Hobart F.C at the cross roads

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart missed the boat in getting Lance Spaulding as head coach. He is arguably the best coach in Tas at the moment (Dogga might have something to say about this!) and Hobart used him in an advisory role as an assistant to Fox.... How dumb can you be?

They failed to use Lance's advice and went their separate ways after last year and look how it has worked out.

Now he's got the North Hobart senior role it will be up and up for North. And Hobart? Well only time will tell but something tells me it'll be more of the same.

Was speaking to a former Hobart player today re Spaulding taking over at North.

From what I was told, Hobart were in talks with Lance to take over from Fox at years end as well!

Hobart missed the boat in getting Lance Spaulding as head coach. He is arguably the best coach in Tas at the moment (Dogga might have something to say about this!) and Hobart used him in an advisory role as an assistant to Fox.... How dumb can you be?

They failed to use Lance's advice and went their separate ways after last year and look how it has worked out.

Now he's got the North Hobart senior role it will be up and up for North. And Hobart? Well only time will tell but something tells me it'll be more of the same.

It's funny how people from outside looking in seem to think they actually have any idea at all. There seems to be an assumption that Fox is a poor coach when nothing could be further than the truth. Hobart didn't miss the boat, Spaulding shopped around and Nth job came up mid season. As far as the best coach in the state well until there is proof in some form that title surely must go to Budgie, as easy at is has been for him he has obviously grown in the role and continues to gain success from a structured and consistent approach of excellence and no compromise, plus he is well researched. Fox is a very good coach, very articulate, rarely flustered and an interesting man to speak to. Willing his assistant is very thorough and also well researched although a little more flambouant with his approach and gets a little hot at times but rarely seen publicly and the players respect him tremendously. The football department and playing group are working well together, there is one set of rules and they are being adhered to, no player is bigger than the club (see internal suspensions to Cassidy, Willing and Clark x 2)More of the same?? WTF this club has been screwed by AFL Tas and its own inept board for 3 years, now the board is finally at one with the coaching panel things are looking brighter. Lights soon and HCC discussing future redevelopment of the ground in line with the Hobart sporting precinct policy and TCA 20/20 headquarters being set up all is looking bright, theoutsiders who equate the club and its players in quality to the crappy facilities need to have a look at themselves, actually find out some facts instead of cheap barfly rumours and get a life.

The players are sick of cheap potshots and rubbish generated in these pages. Lance made a choice as did Brown(with some help I assume). It is easy to stick the boots into a club who has a small zone with little chance of recruitment due to AFL Tas continually telling our one they will have their own team soon, imagine how Clarence would recruit if Lindisfarne were to enter the league, would be a bit of a challenge. Last 2 seasons Hobart have relied solely on Hutchins school or old boys, New Norfolk and a couple of other regional SFL teams, havent been able to recruit well due to the media and an inept board. The tide however is turning, Hobart FC only needs to attract on marquee player from wherever and things will turn on the field, just be a little more patient and less negative, at least we are not Devonport or Sth Launny!

No barbs to Brer at all (he's a great guy and i played under him!) but i think Lance is a more experienced and better suited coach at this level.

That is my opinion. It is also my opinion that Hobart have stagnated on and off the field and until i see otherwise i am entitled to my opinion.

I sincerely hope that they stay at the TCA and that they get the lights up and that they get a marquee player and all those things. However i have been around a while and have been hearing the same thing for a long time.

If the Hobart fc is to stay at the tca lets just hope the renovations do happen and quickly.

What the club needs to do is come out and make a public announcement on exactly what it plans to do and when.

This would get the monkey off the back, give positive direction and the players would have certainty.

If the ground is redeveloped then how on earth will AFL Tas deal with Hobart still playing out of the Tca?

Would they really kick the club out and create a club from scratch based at the new twin ovals?

Come on everyone get round the table, stop the bickering and in decision or silence and start making realistic announcements for the good of the game.

