Strategy Hey Ross, it's time to get unpredictable

Remove this Banner Ad

Hilly doesn't have a right foot. The opposition have realised that and force him right. He always tries to get back on his left. Ballaz was the same but is getting better on his opposite side.
Huh?
Hilly is one of the rarities as a lefty - he is reasonably comfortable on his opposite side up to about 30-40m. Just that he usually has the speed and agility to get on his left most times.
Now Suban though...... that is a whole different story. Mind you, I nearly fell off the recliner last week when I saw him manage to scrub a 20m right-foot kick away for the first time in his career I reckon :eek: YAY!

definitely now to get unpredictable.
Predictable is being too easily worked out by the opposition.
Sandilands to Fyfe works no more.

definitely now to get unpredictable.
Predictable is being too easily worked out by the opposition.
Sandilands to Fyfe works no more.

How do you get unpredictable?its a team game and structures are what wins games.The best teams are the ones with the best structures.Hawks are the most predictable side in the comp.Arent all teams chasing the Hawks method.

Huh?
Hilly is one of the rarities as a lefty - he is reasonably comfortable on his opposite side up to about 30-40m. Just that he usually has the speed and agility to get on his left most times.
Now Suban though...... that is a whole different story. Mind you, I nearly fell off the recliner last week when I saw him manage to scrub a 20m right-foot kick away for the first time in his career I reckon :eek: YAY!
He's a bit like Judd, he can kick well on the opposite side but they are that good they rarely have to.

How do you get unpredictable?its a team game and structures are what wins games.The best teams are the ones with the best structures.Hawks are the most predictable side in the comp.Arent all teams chasing the Hawks method.

No. They are the most flexible, and their foot skills are elite.
They don't often turn the ball over. As opposed to Suban etc.
Their flexibility is their unpredictability.

I think you need to be predictable to yourselves, but have enough options that you are not predictable to the opposition. Hawks throw different players into the centre square all the time, they have McAvoy leading out of the goal square as a surprise move and their forward 50 entries are to different players. We are Sandi to Fyfe close in and bomb it long to Pav triple teamed. We need variety.

RTB mentioned that nothing the Hawks did was unexpected. A bit like how the Queenslanders prepared for Cyclone Larry by placing tape on their windows to stop the glass shattering. The best of our planning did not stop the carnage in Launceston yesterday either....

I think you need to be predictable to yourselves, but have enough options that you are not predictable to the opposition. Hawks throw different players into the centre square all the time, they have McAvoy leading out of the goal square as a surprise move and their forward 50 entries are to different players. We are Sandi to Fyfe close in and bomb it long to Pav triple teamed. We need variety.

You can do this when ball movement is clean and swift.
We have slow, high hack kicks

When we used flexibility start of season we won in style, but Ross has now gone back to his old ways. We were so predictable yesterday the Hawks were all over our mids.

As much as I hate this, but Walters needs to be moved back into the middle at times against Hawks and Sydney. We need elite kicks and he can provide it. Mundy also needs to be moved into a Shaun.Bur role as he is inconsistent in the middle/predictable.

RTB mentioned that nothing the Hawks did was unexpected. A bit like how the Queenslanders prepared for Cyclone Larry by placing tape on their windows to stop the glass shattering. The best of our planning did not stop the carnage in Launceston yesterday either....

Which just goes to show he got out played by Clarkson once again. He refuses to changes things up against the Hawks for some odd reason.

If Buckley can get the pies close, I refuse to accept that he did everything to make it at least competitive. The margin was massive for a team on top of the ladder! Sure the hawks will outplay us 8/10 times but they destroyed us with ease. Our structure isnt good enough against them and the wrong players picked.

Hawks have a game plan that they rigidly stick to.They know where to run to and when they dispose of the ball a team mate is there.
They are totally predictable.Training is based on set plays ,practised ad infinitum on the oval and in the lecture theatre.When structures fall down thats when you get thumped.Having great skills makes it a lot easier to be predictable.Maybe we just have to get used to the fact that the Hawks are a more talented team.

