Hobart Stadium: $750 million cost

Remove this Banner Ad

Absurd idea to build a brand new stadium in a city of 250k people, when they have a perfectly good stadium across the river.

Just a blatant waste of money. The cost will blow out to well over $1B and that is ludicrous in todays market.

Spend 300 million on Bellerive, Spend the 150 million on Launie and spend 250 million on upgrading a third stadium in Melbourne and we are good to go

Absurd idea to build a brand new stadium in a city of 250k people, when they have a perfectly good stadium across the river.

Just a blatant waste of money. The cost will blow out to well over $1B and that is ludicrous in todays market.

Spend 300 million on Bellerive, Spend the 150 million on Launie and spend 250 million on upgrading a third stadium in Melbourne and we are good to go
The location of Bellerive is the problem

The location of Bellerive is the problem

I get that, but surely you can make do for at least the next 20 years.

You could build a massive dock on the south side of the oval with bars/restaurants etc, maybe a big car park underneath to help with congestion, and increase traffic via ferries from the city.

The location is achievable, but challenging.

You could build a massive dock on the south side of the oval with bars/restaurants etc, maybe a big car park underneath to help with congestion, and increase traffic via ferries from the city.

I actually think that may of been alright but unfortunately the AFL didn't see it like that.

I actually think that may of been alright but unfortunately the AFL didn't see it like that.

Could have made an offer to buy the block of houses directly to the north of the Stadium too.

Anyway, what could have been.

I love Blundstone and its bloody sad it will fall by the wayside when the new monster is built

Could have made an offer to buy the block of houses directly to the north of the Stadium too.

Anyway, what could have been.

I love Blundstone and its bloody sad it will fall by the wayside when the new monster is built
Hopefully will still get used for some cricket but I agree that it will be sad.

Big car parks don't reduce congestion, they increase it by encouraging more people to drive.

However Hobart is a driving city. Not a great deal of PT
There could be, if governments invested in it. There was a proposal about a decade ago but the Abbott Government knocked it back. And if Hobart wants to grow bigger, it can't afford to remain a driving city or it will get paralysed in gridlock. Los Angeles has provided us a cautionary tale for when cities try to ensure everyone can drive everywhere for everything, as they have 15 lane expressways and still have terrible traffic.

The Mac Point stadium will apparently be paired with a bus rapid transit system (similar to the Busway in Brisbane and the T-Way in Sydney), which is cheaper to build than light rail (at the cost of lower capacity). But I wonder if an even better transport system could have been built if they'd upgraded an existing stadium instead of building a new one.

That's not as easy to do in a place like Bellerive, because there's no reserved PT corridor, the roads aren't particularly wide for fitting in bus lanes or light rail, and the place seems unlikely to get a lot of traffic outside of gamedays, with most of Hobart's population being on the other side of the Derwent. Maybe it could have worked in Glenorchy. At least with Mac Point, you'd figure the PT corridor will be used on weekdays by people going to work in the city.

3rd stadium in Melburne isn't going to happen.

and even if it was, they certainly wont get money for it from government money put towards a team in Tas.

Its not US. It is the AFL demand. They think the MCG & Adelaide inner city model is best to make it work.

Docks, ferries, underground carpark! Give me a break!!!

Its not US. It is the AFL demand. They think the MCG & Adelaide inner city model is best to make it work.

Docks, ferries, underground carpark! Give me a break!!!

So let me get this straight, you want to build the brand new stadium at huge expense when you have a perfectly good stadium over the river?

So let me get this straight, you want to build the brand new stadium at huge expense when you have a perfectly good stadium over the river?
It's not perfectly good, and it is over the river. It would be like having the MCG in Williamstown. And, as well all know, Tas had offer something too good to refuse to ensure a licence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So, when might we see actual designs.

f9041b4ead35531d8dccd7a2a0d619e1.jpg

Don't worry, Albo has a pwan.

It's not perfectly good, and it is over the river. It would be like having the MCG in Williamstown. And, as well all know, Tas had offer something too good to refuse to ensure a licence.

I think those in charge in Tas had to show a level of commitment that couldn't be denied, or perhaps more imporantly, backed out on later.

The AFL knows the Tas team will struggle financially (etc), and didn't want to be left supporting it on their own.

BREAKING NEWS - Two Tasmanian state Liberal MP’s have just quit the party because of the stadium funding deal and will sit on the cross bench, making the Gov’t a minority on the floor. This moves now puts huge doubt on the government being able to get funding the new stadium through Parliament and makes it very unlikely it will go ahead.

BREAKING NEWS - Two Tasmanian state Liberal MP’s have just quit the party because of the stadium funding deal and will sit on the cross bench, making the Gov’t a minority on the floor. This moves now puts huge doubt on the government being able to get funding the new stadium through Parliament and makes it very unlikely it will go ahead.
Gil says the contracts are watertight.

Last edited:
Hope it falls over. The money should be spent on public housing and hospital beds. Fck the bread and circuses
Guess what - without the stadium, there’ll still be the exact same problems with public housing and hospital beds. And a world which only has public houses and hospitals to offer would be a thoroughly miserable place to live in. Bread and circuses make life worth living.

Guess what - without the stadium, there’ll still be the exact same problems with public housing and hospital beds. And a world which only has public houses and hospitals to offer would be a thoroughly miserable place to live in. Bread and circuses make life worth living.
The Government's job should be to meet the basic human needs of the people. Let the private sector fund the bread and circuses. If this venture can't get up without government welfare then how viable is it?

Edit: if we taxed the mining industry and other large multinationals correctly we could have both.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back