Has Eddie bitten off more than he can chew?

Remove this Banner Ad

morgoth said:
His first year at the Pies was tough also but he got on top of it. Not sure whether he will go as well in this job, lot more to it.

Fact is the Today show has gone from being a ratings leader to a dud, getting destroyed by Sunrise and has made some very poor decisions re casting. All of these decsions were made before Eddie took over, he is the one who has to try and clean up the mess. Rowe and Steffanovic are bloody awful, something has to be done, yet he gets bagged for doing it. Hardly his fault that what went on behind closed doors has been made public.

I agree, I think Eddie was right to want to sack Jessica Rowe, I would have, I think this is a good example of the Business community which is obsessed with security, If I had been Eddie, and I had made those comments I would have say something like,

Yes, I question the performance of the Today Show, I'm hired to do that very thing.

of course if he didn't make those comments then he should sue for defamation.

I think the biggest problem for Eddie, is he tries to be seen as a top bloke, while really good leaders are very really seen as such, he is still a newbie to the role, and he will learn from it.

The body langugue on the Today speaks volumes about the On air and off air relationship

bmwofoz said:
I think the biggest problem for Eddie, is he tries to be seen as a top bloke, while really good leaders are very really seen as such, he is still a newbie to the role, and he will learn from it.

An even bigger problem is the current perception that he's John Alexander's lackey.

Eddie inherited an unholy mess at Willoughby and so far it would seem that he's made little leeway in cleaning it up.

BTW, comparing Nine to Collingwood = chalk and cheese.

Jumpin' Jimmy said:
Greg Miller produces premierships. He is the Messiah.

St Jude and St Eddie only help ease the pain and suffering of perpetual losers, like the Collingwoods of this world

:p
allan jeans and even robert walls produced premierships before they went to richmond.
look what those moves produced.
after 32 years of trying and failing, eventually the pies got one(thank god). after 26 years, your mob rarely get the chance because of your inbred insipidness, so you have got alot to look forward to havnt you. one thing i have learnt from my many years playing and watching football, you have alot more chance of winning the flag being in the grand final than finishing 10th every year.
but however, some prefer to stay in the relative comfort of being a middle of the road side without the burden of expectation. each to their own i guess.

H Dolphin said:
McGuire now says he didn't want to sack her !

That's because he's in damage control. It would be better to stand by your convictions rather than keep flip flopping. Now that Eddie's trying to cover himself he's losing his credibility, because he's not saying what he really thinks.

All Eddie has done is make the current working environment a lot more difficult for Jessica. The staff at Channel 9 will be nervous about what Nero does next.

Grimreepah said:
All Eddie has done is make the current working environment a lot more difficult for Jessica. That staff at Channel 9 will be nervous about what Nero does next.
it might actually work in reverse for jessica, with her getting alot of public support as people see her as being hard done by. either way bad career move by her, she is not suited to the morning show. but what would i know, i only listen to the wireless of a morning anyways.

andypie said:
either way bad career move by her, she is not suited to the morning show.

Why is it a bad career move? Surely it is a big step up from doing the late night Channel 10 news.

And why is she not suited to the morning show? She's a lot better than Tracey Grimshaw.

Grimreepah said:
Why is it a bad career move? Surely it is a big step up from doing the late night Channel 10 news.

And why is she not suited to the morning show? She's a lot better than Tracey Grimshaw.
as i said i dont watch it so hard to comment, but the reports i have read are she plays the giggling blonde routine a bit much.

DG-Man said:
Silence from Pie fans is deafening. Has fatboy bit off more than he can chew??

What do you want us to say?? You're all basking in his fall from grace but perhaps he may not fall. I couldn't give a shyte how he runs 9 or what happens to Jessica Rowe, I'd 'bone' her too she's terrible. All I care about is the Collingwood FC which is running fine. Get a life people.

