Games & Recreation Homosexuality

Remove this Banner Ad

Now my turn for more honesty....

I'm not homophobic or hate homosexuals. But I hate when homosexuals hit on me. Feel uncomfortable when they do. Don't feel uncomfortable talking to them, befriending them, etc. Just when it eventually develops into them wanting me, asking for my number, making a pass, wink, lingering desirous look.

As for the act itself...males having sex with males....I don't agree with it as such. Like, they can do it. But I don't condone it as such per se as a concept. Hypocritically, I do agree with and condone the act of two females having sex with each other. I know, it's hypocritical and typical. But I'm being honest.

I think the stigma that still sadly exists about being gay prevents a lot of people from even considering the idea that they might be interested in trying things with the same sex if they are curious. I was getting with a friend on a nightclub couch I recently was introduced to during year 12 when her best friend came over and wanted a piece of the action from her, happy to be doing it in the middle of the nightclub, right in front of her mates and my mate who walked past later on to witness this unexpected and bizarre event (as I didn't think this girl would be interested in hooking up with her best mate). While the stigma around lesbians are still there, I don't think it's anywhere near as prevalent when it comes to girls trying things out. Nobody really batted an eyelid and I'm sure if blokes were, they were probably loving watching it.

If it was two guys in that situation they would have blokes staring in disgust, saying things or going around telling their mates to get a load of these "****" or whatever other insult they come up with. I've seen that happen in nightclubs. Two girls and a lot of the time it's far more acceptable. Two male friends are likely to both be disgusted at the idea and think of all the ramifications if they had any sort of interest.

Homophobia is still there, and is very male driven. Footy club culture is the worse and going down to a senior footy club after finishing school made me disappointed at how prevalent the usual slurs still are and how homophobic some blokes are down there. It seems to be ingrained in footy clubs which always crap on about being tough, macho etc and some still seem being gay as some kind of weakness.

The one place I have seen some change, although not enough is amongst high school kids. My school in my early days was pretty disgusting, especially with the attitudes and comments towards three openly gay students. It mainly seemed to be a junior school thing though and a lot of those insults and comments weren't heard about any kid who people might have thought was gay or was a really artsy student (choirboys, drama kids were always on the end of gay jokes amongst mates in school assemblies and other stuff). Senior school there were a couple of openly gay people and all of the insults from people in my year level were unheard of and only one or two dickheads would say stuff to their mates about them. Teachers have a huge role to play and definitely were ordinary in my junior school days. ******, NTTAWWTter etc were insults always thrown around in my first year at high school and a lot of teachers barely said a thing when you said crap like that. It was a catholic school so like usual they're always lagging behind, but I think they finally understood by the time I was finishing, although you could tell there were still some teachers clearly against the idea of gay marriage and still had some homophobic views.

On a lighter note, I headed out with mates for my birthday a few weeks back and somehow ended up kicking on till early in the morning, ending up at Circus which apparently becomes a gay bar after 5am or something like that on a Sunday morning (or at least had on this occasion). My mate had already gone in, completely on another planet and I rocked up 30 minutes later in better shape. Still took me a while to realise that we were probably the only straight guys there and that the two blokes my mate was hanging out with were both gay. Was being hit on as I sat down by some guy which was a interesting experience, and things only got weirder from there with blokes kitted out in eyeliner and trannies suddenly being in abundance. So basically thanks to my mate being too cooked to be aware of his surroundings we went gay clubbing (two blokes tried to make out with him and he still didn't realise what was happening). Must say it was pretty funny looking back the next day. Gay people are definitely much friendlier drunk, it was just really strange being in the states we were in. It would be beneficial to a lot of homophobes to see something like this, and their views might alter a bit. A lot of casual homophobia (if you want to use that term) seems to stem from blokes not knowing what gays are like to be around.

They're just people. Them clubbing wasn't any different to straight people clubbing, at the end of the day just like at a straight club things are overtly sexual and people are sloppy.

Last edited:
I spent my childhood in a small country town with a strong religious presence, and therefore went through school believing that being gay was wrong and something that you should be ashamed of.

After leaving school I grew up and realised that love is love, no matter if it's between a man and a woman or between two men or two women.

