Hawthorn v Geelong, AFL Round 1 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

As a neutral, was just wondering whether cats fans reckon this makes up for the 89, 08 GF losses. A few non-cats fans reckon it might but just wanted to hear from some catters? I'm honestly not too sure & just curious..

No - but you can never get those games back again so for now the best they can do is continue to beat them. As previous supporters have said winning 09, 11 & beating them in the finals in '11 (and so easily) eases the pain slightly.

Although I don't think it's got a lot to do with 89 anymore - too many supporters don't even remember that (although I certainly do!) & we were never expected to win it - 2008 will always be the one that hurts the most for me.

Doesn't hurt when you get a couple of first rounders when you've finished top cause your best player leaves to a franchise. But their recruiters don't seem to need super high picks to pick up gems. And don't forget most of these kids have learned the caper in their 2's side and know their role before they come in, and they are playing alongside some of the all time greats of the club. Excellent drafting, excellent development and a wining environment.
Um, I think recent evidence confirms that we'd be better off still having Ablett and not having the picks...

Cats too good.

Was it just round 1 or did both teams look off the pace a bit at times? Some shocking turnovers from both teams. Realistically, probably just rd 1 - would prefer if they saved this fixture till round 5 or later.

Was not the best in the set but very pleasing. The contribution Geelong got from young midfielders while Hawthorn needed the brilliant Mitchell to keep them in it would worry me more if I was a Hawthorn fan than the loss. Brilliant cameo from Hill mind you.

Um, I think recent evidence confirms that we'd be better off still having Ablett and not having the picks...
Do you really think so? I thought it was actually the best thing that could possibly have happened for you at a time when your list was rapidly ageing.
Anyway the question I was answering was how do the Cats manage to have so many talented young players, not attempting to make a detailed analyses of the cost benefit of Ablett leaving. As such it was a superficial answer but I think it would be pretty easy to argue my side of that argument. If ever a side could cover losing the best player in the game that side was Geelong. And your astute drafting ensures you were never going to burn the picks.

Buddy yawning whilst doing a warm down, late night hey Buddy, and what's with the guy taking notes whilst Buddy is laying on the floor, wasn't a journo either, where is footy going?

AS long as Andy D is CEO,the game is heading to the shitter.

Was not the best in the set but very pleasing. The contribution Geelong got from young midfielders while Hawthorn needed the brilliant Mitchell to keep them in it would worry me more if I was a Hawthorn fan than the loss. Brilliant cameo from Hill mind you.

Every now and again, someone posts something on BigFooty with some thought behind it. Totally agree. Mitchell was great but geez, he had to work hard for it whereas the Geelong midfield worked for each other. Hill was great early but faded - to be expected of a young player but there was no-one there to take his place - Savage and Smith would have been the most obvious but both were barely sighted.

My biggest beef though is Roughead. Buddy cops a lot of flak but Roughead for whatever reason gets off relatively scott free. He was awful in the 2012 GF, was awful today. As a vice-captain, he offers little leadership. Needs to improve dramatically for Hawthorn to have any chance this year.

Buddy so overrated :p

Guess fans have their own views on that one but always happy when he's lined-up to play against us, never in doubt although I expected a much bigger win but 4 points in the bag and we now take on a team who humiliated us this same time last year.

Geez, Hawks are so mentally fragile against Geelong. If they couldn't win today against the Geelong seconds and with what looked like a bloody good run from the umpires, I don't think they ever will.

Every now and again, someone posts something on BigFooty with some thought behind it. Totally agree. Mitchell was great but geez, he had to work hard for it whereas the Geelong midfield worked for each other. Hill was great early but faded - to be expected of a young player but there was no-one there to take his place - Savage and Smith would have been the most obvious but both were barely sighted.

My biggest beef though is Roughead. Buddy cops a lot of flak but Roughead for whatever reason gets off relatively scott free. He was awful in the 2012 GF, was awful today. As a vice-captain, he offers little leadership. Needs to improve dramatically for Hawthorn to have any chance this year.

Rioli probably has to play there if he can stay fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Buddy so overrated :p

Guess fans have their own views on that one but always happy when he's lined-up to play against us, never in doubt although I expected a much bigger win but 4 points in the bag and we now take on a team who humiliated us this same time last year.

He was on a sensational defender today Bobby!

Maybe there is something too having your own VFL team, but also establishing good relationships between respective coaches, players etc. All part of the club. Probably a reason why the Cats youth seem to make the transition to AFL easier

Chris Scott has one sideburn longer than the other.

countbackwardspanish.jpg

As a neutral, was just wondering whether cats fans reckon this makes up for the 89, 08 GF losses. A few non-cats fans reckon it might but just wanted to hear from some catters? I'm honestly not too sure & just curious..

It doesn't make up for 2008 - it will remain the great disappointment of a wonderful era but I wonder whether over time the club is better for it

I have a soft spot for Hawthorn (most of family barrack for them), but I'm just loving this run by the Cats over them. The only disappointment was that the Hawks couldn't scratch out one more goal... :D

Do you really think so? I thought it was actually the best thing that could possibly have happened for you at a time when your list was rapidly ageing.
Anyway the question I was answering was how do the Cats manage to have so many talented young players, not attempting to make a detailed analyses of the cost benefit of Ablett leaving. As such it was a superficial answer but I think it would be pretty easy to argue my side of that argument. If ever a side could cover losing the best player in the game that side was Geelong. And your astute drafting ensures you were never going to burn the picks.
For the future, maybe. But Ablett right now is the best player in the league and would make Geelong better.

But yeah, the Cats have a happy knack for picking great youngsters. Horlin-Smith got about 5 minutes late in the game today but he's going to be an absolute gun, for example.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back