Seth said:
What do you want us to say?? You're all basking in his fall from grace but perhaps he may not fall. I couldn't give a shyte how he runs 9 or what happens to Jessica Rowe, I'd 'bone' her too she's terrible. All I care about is the Collingwood FC which is running fine. Get a life people.
well said seth.
i'd bone her too but i suspect it's a different type of boning i'm talking about.

I read that affadavit and it was very grubby. No-one deserves to be treated or referred to like that. Most of those media bosses are nasty pieces of work. I'm sure Eddie will fit in nicely amongst the wolves, and I'm glad the sanctimonial ahole is off our tv screens and out of our city.

Good riddance, Sydney can have him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

H Dolphin said:
McGuire now says he didn't want to sack her !

If you are interested, Llewellwyn's affidavit is reproduced at http://www.crikey.com.au/articles/2006/06/30-2057-1396.html

Very interesting, I think Eddie has been caught between a rock and a hard place, and as tried to protect this bloke, only to have him snub Eddie.

Sure if unhappy change networks, but without knowing his contract I think Liewellwyn might be in a bit of Legal S*it.

I know my Workplace contract forebode leaking of internal issues for a prescribed period of time.

Interesting reading here. Sounds like edwardo is losing it.

We're still the one, says Eddie
From: The Sunday Mail (Qld) By Linda Silmalis and Ellen Connolly
July 02, 2006
A DEFIANT Eddie McGuire predicts Channel 9 will win the TV ratings despite unprecedented turmoil at the network over his management.

The Nine boss yesterday rejected allegations made by his former news and current affairs chief, Mark Llewellyn, in an explosive affidavit Nine tried to keep secret.
Llewellyn alleged McGuire spoke about sacking Today host Jessica Rowe by saying: "When should we bone (sack) her?"

He also claimed there was pressure from McGuire's boss at Packer company PBL, John Alexander, to run a story critical of Seven Network owner Kerry Stokes.

Speaking at Sydney airport while waiting for a flight to Melbourne to watch his beloved Collingwood AFL side, McGuire told The Sunday Mail: "I refute a number of things that have been said.

"There have been a number of things that have been said that are wrong. We are going to win the ratings."

McGuire, who looked tired and flushed, is said by friends to be feeling the pressure after the upheaval caused by the defection of Llewellyn to Seven and the sacking of 100 news and current affairs staff.

Alexander has reportedly told McGuire that "this is the biggest crisis to hit the network" - and to fix it.

An associate said McGuire was furious at coverage of Nine's woes and could not stop swearing when he attended a business meeting during the week.

"He was swearing over and over," the source said. "They had to calm him down."

McGuire allegedly said: "People who don't stick with me will pay. Llewellyn will never work for the Packers again."

In other developments:

* Llewellyn said the statements made in his affidavit were correct and he was prepared to be cross-examined on them by Nine's lawyers.

* Nine staff were infuriated at comments by McGuire's mate, Footy Show star Sam Newman, on Channel 7. Newman, who is paid more than $500,000 a year by Nine, said McGuire was justified in sacking "insignificant and incompetent people".

* Analysts warned the internal upheaval could cause a viewer backlash as Nine's value continues to slide from its glory days.

* Sunday presenter and current affairs veteran Jana Wendt is considering leaving Australia if talks with Nine over program changes break down.

* Nine is set to target the salaries of several big stars, including Ray Martin, in a new stage of cost-cutting.

Media buyer Steve Allen said the release of the affidavit could be a turn-off for viewers.

"It tarnishes the image of the network because the public sees how this group of men allegedly acts in private," said Mr Allen, boss of media consultants Fusion Strategy. "It just adds to the perception Nine is in trouble."

He said Nine could no longer command the premium it once charged for being No.1 in the $3.5 billion-a-year TV advertising market.

Analyst Craig Shepherd, from investment adviser Commsec, said Nine was no longer the jewel in the crown of PBL assets and its contribution to the group's net worth had fallen below 20 per cent. The network was worth about $2.6 billion but would not be attractive without its internet offshoot ninemsn.

