Autopsy Hawks pile on the points v Suns - Rd 14 , 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

I just don’t get why posters can’t have an opinion without being criticised. If it’s personal, sure you can then payout but if it’s just general comments then why the angst. Just because you got the four points there’s no reason discussion can’t be held around areas needing improvement

Everyone is allowed an opinion, just as everyone is allowed to criticise that opinion.

As for general negativity, there’s posters who post offer good critical insight as to what we need to improve on, and others who just want to pot everything and everyone that’s not perfect. It’s the same as it’s always been, even during the 3pete era.

Last edited:
Anybody else excited about the fact we won against a side that beat us easily twice last year? Or just me? :)

That we’re currently the 5th best defensive team in the comp is the most pleasing element for me at present.

No, there was little to no wind, certainly nothing of significance, as I said before, perfect conditions.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app
And as was said before, every time they cut to the stands the flags were almost stiff in the breeze it was blowing so strong. Weird.

The first quarter was utter garbage but we dominated from that point on, still annoying that we can't turn 60 entries into 100 points, at least yesterday we took 22 marks inside 50 though.

Should've scored well over 100 points in the last two games. 22 marks inside 50 for only 13 goals in return is poor conversion. You turn 13.18 into 18.13 and it would've been an impressive win. Same for the Adelaide game. If the forward-line can start to function better then they can beat any team.

Should've scored well over 100 points in the last two games. 22 marks inside 50 for only 13 goals in return is poor conversion. You turn 13.18 into 18.13 and it would've been an impressive win. Same for the Adelaide game. If the forward-line can start to function better then they can beat any team.

I suppose Gold Coast kicked 5.13 also, so the margin was probably about right.

The first quarter was utter garbage but we dominated from that point on, still annoying that we can't turn 60 entries into 100 points, at least yesterday we took 22 marks inside 50 though.
A month ago we couldn’t turn entries into scoring opportunities, now we can’t turn scoring opportunities into goals.

Hopefully that’s the next step, because we’ll start hitting that magical 100pt zone.

The entire defense has been excellent over the last month conceding only 75,61,32 and 43 points = 52.75 points against.

I think Clarko has made a point about focusing on our defensive footy in the second half.

I was at the game. There was no wind, it was pretty much perfect conditions, if anything it was pretty bright. I see no excuses for the poor goal kicking today. Most of the girls in my daughters under 11 team would have converted a number of the shots that were missed.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bradkli and Brandt liked this post. You're obviously doing something wrong. :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, I’m not sure why there’s so much “the sky’s falling” posts in here.

They got a quick start and a couple of goals where things bounced right, and I think they were steaming after their last game. I think we controlled the game after about 15 minutes into the first quarter. Our defence and midfield dominated, and our forwards were good except for the kicking straight for goal thing.

What I liked most was the the younger players are getting more confidence: the defence has a settled look about it and we have plenty of options up forward. Yes, the GCS were not very good, but we’ve won 2 games by nearly 10 goals and you can’t ask any more than that.

And I’ve watched the replay: the game was quite watchable, I don’t understand the angst here.

And no babies were born during the game!

(as far as I know ...)
Everyone wants to see picture perfect footy don’t they .
Ruckman wins tap , midfielder clears ball to running player in space who hits forward on the lead who kicks goal .
Reality is it hardly if ever happens

At the minute we are a bit workmanlike and sometimes it isnt easy to watch , but might hold us in good stead later .

My question is whether and how much scope for improvement we have in us , or is this just our level or standard
Hopefully it’s the former

Isn’t the player he was for pretty obvious reasons but still has a key role for us
Aren’t too many versatile 6’4 players running around
Still has plenty to offer just not to the same high level of expectation as before

I agree on versatility, his game pre cancer was more about playing midfield and exploiting mismatches going forward imo. His handball is as still as quick and as good as any.

Rough is second on the team for score involvements, Breust is first
Just over 40% of Roughs disposals end up in Hawks scores, just under 50% of Breusts do

And that doesnt include the off the ball work Rough does to help the club score

He may be hanging on by his fingernails and only had it 10 times yesterday but we scored from 6 of those touches.

He's still super important to how we go about it

And as was said before, every time they cut to the stands the flags were almost stiff in the breeze it was blowing so strong. Weird.
There's always a breeze above the stands, but it's not at ground level. Most of the kicks at goal simply weren't affected. It's the kicks from 45+ out where the player kicks above the level of the stands where the wind might take it.
There was one in the last where a GC player missed from right in front and Sicily (I think) from the kick-out kicked it 55 metres straight back down the middle.

Rough is second on the team for score involvements, Breust is first
Just over 40% of Roughs disposals end up in Hawks scores, just under 50% of Breusts do

And that doesnt include the off the ball work Rough does to help the club score

He may be hanging on by his fingernails and only had it 10 times yesterday but we scored from 6 of those touches.

He's still super important to how we go about it

The games I’ve been to this year I’ve always been mystified by the Rough criticism coming out of them. Doing a fair bit that cameras don’t pick up.

It’s like when I’d go to work after weekends where Franklin would kick 1 goal and opposition fans would say how overrated he was - when I asked if they’d been at the game to see what he did off the ball they always got a bit meeker. Rough and Franklin have always been busy players and if the ball isn’t coming in the forward 50 they hunt the ball or help out around the ground.

His kicking isn’t what it was, I’ll grant that. As he’s the only player recovering from nerve damage I’ll give him a pass on that though. His work rate has still been top notch this year.

We're heading in the right direction. Our defence is becoming tighter and we're starting to turn inside 50's into actual scoring opportunities. If we can have a strong run home then the possibility of sneaking a top 4 finish is still alive.

There's always a breeze above the stands, but it's not at ground level. Most of the kicks at goal simply weren't affected. It's the kicks from 45+ out where the player kicks above the level of the stands where the wind might take it.
There was one in the last where a GC player missed from right in front and Sicily (I think) from the kick-out kicked it 55 metres straight back down the middle.
Many many of the kicks bent in the wind off the boot all day regardless of distance out. The sad thing was they were missing off the boot anyway. I think some players actually thought the wind was tricky, and tried to adjust. A lot of kicks were kicked to the correct side of the centre of the goals but it didn't bend back as far as expected. (an indication that they at least - people on the actual ground and not around it - felt a breeze.) Doesn't account for the rank shanks though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back