Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner stunk it up big time in the Grand Final and he starts 2024 on the wrong side of the ledger. The much vaunted ‘breakout season’ really has to be this year.
The one thing I find endearing about you 3KZ and that obviously gets on other people's nerves is that you're prepared to say what many are thinking but just don't have the kahunas to put it in print.

Whilst not supporting in totality what you said I'm still not over it either.

To be kind it was a coaching error ,if they had their time again...... . But there are many points in a game that you could pick apart , we went in with a plan that didn't work out how we imagined it would. Overall we did most things right and still had our opportunities to win it.

But yeah. He owes us that one. Next time maybe he can tear it apart.

The one thing I find endearing about you 3KZ and that obviously gets on other people's nerves is that you're prepared to say what many are thinking but just don't have the kahunas to put it in print.

To be kind it was a coaching error ,if they had their time again...... . But there are many points in a game that you could pick apart , we went in with a plan that didn't work out how we imagined it would. Overall we did most things right and still had our opportunities to win it.

Could be Gardiner playing that role for us this year.
Atleast he is a defensively minded player.

In practice we'll probably see Gardiner roll on to Doedee's opponent, freeing up Doedee to read the play and cut off long balls. Then hopefully use it better back the other way than we did last season, late in quarters, particularly in the Grand Final.

This, and the improvement in Andrews' kicking, has the potential to revamp our ball movement. Fagan talked about wanting to be more of a handball team this year, allowing us to change the speed at which we attack. This is partly about the run from behind we would like to get from Wilmot, McKenna and Coleman.

But imagine if, instead of the player taking the mark giving off that little handball to one of those guys running past, it's a hard flat stabbed 15m lateral pass to that same bloke who's already on the move forward. Think about how much more room that would give those 3 guys to run and create with the ball. For one, he won't get confronted by the guy standing the mark.

It's higher risk, sure. That's why the skills have got to be on point. But the returns could be spectacular. Perhaps rather than running 5m and kicking over the top of the long-down-the-line contest, maybe they'll be able to run their full 15, hit up a guy on a short lead on a 45, ideally in the corridor, THEN keep coming for the handball receive (or a McCluggage/Zorko type gets the handball receive, on the other side of the guy receiving the kick), THEN kick over the top of that long-down-the-line contest while the defence is already retreating.

Anyway that could be a bit aggressive for 2024. Let's see how it develops over the season. But Andrews' kicking has often been a bit iffy and it was on point last Thursday, so the early signs are promising.

I just can’t get past his measly two disposals in the second half of a tight Grand Final. Hardly the stuff of a freshly minted club leader. As I said, he owes us. My secret fear is that if it gets a bit hard at Brisbane, he might just bunk off to a BIG MONEY Victorian club and where will that leave the chorus of boosters who have cut him more slack than I’ve ever seen a player cut in well over 50 years of following the game.

Last edited:
I just can’t get past his measly two disposals in the second half of a tight Grand Final. Hardly the stuff of a freshly minted club leader. As I said, he owes us. My secret fear is that if it gets a bit hard at Brisbane, he might just bunk off to a BIG MONEY Victorian club and where will that leave the chorus of boosters who have cut him more slack than I’ve ever seen a player cut in well over 50 years of following the game.
From what I have seen , I have more confidence in Dev doing more in the middle than Rayner.
Dev had a pretty good game on the last final.
Rayner , I just can't see how he can defend , work enough to get the footy and work hard enough to effectively help control the ball when the oppo is first to the ball.
Keep him in the forwards, he can damage the oppo. with his craft in setting play up and hitting the scoreboard .

sorry wrong thread, ok not really sorry, but this talk of more handball in our game , ffs, how many years have some of us been saying , we need to keep possession more , than hoofing it forward to a contest.
Finally and hopefully we might hit the right balance, and this means use our bloody width as well , cause if we don't we are screwed for another year.

I was thinking that myself, the way that they've prepped Gardiner in the pre season if we're committed to the loose guy in defence when we think we need it we can throw him back there and we know he'll dig in and scrape to get the job done. With a few more attacking tools in his arsenal if the opportunity presents itself

I didn't care about the second half, we still had our chances to win it. It was what happened in the first half that did my head in.

I was thinking that myself, the way that they've prepped Gardiner in the pre season if we're committed to the loose guy in defence when we think we need it we can throw him back there and we know he'll dig in and scrape to get the job done. With a few more attacking tools in his arsenal if the opportunity presents itself
I am not sold on the idea myself because I believe it gives our mids the idea that it is ok to relax for a bit.
Which is when we get scored heavily against and I think that’s our biggest problem when we role someone back, our mids go to sleep making 10 times harder for our defenders even with a spare.
When the ball comes down so quick and un pressured, good luck to our defenders.

I am not sold on the idea myself because I believe it gives our mids the idea that it is ok to relax for a bit.
Which is when we get scored heavily against and I think that’s our biggest problem when we role someone back, our mids go to sleep making 10 times harder for our defenders even with a spare.
When the ball comes down so quick and un pressured, good luck to our defenders.
Oh I agree totally. I was banging on about it all year. Just about every time we tried it it backfired.

But if we persisted and pulled it out for the first 2 quarters in a tight GF you'd have to thing we're a bit committed to the process.

Maybe what happened could change the thinking. One would hope.

Oh I agree totally. I was banging on about it all year. Just about every time we tried it it backfired.

But if we persisted and pulled it out for the first 2 quarters in a tight GF you'd have to thing we're a bit committed to the process.

