Preview 2024 Preseason: Hawks v Dogs in Tassie

Remove this Banner Ad

Just on Chol, last week he was much more attacking in the contest and seemed a bit more dangerous in the air. I do wonder if he was being a bit more conservative in this match due to the shoulder issue he had. Hopefully this isn't gonna be one of those injuries that is managed through the year and then requires surgery at the end of the year.

Let's not start judging him on one performance. It's a long season and last thing you want is injuries right before round 1. I'll reserve any judgement until we have a few season games to review.

Our issue as highlighted above was allowing double the inside 50's, you won't see many teams win games when there defence is constantly under siege.

The tape for this game will be highly beneficial for review ahead of round 1. I think the club will be happy with the lessons they can take out of the game.

Also, why are we playing Finn in the back pocket? The last thing we want is the ball in his or Frost's hands back there.
But he destroyed Weightman - I think it is good he can add another string to his bow. Adds flexibility to the team.

Was there a particular turn over/s you weren't happy with?

Keen on some observations around Ward. Thought he was quite underwhelming tonight. 11 touches from 73% game time
Not in the business of kicking a young fella around but he's better than that.

Where is he best suited?

I must be in the minority, but I thought he was really strong in the first half and I was thrilled to see that extra bit of pace both he and Peter Burge have been promoting.

The disappointing part was that he appeared to be completely removed from the stoppages in the second half, and the wing can be death valley when your team is being dominated.

Last edited:
I sure hope so, more of a Hale impact in time would be nice
Ramsden needs to play the Hale role. Chol needs to play the forward role. We played our best last year with two forwards (Lewis/Ryan) with a mobile ruck (Kosi). I think that is the key to success. Let Chol/Lewis work out how to play together and we will be fine.

Was mentioned after game (by Mitchell I believe) they found themselves in a predicament last year that he was either tagging or not in the team so needed to get some positional variety in his game
Fine to experiment in practice matches. In the real stuff there’s only one role he can perform to AFL standard. Don’t want the ball in his hands. If he’s in the side in a proper game and we are getting crushed in the middle like we were yesterday , he will be put on an opposing gun.

Just on Chol, last week he was much more attacking in the contest and seemed a bit more dangerous in the air. I do wonder if he was being a bit more conservative in this match due to the shoulder issue he had. Hopefully this isn't gonna be one of those injuries that is managed through the year and then requires surgery at the end of the year.

Let's not start judging him on one performance. It's a long season and last thing you want is injuries right before round 1. I'll reserve any judgement until we have a few season games to review.

Our issue as highlighted above was allowing double the inside 50's, you won't see many teams win games when there defence is constantly under siege.

The tape for this game will be highly beneficial for review ahead of round 1. I think the club will be happy with the lessons they can take out of the game.
He was def looking after himself out there. At one stage he turned his taped shoulder away from a contest to protect it. Just hope it isn’t something that is going to linger during the season.

Both have runs on the board. And have delivered in big games.

Not scapegoating off one practice game. A top 10 pick in his 3rd senior season should be shining. Not ‘still finding his way’. Hence my concern.
Other than 2-3 in below list, majority of them are still finding their way FYI.

Lets hold on to our pitchforks pls.

1709441372163.png

I have had a think about the game before i responded to this thread. Here are my thoughts. A lot of what everyone has said about our first half is true. A lot to look forward to frenchie vs hus fight is still intriguing. Ward was influential in that second qtr when we controlled the ball.

Our forward line looked dynamic and it was great having players hit the scoreboard. A lot of positives

Which is why the second half was a dissapointing. There is no other way to look at it. I think the players themselves would agree. Our defense was inundated with the ball coming in that much. Non competitive in the middle of the ground.

Yes its a practice match but we r in no position to cruise. We need to keep playing the way we want. Practice improves us and improves the teams confidence in our structures and style of play. Its easy to blow this away as praccy match but i doubt sammy is. He would be dissapointed by the second half. Team falling into old habits. We have two weeks to focus and get our sights set on the start of the season.

Its easy to say that we r young but the media will come for sam if these performances continue in the first few rounds given who we play. Its not an over reaction but what i know from what happened last year.

We need to come out with a strong performance in rnd 1. 4 qtrs thats what i want to see

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We didn’t look sharp at all. It was as though the entire squad hadn’t touched a footy since the Fremantle game last year.
Yep our skill level was scrappy all game.

Noticed a few players slipping over too. The Wiz did a couple of times so good experience to play a preseason game there.

I have had a think about the game before i responded to this thread. Here are my thoughts. A lot of what everyone has said about our first half is true. A lot to look forward to frenchie vs hus fight is still intriguing. Ward was influential in that second qtr when we controlled the ball.

Our forward line looked dynamic and it was great having players hit the scoreboard. A lot of positives

Which is why the second half was a dissapointing. There is no other way to look at it. I think the players themselves would agree. Our defense was inundated with the ball coming in that much. Non competitive in the middle of the ground.

Yes its a practice match but we r in no position to cruise. We need to keep playing the way we want. Practice improves us and improves the teams confidence in our structures and style of play. Its easy to blow this away as praccy match but i doubt sammy is. He would be dissapointed by the second half. Team falling into old habits. We have two weeks to focus and get our sights set on the start of the season.

Its easy to say that we r young but the media will come for sam if these performances continue in the first few rounds given who we play. Its not an over reaction but what i know from what happened last year.

We need to come out with a strong performance in rnd 1. 4 qtrs thats what i want to see
i dont think individual performances in a practice game are particularly enlightening. i would certainly expect Worpel and Nash to be more competitive and give us a more even contest in the middle, for example. players will often look after their bodies and go 70-80% to a contest, especially if they have a slight niggle.

however bigger-picture trends are definitely relevant from practice games and one-way running when the other team gets their tail up is not something that we can afford to do given both our youth and our undermanned backline

Facts:
1. Dogs rolled out a top 4 midfield that are finals conditioned and goal kickers (Bont, Libber, Treloar, English), including the best mid in the game. This allows others on the fringe to flourish, ie. Sanders, Caleb Daniel, Harmes, anyone else who can stand upright. They also have McCrae to come back and Bailey Smith out injured.
2. Dogs have enormous talent up forward with Naughton, Jamal and others can scrap around.
3. Besides Jai, our mids were very disappointing in Q3 and Q4 (Worps and Nash not in same class as opposition) and this led to torrent of inside 50s. No backline would do much better under that.
4. Dogs will thrash a lot of sides this year with their list.
5. No panic at all. Good signs in Q2 and lots of upside with younger mids coming through (would also like CmAc give more of a go in there) and return of Will Day.

It's not about results, but structure & systems. For those touting the fact that it's only a practice match, there's a well known saying that, "you practice like you play!" It was a dress rehearsal for Round One & dress rehearsals are supposed to be the final preparation before the actual event. Seems like the Dogs treated it that way. Our inability to stop a flow on in both games, reeks of last year. That's very concerning. I know we're a work in progress, but a regression or stagnation in 2024 would be demoralising. Fingers crossed we can keep moving in the right direction.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back