How big is this Saturday night’s game going to be? Who brings their ‘A game’?

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Is Maynard’s post game words the first of many this week in the lead up to a huge 1st v 2nd clash?

“We love every challenge that comes our way, and we are sitting on top for a reason. Port better bring their A game because we are coming over there, and we are going to give it our best.”

A few questions asked in this thread:

- Is this Round 19 Saturday night clash this year’s Grand Final preview?

- How refreshing is it hearing players talk up a big game instead of talking it down? What did you think of Maynard’s post game words?

- What impact will the result have on each side’s premiership chances, if any?

No.
- What did you think of Maynard’s post game words?
I thought he was soft. He shoulda said: "Pack the tarps away!!!" and broken into a rendition of INXS.
Asked if Butters was still out injured, called Ken Hinkley a potato and laughed at Tom Jonas.

None.
Port are pretenders.

Edit: Prediction- game over just after quarter time, Pies in cruise control to a half-arsed six goal win.

Last edited:
I keep saying it and a few Port Adelaide supporters cracked the sads but they peaked too early in the season.
Winning is good footy but winning while playing scintillating footy round 10 is a concern. It's unsustainable.

You want to be playing at top speed come rounds 15 onwards. Collingwood been winning ugly most of the year. A few brilliant performances and now have their best 22 starting to settle. It's all about cohesion on route to finals.

Is Maynard’s post game words the first of many this week in the lead up to a huge 1st v 2nd clash?

“We love every challenge that comes our way, and we are sitting on top for a reason. Port better bring their A game because we are coming over there, and we are going to give it our best.”

- How refreshing is it hearing players talk up a big game instead of talking it down? What did you think of Maynard’s post game words?

I didn't like Maynard talking like that, win a flag first before you gob off.

At this stage I'm more worried about Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane, in that order.

It has nothing to do with peaking early but getting injuries and availability issues to key players. Hoping they can get them fit and firing prior to finals to make the most of the ladder position that early wins has afforded them.

At this stage I'm more worried about Geelong, Melbourne and Brisbane, in that order.
I loved the Maynard statement, he is one bloke who will walk the talk , I’m not interested nor impressed when players trot out the club drilled response of “ it’s just another game and 4 points are up for the offering “. No. It’s first against second , we are at the pointy end of the season , the time is now to stamp your imprint of intentions on what you are striving for , The ultimate glory of winning the whole box and dice , take no prisoners , he who dares wins.

I keep saying it and a few Port Adelaide supporters cracked the sads but they peaked too early in the season.
Winning is good footy but winning while playing scintillating footy round 10 is a concern. It's unsustainable.

You want to be playing at top speed come rounds 15 onwards. Collingwood been winning ugly most of the year. A few brilliant performances and now have their best 22 starting to settle. It's all about cohesion on route to finals.
I think was more about Ken trying to secure another contract.

The pressure will build on them to extend his contract once top 4 is 100% secured.

I think was more about Ken trying to secure another contract.

The pressure will build on them to extend his contract once top 4 is 100% secured.
It's sad how Port play for Ken's contract rather than play to win flags.

It's sad how Port play for Ken's contract rather than play to win flags.
They will sabotage their flag chances this year if Kenny hasnt been extended by Prelim Final stage.

Pressure will be intense on everyone.

Cats did it the right way, in terms of peaking last year.

You dont generally win flags coming in banged up into September.

I can’t agree with this. You shouldn’t need to be a premiership player to wear heart on sleeve and speak your mind instead of being a robot and giving robotic answers.

Port have runs on the board against each of these sides this year. They are just as big a threat, particularly if they finish top 2 then get to play out of AO for their 2 finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's more important for Port and top 2.

Collingwood lose won't matter to them.
Going on exposed form, surely the top 2 is a lock.

In no way am I insinuating they’d prefer to lose, but would Collingwood prefer to finish 1st and face a Melbourne or Geelong at the ‘G in a QF, or finish 2nd and play the Lions there? That’s obviously based on the current top 4 staying the same or Melbourne dropping out.

Going on exposed form, surely the top 2 is a lock.

In no way am I insinuating they’d prefer to lose, but would Collingwood prefer to finish 1st and face a Melbourne or Geelong at the ‘G in a QF, or finish 2nd and play the Lions there? That’s obviously based on the current top 4 staying the same or Melbourne dropping out.

Yeah Pies are locked for top 2 win or lose.

Port lose their top 2 spot isn't a guarantee. Win they should be good.

In my opinion, a month ago this would have been the game with the biggest build up of the H&A season.

It now is almost rendered meaningless. With 6 games to go, it is effectively impossible for either to miss out on the double chance. Pies are 6 games ahead of 5th!

Yes top 2 positions aren’t locked in but I would 100% rather be thrashed with not one injury than say an 80 point win but De Goey doing his knee.

Avoiding injuries and suspensions now are the key and ensuring some of our older players are given the opportunity to freshen up going into the finals.

The media will build this up obviously but the significance of this game has diminished significantly

In my opinion, a month ago this would have been the game with the biggest build up of the H&A season.

It now is almost rendered meaningless. With 6 games to go, it is effectively impossible for either to miss out on the double chance. Pies are 6 games ahead of 5th!

Yes top 2 positions aren’t locked in but I would 100% rather be thrashed with not one injury than say an 80 point win but De Goey doing his knee.

Avoiding injuries and suspensions now are the key and ensuring some of our older players are given the opportunity to freshen up going into the finals.

The media will build this up obviously but the significance of this game has diminished significantly
Food for thought. Collingwood haven't beaten Port in SA since 2011 when Port were putting tarps over seating bays at their home games.

Lol, scintillating footy in round 10. We havent even played a solid half of footy yet and still won 13 straight playing a mere quarterhere and there.
I just love how you've all come out the woodwork now that our string of W's ended, it feels nice to know people were holding out for this opportunity.

We beat all 3 of those teams but because we were crap this week, the whole season is invalidated. Footy supporters have one week memories.

Food for thought. Collingwood haven't beaten Port in SA since 2011 when Port were putting tarps over seating bays at their home games.
Collingwood have only against PA three times in Adel since. Once in 2013 at AO and the last time was in 2017.

Ironically pies have played against Adel at AO 6 times since the 2017 game against Port. Pies have won all 6.

Their record at AO is actually fantastic overall and there really isn’t enough of a sample against port to suggest port have the wood over Collingwood in Adel.

Lol, scintillating footy in round 10. We havent even played a solid half of footy yet and still won 13 straight playing a mere quarterhere and there.
I just love how you've all come out the woodwork now that our string of W's ended, it feels nice to know people were holding out for this opportunity.

Speaking of one of those Port fans who cracks the sads 😅

Your best football has been seen, deal with it.
Now comes the drop off. May only be 10% but it's enough for teams like Carlton to beat you.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back