Roast Hass Survives

Remove this Banner Ad

Players fitness levels this year was 100% on the players. They're the ones that turned up out of shape after covid, other teams players didn't.
I remember Nicks saying something early in the year about how if you think doing the bare minimum will get you results then you're wrong and the players need to be proactive in making sure they work hard away from the club to get the needed results.

The days of guys like Darren Jarman and Graham Johncock doing the "I'll play myself into shape" routine are well and truly gone.

I remember Nicks saying something early in the year about how if you think doing the bare minimum will get you results then you're wrong and the players need to be proactive in making sure they work hard away from the club to get the needed results.

The days of guys like Darren Jarman and Graham Johncock doing the "I'll play myself into shape" routine are well and truly gone.
It's exactly what our club did this year!

Players fitness levels this year was 100% on the players. They're the ones that turned up out of shape after covid, other teams players didn't.

Hang on a minute

Isn't the guy who is Head of Fitness in charge of setting and enforcing the standards for fitness across the playing group?

If he is letting players slack off and not meet the requirements he set, then he is (again) ultimately accountable. That's what being in a management or department head role is all about

It feels to me like they think circumstances meant Hass may not have been the problem, and he'd be better in a more normal season.

I guess we'll find out.

Hang on a minute

Isn't the guy who is Head of Fitness in charge of setting and enforcing the standards for fitness across the playing group?

If he is letting players slack off and not meet the requirements he set, then he is (again) ultimately accountable. That's what being in a management or department head role is all about
Our fitness appeared to be ok late in the year.

I thought Hass needed to go, still do, but maybe his predecessor was more of an issue than we thought.

Im p#ssed that Hass has not been shown the door. He's had 3 years and stuffed up every year. This guy needs to be turfed to the sidewalk. And Im not hiding behind a keyboard here. How anyone can say he has not been a key part of the downfall over the last 3 years is beyond me.

This is absolutely true, however, in the arena of professional sports this is also just as applicable to staff, maybe more, particularly when you are looking at high numbers of young players on the list.

The neglect shown by the support team during the COVID-19 break is nothing short of a disgrace, and surely not all Steve Saunders fault alone, I would hope that Matt Hass and his short term survival is a matter of logistics and timing and not a reflection of his lack of contribution to our poor levels of fitness and hamstrung 2020 season!

I have a mixed feeling about our players fitness levels.

On the one hand, I don't think Hass' appointment was done with any rigour and instead was simply a matter of Burton bringing in a guy he worked with. His promotion, only a matter of days later, was an absolute disgrace. So, no I don't think he ever had the qualifications or experience to be in this role. As such, he should be replaced.

However,
I also think that the playing group need to take responsibility for the condition they returned in. In this I think our leadership has been greatly lacking.
When I see Tex and Sloane, I see two guys who know their best is behind them, who know we are in re-build mode and who know that they won't be in our next contending team.
I also see two guys who went through heartache with their kids and as such have a much greater emphasis on family than they otherwise might have.
The result is that I think we are lacking that driven leader who is pushing the side forwards.

I suspect that once the Covid shutdown happened, our leaders spent time with their families and largely let the club direction fall away. It then took time for the playing group to reach anything near AFL fitness levels.

I don't think of this as a criticism of Sloane and Tex, as they have every reason to want to focus on their family. But it does show that we lack some leadership willing to really drive standards.

Hang on a minute

So during Covid he was holding sessions on the oval?, he had them all at the gym?

No, all players were given a plan to follow to return in tip top condition, same as every club but all of our players returned less fit than Mitch Mcgovern at the back end of a KFC bender. No other clubs returned with the same poor level of fitness, which is down on our players, not on a guy who could only hold zoom sessions. I notice that when he did have them back our fitness got better but it took a while to get to match fitness...and then we started running out games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have a mixed feeling about our players fitness levels.

On the one hand, I don't think Hass' appointment was done with any rigour and instead was simply a matter of Burton bringing in a guy he worked with. His promotion, only a matter of days later, was an absolute disgrace. So, no I don't think he ever had the qualifications or experience to be in this role. As such, he should be replaced.