Now I honestly can't see why anyone would be against homosexuality (and am ashamed that I held this view when I was a kid). There's really only one argument needed to defuse a homophobe;

It has nothing to ****ing do with you. If you don't like gays, keep it to yourself and don't marry a gay person.

Yeah, my school had gays, and as much as I mentioned slurs being used to tease and bully earlier, the openly homosexual students were rarely vilified.

Had this one bloke hit on me over msn using a fake name, pretending to be from another school in town. Wanted to meet up in the plaza toilets to "try something" lol because he heard I was in to that. Took him another 4 years and a move away to come out after that. I kept his secret til then.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Tapatalk

Interesting that a "phobia" is supposed to be about a fear of something and we generally are sympathetic towards someone who suffers one, but in the case of homo and Islam it somehow means hate instead and is apparently voluntary and unforgivable.

They are misnomers though aren't they, because they're not phobias. Nobody freaks out and stops functioning when they see a Muslim or a gay man, they just don't like that it threatens their view of the world. It is "unforgivable" because it indicates the presence of a selfish, closed mind rather than an open and empathetic one.
And the terms are generally applied to those who actively create conflict with LGBTI/Islamic individuals. There's a difference between not liking something, and actively working to prevent it. The latter means you're just being a selfish dick.

Homophobia is still there, and is very male driven. Footy club culture is the worse and going down to a senior footy club after finishing school made me disappointed at how prevalent the usual slurs still are and how homophobic some blokes are down there. It seems to be ingrained in footy clubs which always crap on about being tough, macho etc and some still seem being gay as some kind of weakness.
I want to touch on this and the stigma that stops a gay footballer ( AFL) from coming out. You are right that a sporting environment is the worst place to be openly gay as there seems to be this idea that you can catch ''gay''.

Your next bit about how schools are becoming more openly acceptable will , hopefully , be the driver of a lot of change in clubs. I think for an AFL footballer to discuss his sexuality will be groundbreaking. It will take a very strong individual to do so. But he can be a trailblazer.

Its my belief , understanding news cycles and media spin , that the 1st openly gay AFL footballer will have front page , back page and an entire spread in the middle (pun not intended) . There will be talkback calls and it will dominate for a week until someone else does something. The 2nd footballer will get front and back pages. The 3rd will get a mention on page 22 as he discusses his decorating choices with his new partner. The 4th will be told to flog off and stop trying to milk his 15 minutes of fame.

Hopefully there is that 1 brave individual

When the woman's comp begins there'll be a number of openly gay AFL footballers, woman for whatever reason seem for more capable of being mature, and open minded about these things. Just recently an Australian Test cricketer married a former England player, could you imagine how that would play out if it were their male equivalents?

IMust say it was pretty funny looking back the next day. Gay people are definitely much friendlier drunk, it was just really strange being in the states we were in. It would be beneficial to a lot of homophobes to see something like this, and their views might alter a bit. A lot of casual homophobia (if you want to use that term) seems to stem from blokes not knowing what gays are like to be around.

They're just people. Them clubbing wasn't any different to straight people clubbing, at the end of the day just like at a straight club things are overtly sexual and people are sloppy.
The best clubbing experiences I've had is in gay clubs. There's a great vibe, music is good, people are friendly, the drugs are good, and its easy to pick chicks up as you have limited competition.

Now my turn for more honesty....

I'm not homophobic or hate homosexuals. But I hate when homosexuals hit on me. Feel uncomfortable when they do. Don't feel uncomfortable talking to them, befriending them, etc. Just when it eventually develops into them wanting me, asking for my number, making a pass, wink, lingering desirous look.

What a load of absolute bullshit. You're dreaming. Or fantasising.

Gotta say, I love a bit of rampant homoeroticism. Watching Sly Stallone and Kurt Russel to and fro on the TV last night like an old married couple/young lovers was exhilarating. I mean, in a movie aimed at men, what reason is there for this?
803982_original.jpg
TANGOCASH07.jpg

The 80s was full of homoerotic subtext. This is a good summary:
http://www.nerve.com/entertainment/2010/08/09/10-great-moments-in-action-movie-homoeroticism

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When the woman's comp begins there'll be a number of openly gay AFL footballers, woman for whatever reason seem for more capable of being mature, and open minded about these things. Just recently an Australian Test cricketer married a former England player, could you imagine how that would play out if it were their male equivalents?