Maybe what happened could change the thinking. One would hope.
When they are running with it in a pre season praccy match and an intraclub, one would think not.

Rayner was again horrible last night. One of the worst number one picks in recent history and just does nothing other than a few flashes here and there. I guarantee Harley Reid will be a better player by mid season.

Berry is another that has never been dropped since arriving at the club. Is a momentum killer, player a massive part in why we lost the GF and again is so dense that he has not addressed anything from last season. Time for Fagan to make a stand with many of these untouchables who know their place is guaranteed week after week and literally take their spots for granted until Fagan drops them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rayner was again horrible last night. One of the worst number one picks in recent history and just does nothing other than a few flashes here and there. I guarantee Harley Reid will be a better player by mid season.

Berry is another that has never been dropped since arriving at the club. Is a momentum killer, player a massive part in why we lost the GF and again is so dense that he has not addressed anything from last season. Time for Fagan to make a stand with many of these untouchables who know their place is guaranteed week after week and literally take their spots for granted until Fagan drops them.

Pretty sure Berry played a bit of reserves a couple of years back and was dropped for a game

Cam should be on thin ice but he isn't being dropped, he only just got put in the leadership group.

Berry is a tease, his best footy is very good but has too many down games, can't see him being dropped either.

Pretty sure Berry played a bit of reserves a couple of years back and was dropped for a game
Berry has never been dropped. My son did a table that I still now add to of the outs after each game and I guarantee you, Berry along with Rayner has NEVER been dropped. As I’ve said before, it’s always the scapegoats that Fagan throws under the bus whilst certain untouchables clearly can do no wrong.

Cam should be on thin ice but he isn't being dropped, he only just got put in the leadership group.

Berry is a tease, his best footy is very good but has too many down games, can't see him being dropped either.
Some how Berry is in the leadership group to. Surely it can’t be for what he does on field because he offers zero leadership. I saying that O or Rayner doesn’t either.

What was ever wrong with one captain, one vice and one DVC or is this the new work millennial era we live in where everyone needs to be pumped up so some players feelings aren’t hurt?

Berry has never been dropped. My son did a table that I still now add to of the outs after each game and I guarantee you, Berry along with Rayner has NEVER been dropped. As I’ve said before, it’s always the scapegoats that Fagan throws under the bus whilst certain untouchables clearly can do no wrong.

There was a game when he was out with a shoulder but then played reserves or something like that. Possibly 2021

Some how Berry is in the leadership group to. Surely it can’t be for what he does on field because he offers zero leadership. I saying that O or Rayner doesn’t either.

What was ever wrong with one captain, one vice and one DVC or is this the new work millennial era we live in where everyone needs to be pumped up so some players feelings aren’t hurt?
I am definitely a fan of the 1 Captain, 1 Vice Captain and that's it option.

No need to announce a formal leadership group, other "leaders" will naturally step up around the club at training, game day etc.

Isn't it just great that Cam has gotten so fit and has now truly turned the corner. Just terrific. Deserves all those front page accolades. As for Berry- well it's obvious he is over those little shoulder problems. And Starcevich- fresh from his 5 goal GF disaster he has now gone on to further headless chook overrunning the ball episodes. Now to our "stars". Why wait and just put in our worst game in years, Harris. And where were you when the going got tough, Hugh.

As for our coaching: now how do we turn a 7 goal lead into a total f##up? Just ask Cams bestie.

Too soft, too easy, too bruise free.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bailey showed significantly less last night than Rayner.

I get that Rayner is a frustrating player, but Neale, McCluggage and Bailey were basically missing in action from half way through the second term and all the third term.

Lyons was winning the ball at stoppages, but offered nothing in open play, and was a witches hat as a defender.

Very hard to lay any blame for last night on Rayner.

Rayner's problem in my mind is he thinks he is working to elite levels. He isn't. He will never have a good tank but we knew that when we drafted him. But 15 disposals isn't going to cut it unless he can add 2/3 goals to that. He needs to be a 20 disposal player who kicks 35+ goals for the year.

He won't be dropped - we all know this. He is an established player in the side - he needs to step up and do more. 5/6 more touches an extra goal would be a good start.

Bailey showed significantly less last night than Rayner.

I get that Rayner is a frustrating player, but Neale, McCluggage and Bailey were basically missing in action from half way through the second term and all the third term.

Lyons was winning the ball at stoppages, but offered nothing in open play, and was a witches hat as a defender.

Very hard to lay any blame for last night on Rayner.

100% wrong on Lyons IMO backed up by the fact he only won 1 clearance

Was completely ineffective on the inside but surprisingly good on the spread and used the ball quite well.

Still wasn’t transitioning defensively though.

Agree with Bailey and Rayner though. Don’t think either are midfielders or ever will be.

100% wrong on Lyons IMO backed up by the fact he only won 1 clearance

Was completely ineffective on the inside but surprisingly good on the spread and used the ball quite well.

Still wasn’t transitioning defensively though.

Agree with Bailey and Rayner though. Don’t think either are midfielders or ever will be.
Agree , the sooner we realise that and optimise their gifts and get better options in there when ever we can the better off the team will be. Neither work near hard enough to take significant M/F minutes but obviously are more than useful in bursts.

Agree , the sooner we realise that and optimise their gifts and get better options in there when ever we can the better off the team will be. Neither work near hard enough to take significant M/F minutes but obviously are more than useful in bursts.

Unfortunately we’re then left with nobody to rotate into the midfield

Remove this Banner Ad

Back