Remove this Banner Ad

freddy mercury

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 20, 2009
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Jacksonville
Just bought a can from safeway and beef stew was amazing best ever are they healthy and what is your favorite gona head in and buy more cans tomorrow.

Campbells easily the best, have been eating it for years.

aaeb_ChunkyBeefjpg__detail.jpg

Tasty, yes.

Healthy, no.

It's canned, which means a heap of preservatives and artificial flavours and an overdose of salt. Beats me why someone would want to eat meat that has sat in a can for upwards of a year.

Heinz Spicy Bean and Lentil Soup is possibly the best canned vegetarian meal there is.

In all honesty, I can make a far superior spicy lentil soup in the time it would take you to drive to the supermarket, buy a can and heat it in the microwave.

1 onion
1 can of lentils, rinsed and drained thoroughly
1 can of chopped tomatoes (try and find the Indian ones with spices, otherwise you'll need to add your own)
Stock
Salt and pepper
Chili flakes
Any other spices you desire

Simmer for 15-30 minutes.

I couldn't possibly eat the Heinz spicy lentil soup after eating that recipe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

lol have you tried reading the ingredients?

Heinz Big'n Chunky Peppered Steak (535g)

Vegetables (44%)
Water
Marinated beef (17%)
Thickener (1422, 415)
Potato starch
Maize thickener (1422)
Yeast extracts
Flavours
Salt
Soy sauce
Pepper
Colours (150c, Paprika extract)
Sugar
Herb extract

Care to point out to me what in that list is particularly concerning to you?

Dietary information per can

(N.B. There are supposed to be 2 'servings' per can, so in the following list I have simply doubled the 'per serving' listings for the reader's benefit):

Protein 28g
Fat 6g
Carbs 36g
-sugars 7g
Sodium 1580mg

The only thing I would be even remotely concerned about there is the sodium level (which is roughly equal to the daily recommended intake, depending on who you listen to). Low fat, low sugar, a good serving of protein and >200g of vegetables.

I'd dare say that a can of Heinz Big'n Chunky Peppered Steak is far more healthful than what the majority of Australians are eating for dinner each night.

THRILLHO said:
It's canned, which means a heap of preservatives and artificial flavours and an overdose of salt. Beats me why someone would want to eat meat that has sat in a can for upwards of a year.

Heinz must be breaking the law, then, when they state on the packaging 'No artificial flavours, no preservatives'. Since you clearly know better, you should probably report them. Do you have any evidence to verify your claims that the 'meat has been sitting in a can for upwards of a year'?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back