Strategy Hey Ross, it's time to get unpredictable

Remove this Banner Ad

I have been reflecting on our form over the past month or so and I am beginning to wonder if Ross Lyon is a tactical genius who has intentionally pulled the FFC juggernaut "back" for strategic reasons.

Look at the facts: (1) RTB is the smartest AFL coach in the room (2) He is well versed in coaching dominant teams entrenched on the top of the ladder (3) Aside from securing a top 2 berth (with resultant home final) the minor premiership is of little interest to RTB.

In short, I think the chess master is thinking about 10 steps ahead of us all - he got a good look at Hawthorn on the weekend (which will provide useful intel come finals) but Clarkson saw very little of FFC's "top gear". Genius.

I think Ross definitely has a few changes up his sleeve but we may have to wait a few weeks to see them. I doubt Ross considers Carlton worthy of such a treat.

I don't have time to read the whole article but I think we are too one dimensional at the moment Sandilands tap to Fyfe every single time. The other team is just setting up for that.

Mundy used to get his fair share of taps & when Barlow burst on the scene he was awesome winning clearances with sharp handballs now he is just defensive at the stoppages.

The other teams are just conceding the ruck to Sandi & waiting for him to tap it to Fyfe. If the other team is conceding shy not start spiking it in a preplanned position to break it up?
It's become bleeding obvious they are all camping on Fyfe to receive the Sandi tap then they pounce. Was working first half of season not so efficient now. Mark Stone and capt Kirk need to shuffle it up more. Also with our midfield so dominant early on it allowed D Pearce to have the highest metres gained inside Forward 50m.

Also if Fyfe is being sat on at clearances then he needs to be played more up forward with Mickey Barlow, lachie, Barra & Stevie to step up. Need to promote hard nut Brady grey into the midfield.

I have been reflecting on our form over the past month or so and I am beginning to wonder if Ross Lyon is a tactical genius who has intentionally pulled the FFC juggernaut "back" for strategic reasons.

Look at the facts: (1) RTB is the smartest AFL coach in the room (2) He is well versed in coaching dominant teams entrenched on the top of the ladder (3) Aside from securing a top 2 berth (with resultant home final) the minor premiership is of little interest to RTB.

In short, I think the chess master is thinking about 10 steps ahead of us all - he got a good look at Hawthorn on the weekend (which will provide useful intel come finals) but Clarkson saw very little of FFC's "top gear". Genius.

I think Ross definitely has a few changes up his sleeve but we may have to wait a few weeks to see them. I doubt Ross considers Carlton worthy of such a treat.
To me there are maybe two things that have held us back in the last few rounds. Form and maybe fatigue.

What we have seen for the last few weeks culminating in yesterday's game is no coaching masterclass. It's time to properly address both form and team management by coaching, specifically at the selection table.

To me there are maybe two things that have held us back in the last few rounds. Form and maybe fatigue.

What we have seen for the last few weeks culminating in yesterday's game is no coaching masterclass. It's time to properly address both form and team management by coaching, specifically at the selection table.

Maybe. Or maybe you are thinking exactly what the chess master wants you think.

The dope is not meant to know he is being roped - that's how rope a dope works.

I initially had the same reaction as you after the Hawks loss - hit the panic button, offer RTB unsolicited advice on his game plan etc - but now the dust as settled it is clear:

RTB perfected his football recipe in rounds 1 to 6. Once he had the formula down pat he took the foot of the pedal so other coaches would not have an entire season to try and reverse engineer the recipe.

Panic not. Let the chess master work his magic. The loss to Hawthorn is nothing more than RTB sacrificing a pawn on the way to the cup.

Maybe. Or maybe you are thinking exactly what the chess master wants you think.

The dope is not meant to know he is being roped - that's how rope a dope works.

I initially had the same reaction as you after the Hawks loss - hit the panic button, offer RTB unsolicited advice on his game plan etc - but now the dust as settled it is clear:

RTB perfected his football recipe in rounds 1 to 6. Once he had the formula down pat he took the foot of the pedal so other coaches would not have an entire season to try and reverse engineer the recipe.

Panic not. Let the chess master work his magic. The loss to Hawthorn is nothing more than RTB sacrificing a pawn on the way to the cup.
That is the most optimistic post I have read since the game finished, I just wished it were true.

That is the most optimistic post I have read since the game finished, I just wished it were true.
Look at us - two losses and we line up and offer simplistic advice to RTB: Less reliance on Sandi to Fyfe at stoppages; stop bombing it long into the 50; move the ball quicker; teach Zarke/Mayne to mark; teach Balla to keep his feet.

Such obvious suggestions.

But remember - the audience can see only what the magician wants them to see.

Ross wants Clarko to think we will always tap to Fyfe. He wants Longmire to think that we always bomb it long into the 50. He wants Simpson to leave Balla with some loose defending because he "will just fall over anyway".

Then in a crunch game RTB will wave the wand and the "gaps" will no longer be there for opposition teams to exploit.

Conversation at Hawthorn come finals time:-

Clarko to Assistant: Show me some footage of FFC towelling us up at the stoppages this year.

Assistant: Sorry Clarko. We don't have any usable footage from this season. But here is some footage of Sandi repeatedly tapping the ball to Fyfe.

Clarko: I think we will proceed on the assumption that Sandi will continue to tap the ball to Fyfe in our upcoming finals match then. Prepare our game plan on that basis.

Assistant: Roger that.

Then on game day... Check mate.

