Preview Hawks vs Lions

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get the feeling we'll be competitive for the first 3 quarters but Hawks will show their class in the 4th. Really hoping the likes of Bewick, Rockliff and Cutler can make the returns because that'd be huge for us. Really desperate for a strong effort by the boys after what has been a disastrous few weeks.

Not sure where to post this. So here will do.

I have thought about it all day.

I like the two rucks, lets run with it.

I prefer Freeman over Walker - just can't ever see Walker being a strong forward option.

So - Walker goes down back, he is good at those floating intercept marks and is not a diabolical user of the ball, he also runs hard as anyone. Would have a bit to learn but i reckon he fits the mould.

Froward.. Freeman, Schack, resting ruck (maybe Roger)

Backs.. Andrews, Merrett, paine, walker

Am I missing an obvious pitfall? apart from the obvious pitfalls.. like.. it probley won't be good.

Might be that other freeman we had and he just made a mistake

Not sure though, could be referring to the Saint Kilda guy.

We really won't rest at getting the jump on the Pies and Saints will we? Sneaking Nathan Freeman up north and out on the field under an assumed name...

If we can show a similar imagination and determination with our game plans, we are heading undefeated from now until September!

I think we can have Freeman, Walker and Schache in the forward line but that would only work if we have our smalls providing defensive pressure and our mids willing to defend if a turnover is created. Green has to be the worst front runner I have ever seen in my life and along with Taylor they don't provide any defensive pressure at all. Keays is seriously the only forward that does this well and its unfair that a 2nd gamer has to carry the defensive work of 3 or 4 players. It's our smalls in the forward line that are killing us not the talls.

Before the Miracle on Grass.....

Daytime game.
We were expected to lose.
Alot of young players.
Goal kicking was shocking too.

Coach not expected to be here next year? - Wallsy also had advised he was off for the next year.

Leppa (who didn't play that game), Lambert - you blokes need to show this to our team in the leadup imo :)

"Coach not expected to be here next year? - Wallsy also had advised he was off for the next year.

Leppa (who didn't play that game), Lambert - you blokes need to show this to our team in the lead imo"

One of the most memorable games at the Gabba.

Hawthorn standing in the shade of the old grandstand - Walls posting it out to the team.

They played like a completely different team in that quarter. Hawks just wanted it to end.

Oh the joy walking out among all the Hawthorn supporters

Daytime game.
Alot of young players.

Coach not expected to be here next year? - Wallsy also had advised he was off for the next year.

Leppa (who didn't play that game), Lambert - you blokes need to show this to our team in the leadup imo :)

At the time, the Bears were third last on the ladder, still smarting from a heavy loss - at home - to Collingwood ;)

After that, we won all but one H&A game and played our first final.

Last edited:

Daytime game.
Alot of young players.

I was too young to remember that game but in the past few years it's become a YouTube favourite of mine. What a game. Those Bears never gave up and you can see in this team the foundation for a premiership winning side. Almost snatched the cup in 1996 but we had bigger plans in the coming years. I miss the Bears.

Daytime game.
Alot of young players.

I remember watching that game on TV. As a Fitzroy fan, the Bears became my second favourite team that year with their improbable run to the finals.

Perhaps with that nostalgia in mind some enterprising Lions fans could make a sign pointing out to the Hawks where the shade is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks are still searching for their best form...Lions will play them back into form just nicely. Hawks by plenty

Born down in a dead man's town,
the first kick I took was when I hit the ground.
End up like a dog that's been beat too much,
til you spend half your life just to cover it up.

Yep - pretty much sums up our last 8-10 years lol :p

Not confident - but, stupidly, always hopeful :)

I remember watching that game on TV. As a Fitzroy fan, the Bears became my second favourite team that year with their improbable run to the finals.

Perhaps with that nostalgia in mind some enterprising Lions fans could make a sign pointing out to the Hawks where the shade is.

"IF YOU WIN THE TOSS, KICK WITH THE SHADE"

Flying up for the game. We will win and I will be to able say as Mike Wiliamson said to that RoyBoy Butch Gale all those years ago " I tipped this!" Looking forward to the game.

:). The weather is superb at the moment as well!

Daytime game.
Alot of young players.

Still one of my favorite bears games

Still one of my favorite bears games

Apart from the three premierships, this was my best day at the footy ever.

It was said at the time that this was actually the beginning of a real football club and I think there was /still is a great deal of truth in that.

We are into $7 to win in from $13 earlier in the week. The move is on! Go Lions!

Call me crazy, but I think we can win. Just need to bring our best and kick straight, we can catch them asleep.

I didn't expect Rockliff to play because I thought that we'd be cautious but where is bewick?
Still struggling with that groin injury I suppose. Will be back next week you'd imagine. Disappointing that Rocky and Bewick can't play but Cutler is a good addition. We look so one paced coming out of the back line without him. His line breaking ability makes it easier for us to clear out of the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back