However,
I also think that the playing group need to take responsibility for the condition they returned in. In this I think our leadership has been greatly lacking.
When I see Tex and Sloane, I see two guys who know their best is behind them, who know we are in re-build mode and who know that they won't be in our next contending team.
I also see two guys who went through heartache with their kids and as such have a much greater emphasis on family than they otherwise might have.
The result is that I think we are lacking that driven leader who is pushing the side forwards.

I suspect that once the Covid shutdown happened, our leaders spent time with their families and largely let the club direction fall away. It then took time for the playing group to reach anything near AFL fitness levels.

I don't think of this as a criticism of Sloane and Tex, as they have every reason to want to focus on their family. But it does show that we lack some leadership willing to really drive standards.

Yep, you've hit on something here.

Sloane as captain has been an unmitigated disaster, he is certainly getting the "nice guy" discount on any criticism.

From fitness levels, to senior player buy in to Nicks gameplan/philosophy, to desire etc was diabolical for 90% of the year. As you say it didn't appear that he was driving elite standards.

We only came good when we started playing teams off 4 days breaks at the end of the year.

Tex got knocked from pillar to post whilst captain (despite leading us to a GF and having his coach murdered) and yet Sloane as sole captain skates through unquestioned captaining our worst season ever culminating with a wooden spoon.

Very odd.

Sloane as captain has been an unmitigated disaster, he is certainly getting the "nice guy" discount on any criticism.

From fitness levels, to senior player buy in to Nicks gameplan/philosophy, to desire etc was diabolical for 90% of the year. As you say it didn't appear that he was driving elite standards.

We only came good when we started playing teams off 4 days breaks at the end of the year.

Tex got knocked from pillar to post whilst captain (despite leading us to a GF and having his coach murdered) and yet Sloane as sole captain skates through unquestioned captaining our worst season ever culminating with a wooden spoon.

Very odd.
Thing is, I actually understand where Sloane and Tex would be coming from. It is human nature for them to focus more on their family. I don't blame them at all.
What it means though, is that we need others to really drive the standards and to hold others accountable. Does that mean Sloane steps down as Captain? Maybe. IF we have the right person ready.
I want Doedee Captain, but don't know how well he would drive the group. We really need a young, determined and driven leader to step up and take ownership of the team.

Very odd.
And only doing media when we started winning. We had to give him 5 years to keep him, that's going to bite us, he's a naughty boy

Thing is, I actually understand where Sloane and Tex would be coming from. It is human nature for them to focus more on their family. I don't blame them at all.
What it means though, is that we need others to really drive the standards and to hold others accountable. Does that mean Sloane steps down as Captain? Maybe. IF we have the right person ready.
I want Doedee Captain, but don't know how well he would drive the group. We really need a young, determined and driven leader to step up and take ownership of the team.

Agree again, I can understand here Sloane is coming from, he got his retirement deal (5 years), family is his focus and it seems he is just going through the motions as captain.

Would love to give it to one of our younger brigade.

So during Covid he was holding sessions on the oval?, he had them all at the gym?

No, all players were given a plan to follow to return in tip top condition, same as every club but all of our players returned less fit than Mitch Mcgovern at the back end of a KFC bender. No other clubs returned with the same poor level of fitness, which is down on our players, not on a guy who could only hold zoom sessions. I notice that when he did have them back our fitness got better but it took a while to get to match fitness...and then we started running out games.
So we just happen to have an entire playing list of hacks that don't want to work?

Geez, we got unlucky. Everyone on the list not meeting standards.

Hass sets the standards. It doesn't matter if he is holding sessions over Zoom or in person. If he can't hold his players accountable for failing to meet the requirements he set he isn't cut out for a management role. If everyone on the list feels they can slack off because Hass can't set appropriate consequences, that's also on management to resolve

So we just happen to have an entire playing list of hacks that don't want to work?

Geez, we got unlucky. Everyone on the list not meeting standards.

Hass sets the standards. It doesn't matter if he is holding sessions over Zoom or in person. If he can't hold his players accountable for failing to meet the requirements he set he isn't cut out for a management role. If everyone on the list feels they can slack off because Hass can't set appropriate consequences, that's also on management to resolve

That's not really how it works.

We nearly went the entire season without a win and it wasn't until the team played themselves into a base level of fitness 15 weeks in that we managed to be competitive. Only one person is ultimately responsible for us going that close to being the first side since 1964 to not win a game all year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back