Look at us - two losses and we line up and offer simplistic advice to RTB: Less reliance on Sandi to Fyfe at stoppages; stop bombing it long into the 50; move the ball quicker; teach Zarke/Mayne to mark; teach Balla to keep his feet.

Such obvious suggestions.

But remember - the audience can see only what the magician wants them to see.

Ross wants Clarko to think we will always tap to Fyfe. He wants Longmire to think that we always bomb it long into the 50. He wants Simpson to leave Balla with some loose defending because he "will just fall over anyway".

Then in a crunch game RTB will wave the wand and the "gaps" will no longer be there for opposition teams to exploit.
Maybe. Or maybe the great deception is that we are sitting atop the ladder after round 15. We're going to find out soon enough.

Maybe. Or maybe the great deception is that we are sitting atop the ladder after round 15. We're going to find out soon enough.
If you go back and look at RTB's pressers earlier this season you realise that (1) he knew we would sit on top of the ladder (2) he knew we would drop a few games (3) he knew the media and supporters would turn on him when we did...

He is a man in complete control.

I predict we will not lose another game until we play Port. RTB will then deliberately drop the game so that there is no complacency come finals time. A timely lesson for the players if you will.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conversation at Hawthorn come finals time:-

Clarko to Assistant: Show me some footage of FFC towelling us up at the stoppages this year.

Assistant: Sorry Clarko. We don't have any usable footage from this season. But here is some footage of Sandi repeatedly tapping the ball to Fyfe.

Clarko: I think we will proceed on the assumption that Sandi will continue to tap the ball to Fyfe in our upcoming finals match then. Prepare our game plan on that basis.

Assistant: Roger that.

Then on game day... Check mate.
I want this to be true. So badly. As a professional, only thinking about this, and knowing how important this year, have to put the faith in Ross. He knows.

I understand that it is hard to accept that we aren't that good after promising so much, but the idea that Lyon is foxing is downright delusional. Embarrassing reading. How do we explain Richmond? How do we explain Brisbane and Gold Coast?

The weather? :rolleyes:
Yee of little faith.

RTB has learnt from his mistakes at St. Kilda - his team dominated the regular season but grew accustomed to dominance and then couldn't handle adversity when it presented come finals time.

RTB always talks about match simulation in his pressers: Scenario: Close game. Scenario: Slow start need to chase. Scenario: Defend the lead with a minute to go. Scenario: Chase the lead with a minute to go.

The Brisbane and Gold Coast victories (note the victories) gave FFC great scenario training.

As did the Richmond game albeit our players did not implement the plan well enough that night.

Just wait until we play Richmond at the G. RTB will use it as a pre-run of the grand final. Expect a dominant display by FFC.

Yee of little faith.

RTB has learnt from his mistakes at St. Kilda - his team dominated the regular season but grew accustomed to dominance and then couldn't handle adversity when it presented come finals time.

RTB always talks about match simulation in his pressers: Scenario: Close game. Scenario: Slow start need to chase. Scenario: Defend the lead with a minute to go. Scenario: Chase the lead with a minute to go.

The Brisbane and Gold Coast victories (note the victories) gave FFC great scenario training.

As did the Richmond game albeit our players did not implement the plan well enough that night.

Just wait until we play Richmond at the G. RTB will use it as a pre-run of the grand final. Expect a dominant display by FFC.
Well I hope you are right but I just don't see it.

Yee of little faith.

Is that you Suma?? Get back to work!!

I understand that it is hard to accept that we aren't that good after promising so much, but the idea that Lyon is foxing is downright delusional. Embarrassing reading. How do we explain Richmond? How do we explain Brisbane and Gold Coast?

The weather? :rolleyes:

Yeah lets not forget if we won, there is a good chance the Hawks could have finished outside top 4 with potential losses against Sydney. Given hawks are freos biggest weakness makes no sense to hide game plans/let them finish top 4.

What is the training load like at the moment? Are they under a heavy load before tapering in finals?
I reckon this, as well as the flu, is one of the weakest excuses in footy.

Seemed to have popped up after Adelaide went into the 1997-98 finals series in seemingly bad form than played at an elite level during the finals. Yes, training loads are adjusted during the season to set the side up for finals, but all finals aspirants are doing it in some way.

I reckon this, as well as the flu, is one of the weakest excuses in footy.

Seemed to have popped up after Adelaide went into the 1997-98 finals series in seemingly bad form than played at an elite level during the finals. Yes, training loads are adjusted during the season to set the side up for finals, but all finals aspirants are doing it in some way.
... and at different times.

How often does a premiership aspirant get thrashed by 12 goals in a season and ended up winning?
Not often, but team often get comfortably beaten and win the flag. Sometimes they even get beaten by the worst sides in the comp.

2013 Hawks lost by 7 goals to Tigers
2012 Swans lost by 5 goals to Cats, Tigers and Saints
2011 Geelong were good.
2010 Pies lost to Cats by 6 goals but also lost to Lions and Demons.

Not often, but team often get comfortably beaten and win the flag. Sometimes they even get beaten by the worst sides in the comp.

2013 Hawks lost by 7 goals to Tigers
2012 Swans lost by 5 goals to Cats, Tigers and Saints
2011 Geelong were good.
2010 Pies lost to Cats by 6 goals but also lost to Lions and Demons.
So do you conclude Fremantle are tapering before finals, or is this the same kind of blind optimism that thought the thrashing at the hands of the Saints wasn't a sign the side wasn't good enough?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back