Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

I think 30000 if the semi was in Hobart too and especially if it was against one the big drawing interstate teams.

I don't see Boot Park having the capability to fit 30,000 into the Bellerive area, let alone the room to make the ground that large. That's why KGV would be the best option for a 30,000+ capacity ground.

I don't see Boot Park having the capability to fit 30,000 into the Bellerive area, let alone the room to make the ground that large. That's why KGV would be the best option for a 30,000+ capacity ground.
KGV would definitely be the best option for Hobart,I wonder if that will ever be considered as an option.

Why bother redeveloping Blundstone or KGV, they would have to be completely flattened. Looking at google maps, to me it was obvious that the stadium should be built in that wasteland just south of the Cenotaph. Walking distance of city centre, good transport links (for Tassie at any rate). You could imagine watching an early evening match there and then hit the bars and restaurants of town afterwards, rather than being stuck in some suburban outpost. It would become a destination in its own right. Plus you could redevelop that whole area and really complement the city centre. So it came as no surprise that when I looked at the plans for the $750 million dollar stadium, that's where it is to be located. Its the only sane option.

Funny to think the AO upgrade cost $610M with a 53K capacity in a city of 1.2M people. $750M on a stadium with a city of 210k sounds insane.

Ridiculous to be spending 750M on a new stadium there. Or even half that amount.

If I was a Tassie taxpayer I wouldn't be happy. Better things to spend money on, especially when they already have 2 stadiums that are clearly good enough to host AFL games. Expand those if needed.

As I recall, they hosted 2 finals down there last year and didn't even fill the stadium. Only 8K for one final, and 9K for the other.

Ridiculous to be spending 750M on a new stadium there. Or even half that amount.

If I was a Tassie taxpayer I wouldn't be happy. Better things to spend money on, especially when they already have 2 stadiums that are clearly good enough to host AFL games. Expand those if needed.

As I recall, they hosted 2 finals down there last year and didn't even fill the stadium. Only 8K for one final, and 9K for the other.
Fair point
Capped at 10000

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why bother redeveloping Blundstone or KGV, they would have to be completely flattened. Looking at google maps, to me it was obvious that the stadium should be built in that wasteland just south of the Cenotaph. Walking distance of city centre, good transport links (for Tassie at any rate). You could imagine watching an early evening match there and then hit the bars and restaurants of town afterwards, rather than being stuck in some suburban outpost. It would become a destination in its own right. Plus you could redevelop that whole area and really complement the city centre. So it came as no surprise that when I looked at the plans for the $750 million dollar stadium, that's where it is to be located. Its the only sane option.
It's absolutely the right option and with hindsight they've overdeveloped Blundstone. It should've stayed as a quaint cricket ground with 10-15k capacity at most and saved the cash for a proper accessible footy and cricket stadium in a prime location.

The issue I have is forking out all the money to build a new stadium before they've even got return on what they've spent on Blundstone. As well as a huge outlay of cash for a stadium before they even start reaping rewards from the team (that they'll be paying 10mil a year for minimum it seems).

If they get the team up and running the novelty of a new side should be enough to sustain some interest for 5-10 years, both from locals and tourists coming down for games too. Build a new stadium after that to give the team a kick along.

I agree. It just seems so obvious to me too. It’s not just about the stadium, it’s about the whole precinct surrounding it and its potential to be an economic driver on match days. Blundstone, KGV etc just don’t cut the mustard in this area.

I have read previously that the plan is to utilise BA for the first 5-6 years of the club, so it’s not as if the new stadium will be built straight away anyway.

Meaning 10K could have attended, but only 8K turned up?
Honestly, the truth is that they probably were sold out at a capped 10,000 tickets but for one reason or another (perhaps perceived COVID risk) people decided not to go at the last minute. 😷

Same thing happens at the G. ANZAC day officially sold out and there were 84k there. 16k tickets did not go
And there's nothing abnormal about that. They never get an actual 100,000 to an ANZAC Day game. The crowds normally range in the 80-90,000 bracket. The AFL doesn't care as long as all of those available seats are sold out. It regularly happens in Ballarat where all spaces at the small ground have to be booked. There are 11,000 tickets available and so far 5 of the 9 games played there to date have officially sold out with the ground only reaching 90-95% capacity at best on those five occasions. For the record, the other four games were on either seriously foul weather days in 2018 and during COVID restrictions during 2021.

Last edited:
As an AFL fan I think an indoor stadium in Hobart would tempt me to travel to Tasmania to watch my team.
As it is it wouldn’t be a pleasant experience in Winter.
No different than Canberra or Ballarat in winter,we actually still get plenty of pleasant winter weather.

LABOR CONCERN: Doubts on cost of stadium project​

THE state government’s estimated $750m price tag for a waterfront stadium in Hobart is a “ballpark figure” and the true cost is likely to be higher, documents released under Right to Information laws reveal.

Labor has obtained emails indicating the government settled on and included the $750m figure in a speech draft on February 22 this year – before a rough estimate from experts was even received.

“I think we will need to say when we think it will start and finish and I have said $750m” says one email – whose sender and recipient have both been redacted.

Premier Peter Gutwein announced the stadium bid on March 1, saying it would cost “in the order of $750m” and would be funded by all levels of government, the private sector and equity raising.

Similar city transforming projects interstate have involved significant funding from the federal government.

But the estimate does not include the site costs for building a stadium extending over the River Derwent.

An email dated February 23 from sports facility advisory firm Waypoint notes that the estimated construction costs will also rise by 5 per cent each year until construction starts.

It puts the total cost of the stadium at $747m but notes “add site specific costs = $??????”.

The email notes the estimate was made with “no design, no site information and no defined scope”.

“I reiterate this is ballpark cost advice!” the email says.

“The location will require major civil works and piling over the water which is way beyond any site specific costs include for the benchmark projects,” it notes.

Another email obtained says cost variations on the $275m stadium roof — including the rising cost of steel — could push the total cost of the project closer to the $1bn mark.

“Please note this estimate is not based off any design documentation and is purely theoretical based off stadium roof benchmarking internationally and could vary +- in 50%,” it says.

Premier Gutwein’s former chief of staff Andrew Finch was announced as the executive director of the government’s Major Stadiums Team on May 12.

Premier Jeremy Rockliff said the proposal was more than just about building a new stadium

“Just as Tasmania’s bid for its very own AFL and AFLW team is about more than just the game, the vision for a multi-purpose stadium at Regatta Point is about so much more than just an oval,’’ he said.

“We have seen stadium projects right across the world deliver significant transformation to cities, creating vibrant precincts for locals and visitors.

“As well as delivering social and economic outcomes, a boutique facility such as this in Hobart would provide an iconic gateway to the city, forming a bold vision for Tasmania’s sporting and entertainment future that will put our state on the national and international stage.”

In her budget reply speech on Tuesday, Labor leader Rebecca White said the stadium plan was “reckless economic management” and should be abandoned.

IMG_9280.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back