Kingpin whats happened to you?

If the ground is redeveloped then how on earth will AFL Tas deal with Hobart still playing out of the Tca?

Would they really kick the club out and create a club from scratch based at the new twin ovals?

Come on everyone get round the table, stop the bickering and in decision or silence and start making realistic announcements for the good of the game.

Kingpin whats happened to you?

Certainly made a valid point there, duff.

Also, i was talking to kingpin on Sunday, and he said he has had limited access to the internet.

No barbs to Brer at all (he's a great guy and i played under him!) but i think Lance is a more experienced and better suited coach at this level.

That is my opinion. It is also my opinion that Hobart have stagnated on and off the field and until i see otherwise i am entitled to my opinion.

I sincerely hope that they stay at the TCA and that they get the lights up and that they get a marquee player and all those things. However i have been around a while and have been hearing the same thing for a long time.

Fair enough but largely irrelevent now Spaulding is at Nth. Fox is a good coach, all involved with him know it, the job will be his till he decides otherwise and contrary to what you believe he is the best man for the job, no one else bar Lance wanted it and Willing will probably take over at some stage if the club is smart, he is young, knowledgable and communicates well but has a tough side. Fox rarely berates his players publicly and is never personal but is honest, the problem has always been that the board are a country club board and are only now shaping up. They have told AFL Tas they will not be moving some time ago but Wade keeps telling the media the opposite. Yes there has been lots said in the past but the fact remains the HCC is committed to the sporting precinct of which the TCA is part of, Nth Hobart oval is not part of its plans and they wont financially back both, simple really. Hobart FC just needs to committ to the ground with the HCC.

Stagnation on your behalf is about results, have a closer look at club culture, professionalism and organisation by football department. Yes still some way to go but hardly stagnating. Wins will come when the club has some consistency of numbers for selection, every week the depth is tested by unavailibility as are other clubs but due to the clubs inability to recruit in volume as well as quality it is tough. If AFL Tas stopped dealing with our zone behind closed doors and Kingborough actually encouraged its kids to come up we'd be ok. In fact this weekend one of these kids is making his senior debut, young Willis, hopefully others will see opportunity and come up instead of playing at a lesser level.

Why should Kingston kids go to Hobart? And why would Kingborough encourage players to leave? They are trying to build a side that can win the SFL premiership. Ash Woodhead has gone back to Kingston this year and is having his most consistent season yet (might have something to do with playing at a lower level but he's been good). Another kid that played colts for Hobart last year has gone back to Kingston and has played some seniors this year.
Lauderdale haven't had a heap of trouble recruiting some good players to their club.

...at least we are not Devonport or Sth Launny!

Devonport and South grow a lot of juniors through their big development zones, only to lose the results of their work to richer teams...you said it yourself, Hobart has a "small zone" and sits where we are on the table with no marquee players, just the end results of raiding the local high schools, and a whole lot of pressure from the TSL asking exactly where the value of the Hobart FC to Tasmanian football is going to come from...9th comes right after 8th...I know who I'd rather be...don't sit there bagging my side while grizzling about others bagging yours...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's probably where Hobart are at!

Fox on thin ice? Could he be the 2nd coach to get the arse??

So its all the coaches fault then? the players have no responsibility for their performances? Its a pretty simple thing then, just turn the coaches over until you get some success. If you dont, then just keep on sacking the coaches. It must be an easy job running a footy club.:p

(PS. It must work as South Launy finally won a game:))

So its all the coaches fault then? the players have no responsibility for their performances? Its a pretty simple thing then, just turn the coaches over until you get some success. If you dont, then just keep on sacking the coaches. It must be an easy job running a footy club.:p

(PS. It must work as South Launy finally won a game:))

Not sure i mentioned who was at fault. Brown got the sack at north and it wasn't all his fault, but as coach he took the blame!

