Has Eddie bitten off more than he can chew?

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 7, 2003
melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
"Yellow & Black"
All was going swimmingly for the great man before he decided to take on the most unwanted job in corporate australia. The man looks like he's aged 20 years recently and has piled on the kg's. Has he dived in too deep?

Eddie won't last the end of the year with the way he is going on about business. And the world cup footy show did not win him many friends at all in Sydney based TCN. Expensive and a commercial flop. Was seen to be too much of a "eddie and his bogan mates on tour"

Big sleepless nights ahead for Eddie thats for sure. :cool:

itsintheblood said:
All was going swimmingly for the great man before he decided to take on the most unwanted job in corporate australia. The man looks like he's aged 20 years recently and has piled on the kg's. Has he dived in too deep?
Move over St Jude, Eddie is the new patron saint of hopeless & desperate cases.

Diego said:
Eddie won't last the end of the year with the way he is going on about business. And the world cup footy show did not win him many friends at all in Sydney based TCN. Expensive and a commercial flop. Was seen to be too much of a "eddie and his bogan mates on tour"

Big sleepless nights ahead for Eddie thats for sure. :cool:

I seriously doubt that eddie has what it takes to run a tv station. He's a great on screen personality and no doubt can make things happen but this gig is way beyond his scope I feel. Lots of things going wrong around him and seems to have lost control already. James is overseas playing polo and buying a new $100m yacht and $60m plane, lots of 9 exectutive over watching wimbledon whilst staff back in melbourne have been told to not make phone calls in order to cut costs.

Some worrying signs for poor old ed.

Eddie isn't just going to give up. He'll fight tooth and nail until he gets the sack.

This probably should be on the media board, but Channel 9's problems started a long time before Eddie got the top job.

They got complacent, didn't spend enough time scouting new shows and new talent, relied to much on their 'reputation' as the leading free-to-air station and got sloppy.

Channel 7 has taken the initiative and it will be hard for 9 to win back the #1 status.

Well put it this way, TCN is no collingwood football club and the staff are not exactly in the same mould as the die hards who work at the club and hang on to his every word.

Big learning curve for McGuire thats for sure. One thing though The Footy Show and our screens are all the better for it. I really hope he never graces our screens again. The World Cup FS proved it.

McLeod23 said:
Eddie isn't just going to give up. He'll fight tooth and nail until he gets the sack.

This probably should be on the media board, but Channel 9's problems started a long time before Eddie got the top job.

They got complacent, didn't spend enough time scouting new shows and new talent, relied to much on their 'reputation' as the leading free-to-air station and got sloppy.

Channel 7 has taken the initiative and it will be hard for 9 to win back the #1 status.

Ch 7 started its rise as soon as they gave a former ch 9 program exec the top job. Funny that.

McLeod23 said:

As I posted in another thread, Eddie may have inherited some problems, but many are of his own making. He is trying to run 9 like he did The Footy Show and in business you can't just surround yourself with people you like and hope it works out. John Alexander at PBL has him by the balls and Eddie wasn't his preferred man for the job, but James Packer's intervention got Big Ed the job.

Eddie has no appropriate experience for the role and he seems to be finding it far too difficult because he has to serve so many masters, from PBL, the advertisers and stakeholders. His business accumen has been questionable with the amount he paid for the Beaconsfield gig, the ads. calling C7 "Ambulance Chasers", the sacking of respected staff who then gleefully ran to the media, the Footy Show World Cup debacle and his failure to secure any of the next season's best shows from the US. 7 would be loving this and I would assume that Alexander will soon call back the favour he did for Packer by hiring Eddie.

Eddie is a great media personality, but he is clearly not CEO material and his lack of substance and experience is beginning to show. Mates will only get you so far in business, the real test comes when you get promoted to your level of incompetence, which is clearly the case here. 9 is leaking profusely, ratings are haemorraging and stakeholders are impatient....won't be long now.

afc9798 said:
As I posted in another thread, Eddie may have inherited some problems, but many are of his own making. He is trying to run 9 like he did The Footy Show and in business you can't just surround yourself with people you like and hope it works out. John Alexander at PBL has him by the balls and Eddie wasn't his preferred man for the job, but James Packer's intervention got Big Ed the job.

