Preview 2024 Preseason: Hawks v Dogs in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

We will get outsized in the air at times down back but we need to play to our strengths. Team defence, bring the ball to ground and rebound with speed and skill. Scrimshaw, Weddle and Sicily will be asked to play tall at times and they are more than capable of doing so. Frost or Phillips (but not both) is the big call!
I know he’s not a key defender, but Gunston is a tall that could play down back. He has previously done this and excelled at it. Would prefer him than Weddle, who I believe is better up field.

I know he’s not a key defender, but Gunston is a tall that could play down back. He has previously done this and excelled at it. Would prefer him than Weddle, who I believe is better up field.
My concern would be that he'd have to sit under the ball copping knees to the back a lot more frequently. With his longstanding back issues I don't know if he'd last too long.

HAWTHORN

B: Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, Ethan Phillips

HB: Jack Scrimshaw, James Sicily, Massimo D'Ambrosio

C: Karl Amon, James Worpel, Connor Macdonald

HF: Nick Watson, Mitch Lewis, Luke Breust

F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Finn Maginness

Foll: Ned Reeves, Henry Hustwaite, Cam Mackenzie

I/C: Jai Newcombe, Bodie Ryan, Max Ramsden, Lloyd Meek, Josh Ward, Blake Hardwick, Conor Nash, Sam Butler

HAWTHORN

B: Jarman Impey, Sam Frost, Ethan Phillips

HB: Jack Scrimshaw, James Sicily, Massimo D'Ambrosio

C: Karl Amon, James Worpel, Connor Macdonald

HF: Nick Watson, Mitch Lewis, Luke Breust

F: Jack Ginnivan, Mabior Chol, Finn Maginness

Foll: Ned Reeves, Henry Hustwaite, Cam Mackenzie

I/C: Jai Newcombe, Bodie Ryan, Max Ramsden, Lloyd Meek, Josh Ward, Blake Hardwick, Conor Nash, Sam Butler
No Weddle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unlike last week, time for real game intensity. All starts in the middle. Reeves, Newk, Nash and Worpel to set the standard.

Gunston used to get sent down in defence for the odd 5 minutes as a loose / spare at the end of a quarter when we wanted to prevent the opposition from getting a late score.

He hasn’t played in defence for his entire career. That’s completely incorrect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back