Fox has been there for 2 years, and they have gone backwards in 2011. 2 wins from 11 rounds isn't anywhere near a good result!!

a club can't sack 20 players, coach normally gets the chop first, therefore, fox being on thin ice is surely close too the mark?

Not sure i mentioned who was at fault. Brown got the sack at north and it wasn't all his fault, but as coach he took the blame!

Fox has been there for 2 years, and they have gone backwards in 2011. 2 wins from 11 rounds isn't anywhere near a good result!!

a club can't sack 20 players, coach normally gets the chop first, therefore, fox being on thin ice is surely close too the mark?

I'm not really a Fox fan. I remember how him & his brother behaved as players. But at least he showed some guts to guts to drop players for disciplinary reasons. He obviously wants to get the best & most disciplined game out of his team. I wonder what the players & administration want? Just looking for a softer coach wouldnt help them.
The club has some big issues on the horizon. TCA ground development with new lights & better facilities, the TSL want them off the TCA & a team playing out of the new Kingston twin ovals. They need to focus on these things.
They dont need disunity in the ranks. I hope they sort it out, at least until the end of the season.

I'm not really a Fox fan. I remember how him & his brother behaved as players. But at least he showed some guts to guts to drop players for disciplinary reasons. He obviously wants to get the best & most disciplined game out of his team. I wonder what the players & administration want? Just looking for a softer coach wouldnt help them.
The club has some big issues on the horizon. TCA ground development with new lights & better facilities, the TSL want them off the TCA & a team playing out of the new Kingston twin ovals. They need to focus on these things.
They dont need disunity in the ranks. I hope they sort it out, at least until the end of the season.
Interesting little post re Fox and his brother as players, I wonder what you would think of him as a person and a coach now? you may be surprised at what you find? The Hobart FC issue is not the football department, hasn't been from what I see since Lewis left, the group on the other hand is thin for a multitude of reasons, not least of all the percieved move to Kingston which the club are not interested in, problem is this is their zone and Kingston being told by Wade they are getting a licence really prevents Hobarts ability to recruit from it's zone. Win/loss wise yes the club is behind last season, as far as football department they are a long way ahead. Put a James Charlesworth, Ellis Perry, Jake Stride and a very good onballer from interstate in this side and they start to look pretty good. They currently have 11 senior players out through suspension and inj from what I have been told, Clarence struggled early in the year for the same reason and now are back to being top 2 again. Hobart just need to keep its current list and recruit 6-8 players to the club with senior experience including 1 top line midfielder. Get that midfield player and have Cassidy, Cleary, Reeves, Gonninon, Charlesworth and Briggs on the forward line and see how they stretch teams. One good thing I have heard is Willling is over his back inj and will be able to do a pre season properly this time round and from all reports he bleeds for the team, hates losing and really wants to prove some detractors wrong. These boys may create some havoc in the back end of the season and I am told they really want to make a statement when they play Clarence next time around, sick of being embarrassed by the roos:thumbsu: also not Saying Charlesworth is coming back but the club asks him every season, may happen one day!

This conversation is like circle work.

I feel for the players. They look like a good bunch who play for each other and its true throw a Matty Drury or Mott or Setchell or the like in and it would be a different story.

But the fact remains quality does not mix with uncertainty and until the club is stable it will be more of the same.

Kingpin can u dive into your record books and tell us the win/loss ratio for the last 10 years, how many players approx have played seniors and how many coaches have riden the ride.

I hope Fox lasts the distance because from what i'm told he's awesome.