The question: how long will he last?

I laughed when Eddie was anointed CEO, I just couldn't believe how much of a ridiculous decision it was, for him to be CEO of crappingwood and Chan 9 is just too much. People say hes a top bloke, but hes one of these guys who spends all of his time getting people to like him, and if you turn on him, he will do nearly everything in his power to make sure your hated by everyone.

Some say hes a top bloke, I just think hes a ****er with a different agenda. Maybe hes created a lot of his own jobs, but then again, some of those jobs no one wanted, or wants, hence why the footy show is so much better hes not on it, considering I never watched it because of him, I hated his commentary, and I disliked who wants to be a moron with a passion.

Unfortunately for Chan9 viewers, your station is going to **** with the untimely passing of the dude who owned it, and this Llewellyn dude seemed to be doing ok for himself till this problem.

Eddie will learn eventually, his footy mates aren't going to help him out when he spirals out of control and hits rock bottom.

His performance with Chan9 is enough to say he is not CEO material, hell hes not even managerial material. Cancellation of shows, firing staff (they may be *s but such a large number?), cost cutting all over the place to save money, when Chan9 is suppose to be the biggest money earning broadcast station is aus.

He won't last past this year. Sam newman is about the only idiot on Eddie's side, but i doubt he will want to go down with him.

McGuire has always seemed like a bull at a gate, obviously hates critical analysis. If you've ever heard him call up radio stations to respond to people you'll know what I'm talking about, his way or the highway, never wrong.

I always chuckle when people talk about the fall of the Today show, :confused: it was never that great to begin with and for most of it's life, it's been up against Agro and cartoons FFS!! It's only that 7 came along with an adapted FM radio format for TV and all the short attention span people turned on to it. The fact 7 pushes gutter dwellers like Naomi Robson and finds success with them, is seeming to have an effect across all news on 7.

As far as the new big shows for each season, i really wonder how long advertising spots on Australian tv will be able to hold their value when a greater amount of the population find they can download those shows 3 months ahead of time, without ads.
The finale for Prison Break is coming!!! Yeah I saw it 8 weeks back and so have many others.

Nine will win the ratings again.

But that doesn't mean sweet FA.

Ten has lagged behind Seven and Nine for years.

Yet at the same time, has been the most profitable network.

I doesn't matter if 9 do actually win the ratings. The damage has been done. The dirty machinations of Eddie and the rest of the management has been seen by all Australians.

It always was a big jump from controlling footy buffoons once a week on Thurs night, and having another show reading out questions, to running a big business like Channel 9. By the time Eddie's thru, he'll have turned a big business into a small one!

And with all the stress he's under now, Eddie will be as fat as a barrel and as gray as a ghost by the end of the year. He'll be back in Melb. with his tail between his legs soon.

Jimthegreat said:
And why is he "deserving". Tall poppy syndrome?!!! It makes you feel better! Just a guy having a go, as he always does, doing his job. Probably always do better than you.

Call it what you will, I for one was sick and tired of seeing his fat face and listening to his overly loud voice every time I switched on the tv.
You may well be a fan of eddie ***ing everywhere, but I cannot stand the bloke.
He may have done a good job at collingwood, but he has definatley been found wanting at this level.

Grimreepah said:
Wow. I really thought McGuire would do a good job.:eek:
He's been in the job for, what, 5 months ? It's been a bad week. He still may. I wonder if the reason you thought he would do a good job is because of the self promotion and the so public fawning of Gary Lyon and Sam Newman.

H Dolphin said:
He's been in the job for, what, 5 months ?

5 months is a long time. It has been long enough for him to damage his reputation and turn a lot of people against him.

H Dolphin said:
I wonder if the reason you thought he would do a good job is because of the self promotion and the so public fawning of Gary Lyon and Sam Newman.

I thought he would do a good job because Collingwood have had a lot of off-field success since he became president. Maybe I underestimated how different the two roles are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back