Training 2024 Preseason reports and discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched 3/4 of your game on the weekend. I think there is a bit to look forward to Hawks fans.
In your 20 mins of dominance you really cut the Bulldogs open. You did this in your forward line via
Ginnivian, Breust and a very promising Watson. You got virtually nothing from your key forwards Chol and Lewis.

You are a growing team and there will be plenty of inconsistency, some shocking qrts here and there.
What you can be excited about though, when your onballers get on top that forward line is going to give
you some great football to watch.
That makes going to the games far more enjoyable when you are a club making your way back up the ladder.
Nothing worse when you are a lower rung side and you dominant a qrt or two but cannot score.
Trust me, Crows fans now what this feels like. It can change quickly.

I watched 3/4 of your game on the weekend. I think there is a bit to look forward to Hawks fans.
In your 20 mins of dominance you really cut the Bulldogs open. You did this in your forward line via
Ginnivian, Breust and a very promising Watson. You got virtually nothing from your key forwards Chol and Lewis.

You are a growing team and there will be plenty of inconsistency, some shocking qrts here and there.
What you can be excited about though, when your onballers get on top that forward line is going to give
That makes going to the games far more enjoyable when you are a club making your way back up the ladder.
Nothing worse when you are a lower rung side and you dominant a qrt or two but cannot score.
I think your club has given us a good look at what multiple quality small forwards can do for a team.
Genuine excitement and a compelling reason to play attacking football, which all fans enjoy.

Last edited:
PLAYERINJURYESTIMATED RETURN
James BlanckKneeSeason
Will DayFoot4-6 weeks
Denver Grainger-BarrasToe10-12 weeks
Changkuoth JiathHamstring4-6 weeks
Bailey MacdonaldLeg4-6 weeks
Will McCabeBack10-12 weeks
Seamus MitchellJaw4-6 weeks
Dylan MooreGlandular feverTest
Chad WingardAchilles2-4 weeks

James BlanckKneeSeason
Will DayFoot4-6 weeks

Surely Seamus can't be that far away? Must have been a seriously bad broken jaw.

It hasn’t changed totally for you yet. A massive reliance on Walker who could hit a wall at any moment. Fremantle were well ahead of you at the end of 2022 and look at their fall in 2023. You still need to keep improving and adding talent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James BlanckKneeSeason
Will DayFoot4-6 weeks
How many defenders? The fact we have a team to go out there at all shows we have pretty decent depth imo

Chad aiming for Box Hill, R2.
Wow.
Jordan Peele Me Time GIF by CBS

Chad back creates some interesting selection decisions. If he’s fit (and may take some time at box hill) then hard to see Sam not picking him given history.

But Moore, croc, ginni, Breust, Watson, chad doesn’t fit in one team.

James BlanckKneeSeason
Will DayFoot4-6 weeks
Does look a bit rough but 4-6 weeks isn't enough to tank the season.

Looking at this I'm most frustrated for McCabe, get drafted and have the first half of your first season ruined by a back injury. Back injuries are by far the most limiting in terms of what you can do to keep active, train and condition. Especially for a tall, developing 19 year old.

Midfield is still healthy though, despite Day. Him not being out there really gives an opportunity to Hus, Mackenzie and Ward - even though it sucks to not have one of our best out there I really like what each of those guys bring and any of them could absolutely break out because of it.

With all this talk of a new look forward line, the success of it will come down to one man alone- Mitch Lewis. The key to us kicking winning scores is having him playing every week and having him in good form. Everyone around him is a bit player by comparison.
I’d add Breust as well. Scores or contributes to multiple goals very week and highly efficient (doesn’t waste many chances or half chances). And just as importantly gets a very good and close checking opponent every week freeing up teammates.

Both Lewis and chol were a bit timid in the contest vs the dogs. Hopefully saving themselves for the real stuff. We can clearly score with a very quick transition (as can most teams) but also at times going to need the talls bringing the ball to ground or providing a marking options when our ball movement is slowed down.

James BlanckKneeSeason
Will DayFoot4-6 weeks
Is that "estimated return" the number of weeks from now, or when the injury first occurred?

I'm hoping for the latter.

Yes, as a forward those are his issue - awareness, "smarts" and concrete hands. He has the athleticism.

Which is why I wonder how he would have gone as a defender, where is job is to simply beat someone else. That mitigates most of his issues because he'd be following someone else around.

I'm not saying we should have kept him or anything like that, I just think maybe it's an unexplored avenue for him. He didn't get a chance to do that due to injuries, and then being moved forward.

His explosiveness was never up to it. As a forward, this was more/not completely mitigated because he could watch the play unfold, try and work out where he should be, be on a constant little shuffle, and then try and use his athleticism and size as attributes. Again, I said try. ;)

As a backman who needed to keep his eye on an opponent and not have the luxury of just watching the play unfold upfield, he was up against big forwards who are EXTREMELY athletic, more twitchy in their muscle makeup, and when they got moving for a lead or up and back, Kosi never had even close to the explosive movement needed to keep up. Always 5m behind in the first 10.

Just one of those cases of a kid who has some of the makeup required to be a professional athlete in our game, but lacking in too many others to be real quality.

Stood out like dogs balls from the very beginning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back