Interesting little post re Fox and his brother as players, I wonder what you would think of him as a person and a coach now? you may be surprised at what you find? The Hobart FC issue is not the football department, hasn't been from what I see since Lewis left, the group on the other hand is thin for a multitude of reasons, not least of all the percieved move to Kingston which the club are not interested in, problem is this is their zone and Kingston being told by Wade they are getting a licence really prevents Hobarts ability to recruit from it's zone. Win/loss wise yes the club is behind last season, as far as football department they are a long way ahead. Put a James Charlesworth, Ellis Perry, Jake Stride and a very good onballer from interstate in this side and they start to look pretty good. They currently have 11 senior players out through suspension and inj from what I have been told, Clarence struggled early in the year for the same reason and now are back to being top 2 again. Hobart just need to keep its current list and recruit 6-8 players to the club with senior experience including 1 top line midfielder. Get that midfield player and have Cassidy, Cleary, Reeves, Gonninon, Charlesworth and Briggs on the forward line and see how they stretch teams. One good thing I have heard is Willling is over his back inj and will be able to do a pre season properly this time round and from all reports he bleeds for the team, hates losing and really wants to prove some detractors wrong. These boys may create some havoc in the back end of the season and I am told they really want to make a statement when they play Clarence next time around, sick of being embarrassed by the roos:thumbsu: also not Saying Charlesworth is coming back but the club asks him every season, may happen one day!

here lies the exact problem. cant keep blokes from yr to yr due to the facilities. whats the point of recruiting guys if they walk out on the club the next yr? happens all too often. hobart simply cant compete with the likes of glenorchy and clarence due to them offering far better facilities.

here lies the exact problem. cant keep blokes from yr to yr due to the facilities. whats the point of recruiting guys if they walk out on the club the next yr? happens all too often. hobart simply cant compete with the likes of glenorchy and clarence due to them offering far better facilities.

fair point but can be overcome with as Duff says getting rid of uncertainty. I believe the board needs an overhaul, Baker needs to step away if he truely loves the Tigers and the people left need to act more professionally and less like a country club. Players will come regardless of the facilities if they know the future is bright, look at other clubs with really average facilities, TCA is old but could be worse, could be the twin ovals at Kingston, no rooms and stuck in the middle of nowhere:p

hobart simply cant compete with the likes of glenorchy and clarence due to them offering far better facilities.[/quote]

Or the fact they carnt kick a goal for the whole match!!!!!!!!

hobart simply cant compete with the likes of glenorchy and clarence due to them offering far better facilities.

Or the fact they carnt kick a goal for the whole match!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

I guess the questions for the Tiges are many.
1) they have approx $3/4 million.
2) do they invest in the TCA, knowing that AFL Tas want a team out of the Kingborough ground.?
3) Do they invest in the TCA & keep their identity as the Hobart Tigers playing in the SFL?
4) Do they upgrade some facilities & also try to buy success & stay put in the TSL & let the AFL try to force them out.

So What do they do to change their situation?. They have money, they have a lot of heart. Is it enough? What should their decision about their future direction be?

Its time for Hobart to consider a merge with Nth Hobart and to be known as the Nth Hobart Tigers Fc aligned with Sandy Bay juniors. Play games out of Nth Hobart oval.

New clubrooms built on the standing terraces.

Football is the winner and two famous old clubs remain intact.

Its fair to say there is no real hatred between the two clubs and i challenge anyone to come up with a better solution to the crisis that is building for both clubs.

Come on Mr Perry you know your club is also facing big challenges and all is not rosy so give the boys at the TCA a ring, get everyone round the table and see if it can be a goer.

Football is the winner and two famous old clubs remain intact.

No, no they don't. Two famous old clubs are split to form a new club and allegiance to it would either be a) non-existant or b) as manufactured as the club itself. Can you imagine Manchester United and Manchester City merging?

Its fair to say there is no real hatred between the two clubs

Yes there is. North Hobart players have no time for Hobart players. Hobart players have no time for North Hobart players. There is a rivalry there for a reason. Hobart always gets up for games against their crosstown rival because they enjoy nothing more than beating the Demons. You can't simply stick the two different cultures together and expect it to work. It would be a basket case and both clubs would lose their identity.

i challenge anyone to come up with a better solution to the crisis that is building for both clubs.

Challenge accepted. Get rid of the Wade dictatorship at Argyle Street.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back