If Buckley can get the pies close, I refuse to accept that he did everything to make it at least competitive. The margin was massive for a team on top of the ladder! Sure the hawks will outplay us 8/10 times but they destroyed us with ease. Our structure isnt good enough against them and the wrong players picked.
I think there is something too this, the freo fan in me hopes that Lyon is playing ducks and drakes at the moment. Perhaps he put in his best 22 for the sake of appearances rather than preference.

Bring in Griffin as a forward decoy, return Taberner and have Fyfe spending half his time in forward.

All of a sudden you've got 5 forward targets - Pav, Taberner, Griffin, Fyfe and Mayne.

Walters and Ballantyne crumbing it.

You can't tell me our midfield is doomed with only Barlow, Mundy and Neale attacking the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring in Griffin as a forward decoy, return Taberner and have Fyfe spending half his time in forward.

All of a sudden you've got 5 forward targets - Pav, Taberner, Griffin, Fyfe and Mayne.

You can't tell me our midfield is doomed with only Barlow, Mundy and Neale attacking the ball.
Mayne is not a forward, he's had all that stripped out, he now is a headless chook that occasionally runs into someone.

Why not just rotate all of our midfield players at times? Neale for Walters, etc, Must have a plan B.

I think there is something too this, the freo fan in me hopes that Lyon is playing ducks and drakes at the moment. Perhaps he put in his best 22 for the sake of appearances rather than preference.

I would like to think that as well, but given freo had the chance to keep the hawks outside the top 4, its unlikely he didnt try. If you have to save parts of your game plan for finals then its not good enough.

He may as well played full defensive mode, if he didnt want to give away any of the plan.

I would like to think that as well, but given freo had the chance to keep the hawks outside the top 4, its unlikely he didnt try. If you have to save parts of your game plan for finals then its not good enough.

He may as well played full defensive mode, if he didnt want to give away any of the plan.

We did beat although not cream the Hawks late last season and they got over that and regrouped and we crumbled. Form can change .The trick is are we good enough to do it.8 weeks is plenty of time to put it back together.

We did beat although not cream the Hawks late last season and they got over that and regrouped and we crumbled. Form can change .The trick is are we good enough to do it.8 weeks is plenty of time to put it back together.

I think this loss could be a blessing in disguise. Some players may have been getting ahead of themselves - the belting by the Hawks is a timely wake up call for supporters, coaching staff and players alike.

I think Ross should make a few personnel tweaks for the game against Carltank - some young kids are in good form at WAFL level - pick 1 and give them an opportunity. Youth brings hunger. Alex Pearce is case in point.

The most complete way to be unpredictable is to be a complete &$%ing rabble.

Didn't work so well on the weekend, did it?!

Why Sandi wouldn't work as a pure key forward:

- He's slow. Forget about getting a decent lead out of him.
- For a bloke that gets his hands on it nearly every time it comes near him he doesn't take enough marks
- Range would be 35m from goal

Barlow,Walters,De boer,Suban,Hill ,Pav all went in centre square plus the usual suspects on Sat .We tried Sandi. Clark, Fyfe and A Pearce forward. I would say that was just a little unpredictable.It was one of those days .Ross will probably dissect it Monday and never look at the game again.

I noticed Alex Pearce and Ibbo at a stoppage in the middle of the ground right after a bounce, Alex was literally wrestling his way out of a tackle in the little bounce circle.

We get two chances to set up plays and leading patters;
Centre bounces and free kicks forward of centre.

Everything else is transition play to try and get back to a centre bounce where we should dominate and goal to return and repeat.

Our midfield aren't winning the clean ball out of the middle, they are standing too close to Sandi. Far too defensive but our mids can't chase the speedy clearance from the opposition if they don't turn it into a wrestle.

We need to either take a contested mark on the half forward line to deliver to a loose deeper but so far all our deep entries are to a cluster of our forwards.

Clarke in the middle 80% of the time and Sandi forward 80% of the time, particularly against top, well organised teams.

Hawks smashed us by waiting for our mids to get first hands then constantly stripping us of the ball and scooting away. So bloody predictable in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back