Rumour Heath Shaw: '****ing *'

Remove this Banner Ad

Salamander, you are truly the epitome of all that is wrong in this country. Your PC s**t is ridiculous and if a bloke in a scuffle says something during the heat of the battle that is going to upset you, please do the earth a favour and take up bird watching or trainspotting as a hobby.

Next thing if people call someone stupid, an idiot, moron or imbecile, do gooder Salamander will come down on you because * replaced these classifications.

Sorry for the rant but I just feel the world is a poorer place coz of people with overtly PC views like Salamander.

Its an interesting situation the AFL find themselves in Montagna got accused of calling a player a Soft C and copped a 50 metre penalty, when he didnt say it, but the penalty had been applied.

Where does the AFL sit on this verbal abuse, personally the world is too plotically correct and if this was applied in cricket the Australian Cricket team would be in a whole world of trouble

But it does question where the AFL sits on anti socilal behaviour and how they prioritise anti social behaviour and how they have stuffed it up completely

Really disappointed with the majority of comments in this thread, as someone who has worked with people with Intellectual Disabilities for a couple of decades I found Heath Shaw's comments highly offensive. People with an intellectual disability are either born with an Intellectual disability or have acquired it as a child through no fault of their own. For those of you that are excusing Heath's comments I ask you this "If you had a family member with an Intellectual Disability or knew someone with an intellectual Disability would you be offended by Heath's derogatory use of the word"

I have had the pleasure of watching a few Football Integration Development League (FIDA) games and have been directly involved with people who have played in these games the pride they feel and the joy on their faces when they pull on an AFL jumper is priceless. FIDA provides an environment that promotes fitness, fun, friendship and a sense of belonging. Through participation in Australian Rules Football, it enhances life skills and develops self-esteem, confidence and improved health. People with Intellectual Disabilities are some of the most passionate and loyal AFL supporters out there and Heath Shaw's comments are insulting to all people with Intellectual Disabilities and especially those 800 or so players who play in the FIDA league, there families and the hundreds of volunteers who devote their time and effort to give these people the opportunity to play the game they love.

Some time ago Heath spoke about his own struggles with Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder (ADHD) which makes his comments all the more disappointing. I'm pleased that he has apologised but in my opinion a press release doesn't go far enough. I hope that sometime this week he will take the opportunity to front the media in some form or another and make a heartfelt apology.

WOW WTAF? Calm down dude.

I imagine to myself what it would be like to be this easily offended, I don't know how some of those people handle day to day life. (This is not directed at you fwiw)

Possibly the biggest shitstorm about nothing in a long time for AFL.

The problem here is that stories like this get a lot of clicks and the commercial media laps it up because it's more ad revenue. Then because of all the attention, more independent news sources like the ABC think it's something that most Australians seem to care about and then they run it. Then moronic TV shows like the project run it and it's all we talk about for weeks.

However, nobody in their right mind should give a **** about this. Anybody who thinks this is a news story is an idiot. Anybody who think they need to jump on the internet and defend Heath Shaw from political correctness gone mad is an idiot. Anybody who clicks on this story because they're mind-boggled that a story about a sledge in an AFL game probably isn't an idiot but perhaps we're at the point where we should no longer be clicking on bait lest the media continues to pump these stories up to oblivion.

Yeah, Shaw shouldn't have said what he said. So give him a token monetary fine, no suspensions, no free kicks and for the love of god no ******* public apologies.

I wonder if you realise that, just because someone has an opinion that differs from yours, it doesn't automatically make them an idiot.

And immediately reaching that conclusion, without any reasoning, is not a good way to present an argument.

Do we have a People With a Disability round yet or what? Get on it AFL.
Totally. What we should do is pick 24 minority groups every year and have a round dedicated to each one.

Players with tattoos should be made to wear long sleeves unless it's tattoo round to celebrate the Scottish community from Edinburgh.

Players should also be fined for talking on field and over the PA system before the bounce there should be a "quiet please" announcement.

Totally. What we should do is pick 24 minority groups every year and have a round dedicated to each one.

Players with tattoos should be made to wear long sleeves unless it's tattoo round to celebrate the Scottish community from Edinburgh.

Players should also be fined for talking on field and over the PA system before the bounce there should be a "quiet please" announcement.

I deleted my post to google if they actually had such a round. I, probably a bit ignorantly, follow the game not the latest social cause being promoted.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I deleted my post to google if they actually had such a round. I, probably a bit ignorantly, follow the game not the latest social cause being promoted.
What, wait really?? Are you suggesting That most people don't enjoy the off field drama, like who has a social smoke when on approved leave, social causes and are only interested the game itself because it's just that, a game??

Ambulance chaser Barrett has to report this stuff as no clubs talk to him unless he does a Slobbo and makes up a story using alternative facts to railroad a club

Siento Offendido!!!

I think it's more a problem of having mics on field. Don't really think we need to hear what's going on out there.

