Review Hawthorn v North Round 5 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not normally a LA basher by any means and tbh the way he played as a whole as the sub wasn't unexpected or necessarily that bad, but again, when the ball was in dispute he held back and squibbed a contest.

It was in the last quarter after hodge kicked it to the wing. The ball bounced between him and a Hawthorn player an he chose not to contest the ball. He lost that contest, the ball goes to gunston in the square and we lose by a kick.

I can handle skills errors, but we should not accept anything less than 100% at the ball and the man. Scott needs to make a statement, not just for LAs sake but for the whole team.

Dropping a scapegoat regardless of the reason is not making a statement.

You missed my point. I'm not saying LA was a scapegoat, I'm saying he didn't do what everyone is EXPECTED to do. If you can't drop a player if they break a team rule, when can you?

No I get it, what I am saying is LA has been the sacrificial lamb before. To make a statement you need to drop someone who is not this, or multiple players for not adhering to team rules.

No I get it, what I am saying is LA has been the sacrificial lamb before. To make a statement you need to drop someone who is not this, or multiple players for not adhering to team rules.
Ah, I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure Brad's ever dropped someone for this. It would be a statement to do it for the first time.

The last time I remember this occurring was LA again in Pattersons in the H&A game. He didn't get dropped the next week.

I'm not normally a LA basher by any means and tbh the way he played as a whole as the sub wasn't unexpected or necessarily that bad, but again, when the ball was in dispute he held back and squibbed a contest.

It was in the last quarter after hodge kicked it to the wing. The ball bounced between him and a Hawthorn player an he chose not to contest the ball. He lost that contest, the ball goes to gunston in the square and we lose by a kick.

I can handle skills errors, but we should not accept anything less than 100% at the ball and the man. Scott needs to make a statement, not just for LAs sake but for the whole team.
YEEEEEEEEP It was noted, plus that lack of decisive matter in the frantic skelter of those dying minutes he held up allowing the hawk defenders to ru back into defensive position........our ability to kick the ball into areas where it allows our players to run forward and gain advantage is at times non existent.

16th in league for marks i50.

This is clearly the biggest problem we have atm. Can't bomb it i50 and expect Drew and co to take pack marks all day. No wonder Lindsay's having a field day, the ball's always spoiled down to his feet.

would be nice to see breakdown of contested v uncontested, reckon we wouldnt too far off with pure contested, it is the uncontested, unstoppable kicks to advantage, or little chips to unguarded players eg mitchell that inflate the stats IMO

Ah, I see what you're saying. But I'm not sure Brad's ever dropped someone for this. It would be a statement to do it for the first time.

The last time I remember this occurring was LA again in Pattersons in the H&A game. He didn't get dropped the next week.
I thought that was the game he was dropped for (kicked a couple too iirc)?

It was interesting to note against Hawthorn, when they broke quickly through the middle, they ALWAYS had open players inside 50 that we couldn't man up. The only way we stopped them was by slowing them down in midfield, to stop the fast break. But each time we couldn't do that, they had multiple players open with no defender on them.

We, on the other hand, could never create open targets during our fast breaks. Why?

I'd suggest, most of their targets would have been players streaming into 50 to get ahead of play, rather than forwards waiting for the ball. We must probably don't have enough players prepared to run forward during our fast breaks.

We were fairly ordinary last year as well, 12th I think in opponent differential, 8th for inside 50 differential. The whole triple towers thing exposing opponents in the air is a nonce.
Not saying that it's working currently, but the theory would be that if the tall targets don't mark it, they'll bring it to ground. One of the big problems this year has been that our crumbers (with the exception of Thomas) have been out of form or suspended.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not saying that it's working currently, but the theory would be that if the tall targets don't mark it, they'll bring it to ground. One of the big problems this year has been that our crumbers (with the exception of Thomas) have been out of form or suspended.
Surely two talls is enough for that though. Petrie would be close to the best player in the AFL at smashing packs and causing a spill. Hansen would be close to one of the worst for his size.