Eddie has no appropriate experience for the role and he seems to be finding it far too difficult because he has to serve so many masters, from PBL, the advertisers and stakeholders. His business accumen has been questionable with the amount he paid for the Beaconsfield gig, the ads. calling C7 "Ambulance Chasers", the sacking of respected staff who then gleefully ran to the media, the Footy Show World Cup debacle and his failure to secure any of the next season's best shows from the US. 7 would be loving this and I would assume that Alexander will soon call back the favour he did for Packer by hiring Eddie.

Eddie is a great media personality, but he is clearly not CEO material and his lack of substance and experience is beginning to show. Mates will only get you so far in business, the real test comes when you get promoted to your level of incompetence, which is clearly the case here. 9 is leaking profusely, ratings are haemorraging and stakeholders are impatient....won't be long now.

Brilliantly said. Great post.

itsintheblood said:
Brilliantly said. Great post.
Why thank you!!!
The really interesting part will be how they go about removing him. They will definitely try to allow Ed to save face (as they should), but anything short of a promotion for Ed, would be seen by all and sundry as a big slap in the face. The Packer clan always looks after their boys and I can't see Big Jim allowing Ed to be hung out to dry, but how can they orchestrate it? Ill health, family commitments, a sea change, a desire to get back to his journalism roots? Watch this space......

afc9798 said:
Why thank you!!!
The really interesting part will be how they go about removing him. They will definitely try to allow Ed to save face (as they should), but anything short of a promotion for Ed, would be seen by all and sundry as a big slap in the face. The Packer clan always looks after their boys and I can't see Big Jim allowing Ed to be hung out to dry, but how can they orchestrate it? Ill health, family commitments, a sea change, a desire to get back to his journalism roots? Watch this space......

More likely use the excuse that he misses melbourne and hasnt settled in to Sydney at all, wants to be closer to his family and misses footy. He is the king of spin so if anything does happen then he is in his element.

Then again the next 6 months could see a massive turn around in the fortunes of TCN and Eddie will be hailed a hero.

"his failure to secure any of the next season's best shows from the US."

Everything you have written is pretty much on the money bar this.

Eddie has no say in what shows Nine get from the USA. Seven have got Desperate Housewives and Lost etc. from their output deal with Disney, Nine have got CSI's and Cold Case from Warner Bros.

If Eddie can survive the year, he will have the best new series' from USA coming his way in 2007. From the previews that I have seen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

celtic_pride said:
Not Eddie's fault he has a complete and utter textbook a-hole as his boss (James Packer)

You mark my words, Jamie Packer will completely stuff the PBL empire. No doubt about it. The guy is a complete tool.

itsintheblood said:
You mark my words, Jamie Packer will completely stuff the PBL empire. No doubt about it. The guy is a complete tool.
No problem really.

Uncle Rupert will bail him out and give the reins to his Aussie-based son Lachlan.

itsintheblood said:
I think the OneTel debacle suggests that he may be a crap businessman.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
No problem really.

Uncle Rupert will bail him out and give the reins to his Aussie-based son Lachlan.
With the Government suggesting the easing of cross media ownership regs you may be right on the money.

peppy la pew said:
You say that with a fair amount of conviction Iitb, have you got information to back this up. We don't get much over here in the one newspaper town.
Great thread !:thumbsu:

Mate it's in every newspaper in town. Just surf around. You'll find plenty on
El Edwardo de supremo.

News are certainly enjoying this.

Front page stories in both The Australian and the Teletrash over the past few days.

And a tidal wave of support for Jessica Rowe.

Would Eddie's pride allow him to return to Nine as a mere on-air presenter?

"The network boss has declined to comment on reports that he was so unhappy with Rowe's performance that he wanted to "bone" (sack) her. "

Now let me get this right, Edwardo wanted to "Bone" her, or did he want to get in the sack with her ? it's too confusing.
Poor old Ed, his ship is sinking and the skipper is playing polo.
It could not of happend to a more deserving bloke.

Id comment but i have no idea about the television networks or what is happening up at sydney atm.

Eddie did say nine have won 10 out of the last 11 ratings weeks so that must count for something.

It seems nine have had a brain and talent drain over the last couple of years, maybe they need to correct this first.

And this relates to footy in what way? I will say if he sacks Rowe it will be a big thumds up. She is a dud, I even prefer Koch to her and I hate his guts due to some of his corporate activites.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back