My favourite of all slip ups with on field banter getting on air was during the second Western Derby in 2006. Freo were playing very well and I guess the WCE players were getting a fraught. One of the WCE players infringed the center circle during a bounce, and then clear as day you hear Cox yell out, 'Stay out of the circle you F*****G C**T!!!

The commentators went quiet for a few moments, then one said something like, 'well I think Cox is a bit upset with one of his players there.

Salamander, you are truly the epitome of all that is wrong in this country. Your PC s**t is ridiculous and if a bloke in a scuffle says something during the heat of the battle that is going to upset you, please do the earth a favour and take up bird watching or trainspotting as a hobby.

What's the difference between that and a bloke (or woman) making a post on an internet forum that has apparently upset you enough to create a Big Footy account to respond to it?

For those that are advocating complete freedom of speech, if you work in an office, just call anyone who angers you what Heath Shaw called Tom Papley and see how you go. You'll be lucky to last a couple of hours.

You'd think he racially abused someone such is the outrage by some over this "incident". Calling people *s isn't a great thing to do but bloody hell move on. He's a footballer and a great deal of footballers still act like dickhead high school footballers.

He said something regrettable in the heat of the moment after he was put in a headlock. I'd like to see how those outraged would react if they were in a similar situation.

You'd think he racially abused someone such is the outrage by some over this "incident". Calling people ******s isn't a great thing to do but bloody hell move on. He's a footballer and a great deal of footballers still act like dickhead high school footballers.

He said something regrettable in the heat of the moment after he was put in a headlock. I'd like to see how those outraged would react if they were in a similar situation.

Maybe we should try to stop them acting like dickhead high school footballers? Worth a try?

Maybe we should try to stop them acting like dickhead high school footballers? Worth a try?
Blokes hurling around abusive and immature stuff at each other on the footy field is hardly worth wasting any time on eradicating.

I'm all for stamping out racism, homophobia etc. Not really worried about people who haven't grown up and still use childish insults like *.

Blokes hurling around abusive and immature stuff at each other on the footy field is hardly worth wasting any time on eradicating.

I'm all for stamping out racism, homophobia etc. Not really worried about people who haven't grown up and still use childish insults like ******.

There's a few issues here.
  • You say that it's dickhead high school footballer behaviour. Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out where these high school aged kids take their cues from. Their role models: parents, coaches, teachers and their sporting heroes. By taking a strong stance against this, at least the AFL is doing something to try to stamp out of the game at the grassroots level, as opposed to doing nothing.
  • Presumably, GWS has a significant number of supporters (not to mention staff and possibly players) with a mental disability, or who care for or live with someone with a mental disability. Heath Shaw may have even done some work with people with a mental disability in the past. What is their reaction going to be about his comments? He shouldn't have said it and now that it's been picked up, it can't be condoned.
  • I don't really see the distinction that you are making between a homophobic slur and a slur against someone with a mental disability. Once upon a time (not so long ago, really), sledging someone by making a casual slur about them being a homosexual (whether they were or they weren't) was just a childish insult as well.

''Someone call (no telefone) someone a name mean, it is was mean name, name is mean. Must have block this someone (mr sure) from mean saying for names for means. mean names word and names have to no place in today's name game for rules? mean someone say sorry to mean name person for name calling mean names :p :p :p xDDDDD :)))))))'' - Gil, AFL CEO, 23 April 2017

There's a few issues here.
  • You say that it's dickhead high school footballer behaviour. Well, it doesn't take a genius to figure out where these high school aged kids take their cues from. Their role models: parents, coaches, teachers and their sporting heroes. By taking a strong stance against this, at least the AFL is doing something to try to stamp out of the game at the grassroots level, as opposed to doing nothing.
  • Presumably, GWS has a significant number of supporters (not to mention staff and possibly players) with a mental disability, or who care for or live with someone with a mental disability. Heath Shaw may have even done some work with people with a mental disability in the past. What is their reaction going to be about his comments? He shouldn't have said it and now that it's been picked up, it can't be condoned.
  • I don't really see the distinction that you are making between a homophobic slur and a slur against someone with a mental disability. Once upon a time (not so long ago, really), sledging someone by making a casual slur about them being a homosexual (whether they were or they weren't) was just a childish insult as well.
Then maybe they should do away with the on-field mics. I imagine what Shaw said is far from the worst sledge said on the field.

Then maybe they should do away with the on-field mics. I imagine what Shaw said is far from the worst sledge said on the field.

The players share of the CBA is a by-product of the media outlets paying historic amounts to have unrestricted access to the players. So, if the players are willing to take a much bigger hit out of their salaries than Shaw will be fined, they can probably drop a few more slurs on the field, I suppose.

But, that would sort of put your hopes to stamp homophobia out of the game on pretty dodgy ground, as I'm sure that players would be keen to start dropping a few homophobic slurs around too, because, unlike racial slurs, the recipient is probably less likely to report the exchange.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back