Competitions Health and fitness

Remove this Banner Ad

Used to do a bit of powerlifting back in the day. Haven't been back in the gym since COVID hit, but running a lot more and doing some calisthenics. Progressing towards a full lever hold at the moment, and a planche as well. 5km time is at 4:57 per kilometre which I'm struggling to break.

Currently on a diet break after getting down from 86kg to 75kg. Off-season I'm usually mid-high 80s, sometimes low 90s. Currently, sitting at about 77kg. I'll get through til Monday then try and diet down to 74kg before reversing back up.

Jesusssssssssss that’s an elite effort!! Well done!

how did you train for it?
I dunno. I was running once a week - doing about 5-6 km then I saw a challenge on Strava to try and do 100km in a month.

Once I did the math i realised I would have to start hitting the double digits to get there so I just did it. Once I got over 10 I just wanted to see if I could go further the next time.

I'm working the opposite way. I was 115 start of 2019. Worked down to 92 by June 2020 and am hovering at 95 now... Would love to get down to 85 and am hanging for gyms to reopen... Currently biking 3x a week and running... Hit a total distance of 100km for the month of June and a PB of 14km in one run.

Awesome work dc.

My story & stats are not too dissimilar and lockdown has somehow helped me lose weight. I began 2020 on 101 kgs (I'd been as high as 110 a few years earlier). Lost 14 kgs during 2020 and another 1-2kgs so far this year to leave me around 85/86kgs.

I run 8kms once a week at 5 minute splits, but that's more for the fitness side of things as much as the weight loss.

If anyone is after weight loss, I'd recommend 2 things:

(1) Eat as small a lunch as possible, whether that be fruit, 1 muesli bar or even just a handful of biccies with your coffee. It takes a little while to make your appetite adjust to this, but it is doable.

(2) Walk as much as possible. Spare time is obviously the tricky part here, but I find that this assists the weight loss more than anything and is something (if you have the time) can keep doing consistently. Pedometers (step counters) are handy here; I tend to average between 15,000-17,000 steps a day. That sounds a lot, but is basically the equivalent of walking 2.5-3 hours walking per day.

And the little things count. For example; when you take your next train trip, look at the people on the platform: 95% are standing still looking at their phones. Walk up and down the platform and if you're waiting 5 minutes, that's 500 steps. When you go out and get take-away dinner that usually takes 10 minutes after order = There's another 1,000 steps.

As for gym-work, I've tried but usually end up hurting my back or shoulder. That then adversely affects my other exercise, so I prefer my walking & running.

I feel like it’s subjective but I felt like I made more progress when I ditched myfitnesspal and I found intuitive eating and not fully cutting out certain foods more beneficial.

I did cut out soft drink, I only ever have it on occasions.

I feel like it’s subjective but I felt like I made more progress when I ditched myfitnesspal and I found intuitive eating and not fully cutting out certain foods more beneficial.

I use MyFitnessPal but never fall for the restrictive eating of cutting out certain foods. It's all numbers and I find a few guilty pleasures make dieting much easier than trying to be a monk.

I use MyFitnessPal but never fall for the restrictive eating of cutting out certain foods. It's all numbers and I find a few guilty pleasures make dieting much easier than trying to be a monk.
Yeah I guess it depends what your goal is. But I do feel like people who haven’t researched it enough, it’s an ED waiting to happen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

l was 70kg midway through 2019 due to stress and anxiety and wanted to get back to 81kg. So l started training at a gym put on the required 81kg and was happy with myself...then covid hit and so did my weight...it shot up to 100kg...Gyms opened up again and l got down to 94kg but l am now at 97kg and its stable...How l miss the gym.. Working out 4 days per week for 1 1/4 hours weights and 20 minutes cardio each day until covid once again and l'm still at 97kg...Hopefully the weight will start to decline once the gyms open up again and stay open....l hope. This is also my outlet for stress and anxiety....

Man i reckon that's what i need to do, think I might look into it- thanks
Got some half inch pipe, elbows and flanges online from a plumbing supplies joint in NSW, screwed it all together and attached it to a couple of merbau offcuts from the pergola and attached them to the rafters with batten screws. Cost about $80 all up.
Actually on my first glass of Squealing Pig Chardonnay from N Z.

I'll do some exercise maybe Sunday ?
Currently enjoying a Bress Pinot noir and about to tuck into some home delivered Attica. We're having a virtual dinner party for my father in law's 75th birthday🍷

Awesome work dc.

My story & stats are not too dissimilar and lockdown has somehow helped me lose weight. I began 2020 on 101 kgs (I'd been as high as 110 a few years earlier). Lost 14 kgs during 2020 and another 1-2kgs so far this year to leave me around 85/86kgs.

I run 8kms once a week at 5 minute splits, but that's more for the fitness side of things as much as the weight loss.

If anyone is after weight loss, I'd recommend 2 things:

(1) Eat as small a lunch as possible, whether that be fruit, 1 muesli bar or even just a handful of biccies with your coffee. It takes a little while to make your appetite adjust to this, but it is doable.

(2) Walk as much as possible. Spare time is obviously the tricky part here, but I find that this assists the weight loss more than anything and is something (if you have the time) can keep doing consistently. Pedometers (step counters) are handy here; I tend to average between 15,000-17,000 steps a day. That sounds a lot, but is basically the equivalent of walking 2.5-3 hours walking per day.

And the little things count. For example; when you take your next train trip, look at the people on the platform: 95% are standing still looking at their phones. Walk up and down the platform and if you're waiting 5 minutes, that's 500 steps. When you go out and get take-away dinner that usually takes 10 minutes after order = There's another 1,000 steps.

As for gym-work, I've tried but usually end up hurting my back or shoulder. That then adversely affects my other exercise, so I prefer my walking & running.
Love this mate

Tending animals for the last 2 years I have lost 8 KGS. On and off tractor unwrapping bales and opening and closing gates. Repairing fences, moving cattle in and out of the crush.

Otherwise I would be spending my spare Tim getting back into cycling after popping my calf. Problem is I have no spare time ATM. So the bike lies in wait and New KOMs in strava become more distant.

Your fitness pal ran away

hey this is a good idea for a thread.

THIS IS NOT A CRACK, but there is a thing going on now in Northern states (at least QLD) that Vics are all fatties, probably due to lock down. I was incredibly offended when I first heard it because I am an ex Victorian, and also probably because I'm a bit of a fatty.

Anyway, stay healthy people.

because gyms are opening tomorrow it’s an opportunity for us to train hard again! So complete that last rep! Push yourself! (Obviously not too hard but do it safely)

I also love nine to five fitness, they give excellent advice, if anyone wants to check them out

Worked from home all of 2020 and while that sucked baws it at least afforded me the opportunity to own my time each day. Used it to ride pretty much each day for just on an hour, doing 25km in that time. Started the year at 104kgs, dropped to 93kg by Christmas. Then lost all motivation and the weight rose again. My fit weight is about 85 - 87kg (190cm).

Recently started back on the bike and eating right. Focussing on eating whole grains, fruits n veg, some animal proteins, healthy snacks and plenty of water. Daily exercise including a simple weight routine and bike, and a regular sleeping pattern. Let's see how it all goes.

I’m so freaking excited that community sports are back! This year my fitness has been so inconsistent and I was in ******* elite form before the lockdown, but it’s just another stepping stone and I’m going to work hard to get back to that form.

ran out of creatine today rip

I’m so freaking excited that community sports are back! This year my fitness has been so inconsistent and I was in ******* elite form before the lockdown, but it’s just another stepping stone and I’m going to work hard to get back to that form.

ran out of creatine today rip
Get some mad pre workout potions!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back