WG Grace would be turning in his grave, it would be akin to a Wallaby marrying an All Black, the shame of it all!!:eek:

I like to think that if there was a genuine conversation there might be much more public support but for whatever reason if the subject is brought up in the pub the one mouthy guy shuts it down fast and the rest go back to drinking their beers.

The gay men my girlfriend have introduced me to at parties have far worse stories than she has. That is quite unfair.

I came out from the other side of the world by letter, although I was barely talking to either of my parents at the time, and looking back I think subconsciously I wanted to hurt them. My old man being a big tough Rhodie, where men, are very much men took it pretty hard for a few years.

Is your relationship with your parents better now?

I came out from the other side of the world by letter, although I was barely talking to either of my parents at the time, and looking back I think subconsciously I wanted to hurt them. My old man being a big tough Rhodie, where men, are very much men took it pretty hard for a few years.

I told my mum first. She took it ok but told me not to tell my father as he wouldn't handle it well. A few weeks later she told him and he was like, "Meh. Whatever". I think he kind of always suspected. I think the fact that I was in my 30s when I told them and I had never shown any real interest in women kind of gave it away too.

I told my mum first. She took it ok but told me not to tell my father as he wouldn't handle it well. A few weeks later she told him and he was like, "Meh. Whatever". I think he kind of always suspected. I think the fact that I was in my 30s when I told them and I had never shown any real interest in women kind of gave it away too.
I was in my early 20s when I came out, and both of my folks now say, oh, we knew all along, but hindsight is a marvelous thing, and their reactions at the time suggested otherwise.

Gotta say, I love a bit of rampant homoeroticism. Watching Sly Stallone and Kurt Russel to and fro on the TV last night like an old married couple/young lovers was exhilarating. I mean, in a movie aimed at men, what reason is there for this?
803982_original.jpg
TANGOCASH07.jpg

The 80s was full of homoerotic subtext. This is a good summary:
http://www.nerve.com/entertainment/2010/08/09/10-great-moments-in-action-movie-homoeroticism

I wonder if mainstream movies could get away with that in the 80s in a way they couldn't now because it was harder to accuse something of being gay back then?

I wonder if mainstream movies could get away with that in the 80s in a way they couldn't now because it was harder to accuse something of being gay back then?

Apparently Crank 2 has a crack at it (maybe not mainstream though) but I haven't seen it yet. The homoerotic stuff was just the other side of a two sided coin, the other being the hyper masculinity they were trying to do. It's the small things though. For example, twice in Tango & Cash, a male character says to another male character "is that a proposal?" with a cheeky smile, and neither time is it rebutted.

Fast forward to today, and film's are going out of their way to make sure the characters are NOT GAY, but it would be ok if one was gay, this is the 21st century! There's nothing wrong with that! but these characters are definitely NOT GAY.

Apparently Crank 2 has a crack at it (maybe not mainstream though) but I haven't seen it yet. The homoerotic stuff was just the other side of a two sided coin, the other being the hyper masculinity they were trying to do. It's the small things though. For example, twice in Tango & Cash, a male character says to another male character "is that a proposal?" with a cheeky smile, and neither time is it rebutted.

Fast forward to today, and film's are going out of their way to make sure the characters are NOT GAY, but it would be ok if one was gay, this is the 21st century! There's nothing wrong with that! but these characters are definitely NOT GAY.

1980s: "That's not gay. They're just having a shower/playing volleyball."

Today: "Hollywood's liberal gay feminist agenda strikes again."

1980s: "That's not gay. They're just having a shower/playing volleyball."

Today: "Hollywood's liberal gay feminist agenda strikes again."

Also 1980s: "Fella's have a laugh and a joke together"

Also Today: "Is _______ secretly gay? Fans push for character to become openly gay!"

or

"Is the humour in _______ homophobic? See the outrage below"

Showdown in Little Tokyo has to have the gayest scene ever!!

It's quite funny looking back on things how the Hetero community was trolled
- Village People
- Importance of being earnest
- Frankie goes to Hollywood

I;m sure there's others that could be added to the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back