Has Rayner EVER been dropped?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rayner was again horrible last night. One of the worst number one picks in recent history and just does nothing other than a few flashes here and there. I guarantee Harley Reid will be a better player by mid season.

Berry is another that has never been dropped since arriving at the club. Is a momentum killer, player a massive part in why we lost the GF and again is so dense that he has not addressed anything from last season. Time for Fagan to make a stand with many of these untouchables who know their place is guaranteed week after week and literally take their spots for granted until Fagan drops them.
Berry is a not a smart footballer. He can't read the play, he is too slow to react and his disposal isn't up to scratch. The only position he can play is a hard tagging role on an opposition's midfielder, where he can be led to the ball.

Unfortunately we’re then left with nobody to rotate into the midfield
Well Ashcroft back will be a big inclusion . Tunstill not there yet but worth a look.

As far as the rotations go we have Rayner ,Bailey and Zorko. Not ideal and can't see anyone else with the capacity. Berry did it once and never to be repeated.

It's been an issue for a long time.

Well Ashcroft back will be a big inclusion . Tunstill not there yet but worth a look.

As far as the rotations go we have Rayner ,Bailey and Zorko. Not ideal and can't see anyone else with the capacity. Berry did it once and never to be repeated.

It's been an issue for a long time.

We had Dunkley, Neale, Clug and Ashcroft basically covering for all the midfield rotations last year. We'll probably revert to that again

Rayner was again horrible last night. One of the worst number one picks in recent history and just does nothing other than a few flashes here and there. I guarantee Harley Reid will be a better player by mid season.

Berry is another that has never been dropped since arriving at the club. Is a momentum killer, player a massive part in why we lost the GF and again is so dense that he has not addressed anything from last season. Time for Fagan to make a stand with many of these untouchables who know their place is guaranteed week after week and literally take

their spots for granted until Fagan drops them.

Shhh. You have balls. I said this as soon as I came back and I got lynched.

People are dreaming too much about Rayner. He will never cut it and Berry is a waste of a spot.

Rayner had equal clearance numbers to Neale, 6 tackles, a goal, 5 score involvements and 15 touches. Spent more time forward because JL can only play mid. Thought he had a fine game.
Yeah I thought he was ok too. I raised in another thread how little involvement many of our best players had in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and Rayner was not one of them. He is not and wont ever really put up big numbers, but he was relatively consistent across the 4 quarters and had 3 tackles in the period we were being demolished. I also suspect he didn't feature a great deal in the midfield during that period? Would like to see the cba numbers across the 4 quarters.

Yeah I thought he was ok too. I raised in another thread how little involvement many of our best players had in the 2nd and 3rd quarters and Rayner was not one of them. He is not and wont ever really put up big numbers, but he was relatively consistent across the 4 quarters and had 3 tackles in the period we were being demolished. I also suspect he didn't feature a great deal in the midfield during that period? Would like to see the cba numbers across the 4 quarters.
Cam was in our better players and at least put his body in and tried hard . I wish he hadn't gone for that speccy from the back in the last minute when we needed him at the fall of the ball but that's him and if he pulled it off he's a hero.

If many didn't have such high expectations you'd say he did his job sufficiently well and we hope he can kick it up another level from there.

Bailey showed significantly less last night than Rayner.

I get that Rayner is a frustrating player, but Neale, McCluggage and Bailey were basically missing in action from half way through the second term and all the third term.

Lyons was winning the ball at stoppages, but offered nothing in open play, and was a witches hat as a defender.

Very hard to lay any blame for last night on Rayner.
Agree and Berry had 7 disposals during the third quarter while those others went missing. At least he was still having a go when the Blues were dominating.

Rayner had equal clearance numbers to Neale, 6 tackles, a goal, 5 score involvements and 15 touches. Spent more time forward because JL can only play mid. Thought he had a fine game.

I agree though from watching the game at the ground it did feel like he still struggled to fully commit to the defensive aspect in the middle. Just a couple times where he was caught out because he didn’t switch on until he realised his man was loose.

Regardless the six tackles and five clearances show he definitely made an impact in the midfield even with the just fifteen touches. With Dunkley, Neale, McCluggage and Ashcroft coming back I’m not exactly sure we need him to rack up 20+ if he manages to get those tackles and clearances.

I agree though from watching the game at the ground it did feel like he still struggled to fully commit to the defensive aspect in the middle. Just a couple times where he was caught out because he didn’t switch on until he realised his man was loose.

Regardless the six tackles and five clearances show he definitely made an impact in the midfield even with the just fifteen touches. With Dunkley, Neale, McCluggage and Ashcroft coming back I’m not exactly sure we need him to rack up 20+ if he manages to get those tackles and clearances.

I agree, although think it was less to do with not being willing to fully commit and more not knowing when to commit. It's a fine - go in early and risk getting sucked into the contest. Don't go in soon enough and they clear the ball away from you.

Will come with more time and experience. He did well, but will do better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

bit odd to bump this thread after that game
Scapegoat hunt..so far I’ve seen Rayner,Hipwood,Clug,Payne,Berry,Charlie and Fagan.Think I missed a few.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back