We sacrificed defensive pressure inside F50 and mobility for not much at all IMO.

It was interesting to note against Hawthorn, when they broke quickly through the middle, they ALWAYS had open players inside 50 that we couldn't man up. The only way we stopped them was by slowing them down in midfield, to stop the fast break. But each time we couldn't do that, they had multiple players open with no defender on them.

We, on the other hand, could never create open targets during our fast breaks. Why?

I'd suggest, most of their targets would have been players streaming into 50 to get ahead of play, rather than forwards waiting for the ball. We must probably don't have enough players prepared to run forward during our fast breaks.

The main reason for this is many of our repeat 50 entries were caused by our press which actually caused our forward 50 to be clogged. Catch 22 really, we caused a lot of turnovers by pressing up, but conversley there was no room for the forwards to move when we had the ball.

I think we had an extra man in our F50 a lot of the time so Hawthorn could not get Birchall or Mitchell free stc and set up off HB like they usually do. From there it was pretty much a Pagans Paddock situation which Rioli reveled in.

I have secured UNREAL Medallion Club tickets,
but I will only be able to get to a small number of games. I will need to sell the other tickets , individually or in one lot. There are 2 seats just near the wing, with a car parking spot under the stadium! You have access to luxurios dining and bar facilities.
Would make a fantastic xmas or birthday gift.
Why not be one of the first to enjoy the ultimate in football luxury!
Nut Shell

1) Swallow - Comfortably the most possessions on the ground (35) and went at 83% efficiency. His stoppage work was especially good.

2) Wells - Linked up with Goldy particularly well. 14 of his 27 possessions contested, 10 clearances, 10 I50's and a goal. As always, you don't realise how much contested footy he's getting because he gets out of congestion so well. Decision making and execution first class.

3) Thompson - Kept Buddy to 12 touches and no goals while getting 20 himself. Got beaten on the lead a few times but there's not a player in the comp who could compete with that delivery and Franklin's pace. Had Buddy completely flat by the end of the game. I think he won every single body on body contest.

4) MacMillan - Moved back to defence which was unexpected but showed just how far he's come. He won so many 50/50 contests, particularly late in the game. 19 possessions and I can't think of a bad one.

5) Thomas - You won't see many better 6 possession games. Just chalk up another 5 to the Coleman leader. Took his chances.

6) Ziebell - Was beastly in the contest. Had 26 disposals (15 contested), 9 clearances, 8 I50's and a goal. Let himself down in a big way with his decision making going I50. Two occasions when he had time he missed the target by trying to kick on the instep. The other one came late in the game when he tried to kick goal of the year when he needed to centre it. Had one other bad turnover on the wing. Tough game to grade because he did have a massive influence in the middle but also had a team high 5 clangers.

7) Goldstein - Tapwork was beautiful. He was a big reason why we dominated the clearances. We beat Hawthorn 47-26 in the hitouts and he had 38 of them. Fair effort considering the opposition had 3 good ruckmen. Did shit all around the ground as usual. I'm not sure what his instructions are when the opposition has it I50 but Bailey kicking 3 in a quarter was not a good look for him.

8) Cunnington - 22 disposals (15 contested) and 6 clearances and I thought he made some terrific decisions under pressure. Had two really bad moments. One when he attempted to fend off Rioli and the other a handball that was smothered in the middle of the ground when he just tried to do too much. Should've cost us a goal.

9) Black - 11 possessions, 2 goals and 8 tackles. His 11 touches were all class. He's a beautiful kick but also a really strong handballer. We've seen a few times now that he can create opportunities for others with his hands. The tackling was a big plus and shows that he's a lot more physically developed. Couldn't manage to beat Stratton (a fine player) in the air which is really the only criticism you could make.

