on the game im playing and the settings I have on). I used my deck on international flights just fine and had a blast, the hours just flew by.

Is there any particular question you have about it? Happy to answer!
Yeah I'm tossing up between steam deck and rog ally. Pretty expensive but what I want to know does most game play on it without issues.

Rog Ally is selling through JBHIFI and meant to have quality display but some are saying it's having issues with its hardware and the extra price puts me off. Steam deck has been getting solid review and better battery life. There pretty big in the US so it's a surprise Australia is so far behind in the handheld market but I'd prefer a steam deck for reliability and supposes longer battery life. How long do the battery last from full. Also with the steam deck not being in Australia is purchasing games from the Australian store on it easy or is it restricted.

Yeah I'm tossing up between steam deck and rog ally. Pretty expensive but what I want to know does most game play on it without issues.

Rog Ally is selling through JBHIFI and meant to have quality display but some are saying it's having issues with its hardware and the extra price puts me off. Steam deck has been getting solid review and better battery life. There pretty big in the US so it's a surprise Australia is so far behind in the handheld market but I'd prefer a steam deck for reliability and supposes longer battery life. How long do the battery last from full. Also with the steam deck not being in Australia is purchasing games from the Australian store on it easy or is it restricted.
Battery life is so hard to say. Depends on the game you are playing, what FPS you are trying to achieve, if you are into tinkering with the CPU/GPU settings etc (highly recommend using Decky Power Tools for this). Perhaps the best I can offer is ShareDeck, has a lot of games with player reviews of the battery life they have achieved with certain settings. Gives a decent enough look into what you can expect.

You log in with your regular Australian steam account and away you go. There is no region lock on the deck. Buy games just like you would on your PC. I haven't looked at the Ally so can't make a comment on which is better etc.

I've actually been looking at the ROG Ally a bit lately but it's hard find a use case for me. I do most of my gaming on my PC at home and don't really go anywhere where I'd want to squeeze in some gaming.

Same I'm pretty close to making a purchase, on the Rog ALLY and might do so once my tax is cleared. I don't use my Nintendo Switch as often as I used to, but the prospect of playing pc games portable style is a very tempting proposition.

Have had one for about 4 months, admittedly with a hectic pre Christmas work schedule play time was down on all platforms but tried using the S.D a few times.

Couldn't play any steam game natively without the game freezing and then crashing within a minute. Could only play Xbox game pass games via browser install work around.

Thought it was from having replaced my factory supplied 64gb storage but glad to have fixed the issue tonight and played 2 hours of Miles Morales.

By default the system shares its RAM between CPU and GPU and allocates 1024mb to the graphics and randomly adjusts the clock speed.

Changing the Uma frame buffer to 4gb and upping the clock speed to 1600mhz and modern titles now launch.

Maybe this won't be a complete waste of money after all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back