Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
I hope that isn't true, I hate things like that. I only recently got around to finishing Boardwalk Empire, and that had a bullshit twist like that at the end too

I thought the end of Boardwalk Empire was appropriate for how Nucky lived his life. He had been through the ringer in his world, he was also a stone cold killer, had a hard growing up knew what he wanted and got it, so I don't think his aftermath his story, should have been to live peacefully on his earnings, what happened was pretty normal for gangsters. And believe me Nucky Thomson (Johnson the real one) was a gangster alright.

But I always barracked for him, as we do for Gangsters, ha ha . That show I loved the opening sequence with the empties floating in and the sea washing over his nice shoes, no damage but!
Loved the guitar, and the theme music brilliant. I reckon one of the best of the Big Gun shows of the last 15 to 20 years!

I thought the end of Boardwalk Empire was appropriate for how Nucky lived his life. He had been through the ringer in his world, he was also a stone cold killer, had a hard growing up knew what he wanted and got it, so I don't think his aftermath his story, should have been to live peacefully on his earnings, what happened was pretty normal for gangsters. And believe me Nucky Thomson (Johnson the real one) was a gangster alright.

But I always barracked for him, as we do for Gangsters, ha ha . That show I loved the opening sequence with the empties floating in and the sea washing over his nice shoes, no damage but!
Loved the guitar, and the theme music brilliant. I reckon one of the best of the Big Gun shows of the last 15 to 20 years!
All that was fine, I just didn't like the contrived nonsense about Jimmy's son coming back for revenge for someone who he either barely knew or knew only from visits to a prison/mental asylum.

But that's a whole different show ...

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
All that was fine, I just didn't like the contrived nonsense about Jimmy's son coming back for revenge for someone who he either barely knew or knew only from visits to a prison/mental asylum.

But that's a whole different show ...

Well out of the blue payback, the child had lost everything including his mother, for me those times would have been hard he would have known about things whether twisted the wrong way , he probably had his fathers anger , and his old man had been in the filth of the trenches in WW1, the kid was probably stuffed before he started, and he lived in that hard world. But that's just my opinion.
The truth about the real Nucky I am not sure how he died?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
One of the reasons I don’t watch CSI or NCIS etc...where they’re wrapped up in 43 minutes. I prefer the slower, expansive storytelling. Others prefer the former I guess...it’s a common complaint on this board...

I like a slow burn but they've got to keep it interesting along the journey. True Detective S1 was one of the best shows I've seen even when much of it was just dialog. Shows like Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, Leftovers have a better balance between slow burn and significant events each episode.

I may have also been frustrated with TD3 because I wanted to get back to the British show Endeavour that I've been smashing through because it's so good.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
If you're into theorising about what happened and is going to happen, I'd really recommend the True Detective sub-Reddit. It's really easy to get swept away with some of the theories, as they're very in-depth and well researched (it seems some people watch each episode multiple times during the week hunting for clues). However, it could potentially spoil the ending for you if one of the theories ends up being bang on the money.

That being said, you don't need to go to Reddit to know that the reporter turning out to be Julie in the current day is definitely not happening. Firstly, it doesn't make any sense at all why she'd be investigating it in this way and secondly, there is no way she's even close to 45 years old (which is how old Julie would be during those scenes).

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Not as good as season 1 but much better than season 2. Ali is brilliant and Dorff, suprisingly, is also really good.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Great return to form after season 2. Yeah its a slow burn and borrows very heavily from season 1 but I'm loving every frame, some of the cinematography is top notch and I never felt it drag once. Acting is fantastic all round, who knew Stevn Dorff had those kinda chops, very impressed.

So with the TV reporter (Eliza?) - how old do we reckon she is? She seems to have so much background information that nobody else seems to have known. Would it be too on the nose for her to turn out to be Lucy Purcell's daughter.

No chance IMO, yep way too on the nose.

Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I've recently finished my first re-watch of S2 and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it a second time around. Being able to binge it this time definitely helped with that.

I think S2's biggest problem was the shift to the city and having four leads instead of two just did not hit the mark at all with fans. The story was very convoluted and it doesn't really feel like it belongs in the True Detective universe but I think it would have been much more positively received if it went by any other name TBH.

Its good that S3 has got back to the classic formula but I'd recommend giving S2 another go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good ending. Tied up all the loose ends I could think off and and nice final chapter for these guys.

Rooker was great. Wish we got more of him but to come in for 1 scene like that and get right into the role was impressive.

Pretty much all the main cast deserve acting nominations. Very good season overall

Great ending.

No it doesn’t mean he died on the porch. I think it ties in to his former Viet days as a recon/tracker out on his own. I think I have to think about it more but I’m certain it’s not his death.

Really great ending in many respects, probably the best episode of the season. :thumbsu:

I've recently finished my first re-watch of S2 and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it a second time around. Being able to binge it this time definitely helped with that.

I think S2's biggest problem was the shift to the city and having four leads instead of two just did not hit the mark at all with fans. The story was very convoluted and it doesn't really feel like it belongs in the True Detective universe but I think it would have been much more positively received if it went by any other name TBH.

Its good that S3 has got back to the classic formula but I'd recommend giving S2 another go.

Agreed, season 2 suffers mostly due to comparisons with season 1 (and probably will more now with season 3 panning out the way it did). I had no issue with the location (aside from the way they reused some aerial shots, which felt clunky) or 4 leads, it was the convoluted plot that was the biggest issue. The beauty of 1 and 3 was they were nuanced character stories that fitted around some fairly straightforward, linear cases, whereas season 2 had so many plot threads weaving in and out of each other that it became more of a tangled mess, which distracted from the rest.

It was ambitious, but maybe too much so. That said, perhaps in the hands of a different director (rather than the 6 different ones it had, compared with 1 for s1 and 3 for s3), it might've been executed more successfully and more cohesively.

I think the end was more satisfying than the end to season 1 for me

Agreed. The journey to get there wasn't as good, but the payoff was much better I felt.

Sorry, was that last scene intimating he died on the porch or am I way off base?

I think it can be read multiple ways, he could've died, or it's simply a metaphor for him feeling that sense of 'closure' that both he and Roland didn't have earlier.

Beautifully poetic ending.

So many red herrings, but in a way it's one big bit of social commentary on conspiracy culture and how a case like this can affect people in different, complex and painful ways.

Hats off to Nic Pizzolatto, he has delivered one hell of a story.

Beautifully poetic ending.

So many red herrings, but in a way it's one big bit of social commentary on conspiracy culture and how a case like this can affect people in different, complex and painful ways.

Hats off to Nic Pizzolatto, he has delivered one hell of a story.

I don't think there were any more red herrings in this season than in season 1.

What I liked most was how many times it played on expectations. You can see the pieces coming together and think you know what's coming next, but it turns out there's a different explanation (rather than it being deliberately misleading). Can think of at least 3 instances where this happened.

Also interesting that Woody and Matthew were Executive producers

Fukunaga is too. All 3 got those credits for season 1 (presumably part of the deal to get their involvement) and kept them for the duration of the show.

crafty_bernardo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 5, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think a lot of times executive producer doesn't really mean much. After the success of True Detective they probably negotiated to keep their names in the credits simply for status or monetary benefits rather than any meaningful contribution to the actual show.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back