10) Atley - Spent time on Breust, Burgoyne and Rioli. Cyril got 1 goal on him and that was it I think. 19 possessions. Used his pace and evasiveness to turn backs to the wall defence into attack on quite a few occasions.

11) Gibson - 23 disposals and one of his cleaner games. I'd actually go so far as to say his ball use was good. Only 2 inside 50's is about standard and sums up the absence of any hurt factor in his game. Had his usual sprayed shot for goal on the run but made up for it with a good one from 40m out under a bit of pressure. Tried to brake a couple of tackles and got caught because he has the strength of a first year draftee.

12) Wright - Played on Birchall and largely kept him out of the game (19). Had 10 touches himself and competed pretty well when the ball came his way. Would've gone up about 6 spots in my rankings if he'd taken the bloody chance from 30 out in the last quarter. Terrible miss.

13) Grima - Had Hale mostly and Roughead for a bit. Again he didn't have a goal kicked on him (tally stands at 3 for the season). Ball use was average. Turned it over twice with rushed kicks around the body.

14) Petrie - Took 8 marks, including some good ones, mostly up the ground. Did not work well with Maj I50. Missed a costly set shot. The bombed goal from 55 was cool. The lazy chip kick to Thomas was not.
15) McMahon - Had Gunston for a lot of the day who did quite a bit of roaming up the ground. Gunston had 19 and a goal and McMahon didn't give us much offensively (13 touches).

16) Firrito - Spent most of his time on Roughead who only kicked 1. The one he kicked (well, it hit the post) came as a result of a FA from Spud off the ball which happens all too often. Had 13 touches and burnt the footy a couple of times. The worst one was a switch with about a minute to go in the quarter which cost a goal.

17) Mullett - 17 disposals and a goal. The goal was a highlight in an otherwise poor game. Turned it over a couple of times, turned it over BADLY from a kick-in and gave a weak contest vs Gunston in the goalsquare.

18) Adams - 17 disposals and a goal. He was a real momentum killer. Ruined two fast breaks; one with a bad handball and another with a shit sideways chip kick. Made a bad decision to bomb from 50 instead of going to the top of the square.

19) Daw - Shit kicking for goal cost him. Dwayne was onto it on his debut when he so beautifully stated "he's not a banana man". Needs to learn to kick around the body. Run under the ball too often and couldn't hold his marks. Needs to sort it out with Petrie because too often they flew at the same time and drew the Hawthorn talls to the footy. Created a goal with his chase down of Burgoyne.

20) Hine - I'm probably missing something but it looked to me like he played hb/mid on some of Hawthorn's lesser players (Osborne, Shiels). I can't understand that. He's not talented enough to get a game if he's not shutting someone down every week. Had 10 disposals, tried to take on Rioli once which was embarrassing and badly missed a set shot.

21) Bastinac - 16 disposals and cost us with a few turnovers.

Sub) Anthony - 4 possessions in a quarter is not good enough from a sub. Predictably, his 2 kicks nearly went to the moon and eventually come down to the opposition.

Kicking for goal (Maj, Petrie, Wright, Gibson) and kicking I50 (Ziebell, Adams, Bastinac, Petrie) cost us badly. We created more than enough opportunities through some dominant work in the midfield.

19) Daw - Shit kicking for goal cost him. Dwayne was onto it on his debut when he so beautifully stated "he's not a banana man". Needs to learn to kick around the body. Run under the ball too often and couldn't hold his marks. Needs to sort it out with Petrie because too often they flew at the same time and drew the Hawthorn talls to the footy. Created a goal with his chase down of Burgoyne.

I watched the game last night again and maybe I missed it but I didn't see anyone (and can't recall seeing it at the game) come and give Maj some encouragement, a bum tap or anything, the week before everyone was all over him with support when he took the mark. I think Drew should be going straight up to him when he takes a mark and give him a 'well done Maj' and some direction, 'kick the goal' or 'pass it to Lindsay'. It will be interesting to see what happens today, hopefully he can kick a couple, Go Roos!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back