Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

We are a talent over system team. When talent has a off day we can't rely on a solid system to fall back on. Rayner embodies that mindset and unfortunately the coaching crew around him never taught him accountability.
I'm sure he's been taught it.

But perhaps never disciplined him enough to just do it.

To see him wandering around nowhere near the ball without much of a clue is a bit disheartening for someone who can actually play well on his day and there's still time to get him going. If he's up for it.

I'm sure he's been taught it.

But perhaps never disciplined him enough to just do it.

To see him wandering around nowhere near the ball without much of a clue is a bit disheartening for someone who can actually play well on his day and there's still time to get him going. If he's up for it.
And that’s on the back of the First Crack team showing that footage of him late in the Dees game of how lazy and poor he was. One surely would’ve thought that the coaches would have sat him down and highlighted that such efforts are nowhere near good enough of a 100 game player.

To think a fortnight later and the laziness is back. You have to question whether he actually cares. Unfortunately, I think we’ll see his best when he is at his second club and he has to prove himself with a new group. He’s just too comfortable here and doesn’t apply himself and maybe he doesn’t want to.

I actually feel a spell in the twos would be huge for Cam. I still think he improves. But his time is running out. I just don't think what he brings on the regular is enough to retain his spot.

Strengths: overhead marking, clean hands, busting tackles, ‘X’ factor.

Weaknesses: accumulation/involvement, tank.

Play him out of the square as a genuine FF for a couple of games and see how he goes.

Would mean yet another positional change but I reckon we’d see some results. If he gets his 12 disposals within 40m of goals that may well equal 5 goals (not just from him, but by bringing the ball to ground, following his crumb, busting a tackle/palming off, and handing it off to someone to take a shot).

Whenever he’s played deeper he’s looked dangerous - against St Kilda last year and earlier this year (can’t remember who it was against).

A few peeps on here with 'long legs, short..' Sports, lol

Rayner was used just 4 times at centre bounce. Either the club has no faith in him at CBA or they are misusing him. Frankly, I think it's the latter. He either plays as the third tall or we use him at centre bounce. If we don't use him in either, then we can't expect him to do a whole lot more in his role than he is now.

If this loss can show us anything, it's that we need to use him a hell of a lot better.
To be fair, we weren't all that bad at centre bounce, winning 10-6 in that area. It was around the ground where we struggled, losing those clearances 35-27.

So I think the calls for Rayner in the middle are a little misguided. I don't necessarily disagree, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there, but I think the rationale that "we were getting smashed at centre bounces" is not quite right.

I am however open to the suggestion that the quality of our centre clearances may have been better with Rayner in there.

But then again, scoring from centre bounces is generally not a sustainable score source. I think it comes back to the question of "can Rayner play as a midfielder?" And if he can't, then I guess we won't see him at many centre bounces, rightly or wrongly.

To be fair, we weren't all that bad at centre bounce, winning 10-6 in that area. It was around the ground where we struggled, losing those clearances 35-27.

So I think the calls for Rayner in the middle are a little misguided. I don't necessarily disagree, I wouldn't mind seeing him in there, but I think the rationale that "we were getting smashed at centre bounces" is not quite right.

I am however open to the suggestion that the quality of our centre clearances may have been better with Rayner in there.

But then again, scoring from centre bounces is generally not a sustainable score source. I think it comes back to the question of "can Rayner play as a midfielder?" And if he can't, then I guess we won't see him at many centre bounces, rightly or wrongly.

Our centre bounce stoppage quality was very poor though. I don't think they were overly worried about our CB wins as they could generally just force a stoppage which is then where we lost the around the ground stoppages more often than not. Had we used Rayner at CB more, I believe he'd have won more clearances both from the CB and the following stoppage. From there, he could easily rotate with Zorko etc to follow the ball while he goes forward.

In most situations - even when we created a stoppage, having Rayner there to win quality clearances (especially so with Ashcroft out) would have helped - of that I am certain.

Our centre bounce stoppage quality was very poor though. I don't think they were overly worried about our CB wins as they could generally just force a stoppage which is then where we lost the around the ground stoppages more often than not. Had we used Rayner at CB more, I believe he'd have won more clearances both from the CB and the following stoppage. From there, he could easily rotate with Zorko etc to follow the ball while he goes forward.

In most situations - even when we created a stoppage, having Rayner there to win quality clearances (especially so with Ashcroft out) would have helped - of that I am certain.
We did work out one thing off the back of the game on the weekend.
Zorko is no longer a midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thinking about this a bit more, should we simply do what other clubs do? Start Rayner in at centre bounces, then as soon as the ball leaves the area, he takes up his role as our third tall forward, and Dev, who started inside 50, takes over as the inside mid.

This doesn't seem too complicated when guys like Martin, Bolton, Stringer and Pickett do it. Maybe it's too hard for our guys to get our heads around tho?

It does of course require that Dev actually be playing for this tactic to work. It also requires Gunston to not be playing for Rayner to take up his mantle as our third tall forward. But that is a melt for another thread...

Thinking about this a bit more, should we simply do what other clubs do? Start Rayner in at centre bounces, then as soon as the ball leaves the area, he takes up his role as our third tall forward, and Dev, who started inside 50, takes over as the inside mid.

This doesn't seem too complicated when guys like Martin, Bolton, Stringer and Pickett do it. Maybe it's too hard for our guys to get our heads around tho?

It does of course require that Dev actually be playing for this tactic to work. It also requires Gunston to not be playing for Rayner to take up his mantle as our third tall forward. But that is a melt for another thread...

That's exactly what we do whenever Rayner attends a centre bounce

Absolutely what I'd do with Cam.

More importantly tell Neale to hold his man and let Rayner hunt the ball. If he emerges with the ball then we'll be off.

Too strong to tackle and he'll attract a crowd releasing free players like McCluggage outside.

The enigma that is Rayner.

Is the wait over? Does destiny beckon or he goes by the way of the Cupido?
Is this another pre-season where we convince ourselves, this is it, this is his time?
Breakout elite year coming up or another average, middling disappointment, break heart type year?

Over to you Cam.

The enigma that is Rayner.

Is the wait over? Does destiny beckon or he goes by the way of the Cupido?
Is this another pre-season where we convince ourselves, this is it, this is his time?
Breakout elite year coming up or another average, middling disappointment, break heart type year?

Over to you Cam.
Elevation to the leadership group suggests that the club believe he is maturing and ready to explode.

Over to you Cam.

Elevation to the leadership group suggests that the club believe he is maturing and ready to explode.

Over to you Cam.

Terrific. I'm as optimistic as others here. Signs point in the right direction, this is his year. However, If you're on our list what odds you will be elevated to our leadership group? I'm not a betting man but the chances are pretty much in your favour.;)

He's this season entering the prime years of a players career at 24 years of age, has a couple of uninterrupted pre seasons under his belt and as Dalions mentioned has been elevated to the leadership group.
fe6bc442-8f47-4fc9-b59c-206370ff6820-620x372.jpeg

I remember comments from Fagan in maybe his first or second season about how maybe he should have been dropped but they decided he would learn more in the seniors. Except its meant he never learnt to play proper midfield, never got fit enough and never had to fight for his spot.

Personally think we've screwed up his development and mismanaged him. Been a total draft bust

He is only a forward pocket. Should always be a forward pocket. Will never be anything else.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back